Have you ever found THE pick?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by I Break Things, Nov 9, 2017.

1. E1WOOD5150

E1WOOD5150 Purveyor of Joke Grenades

[​IMG]

I used .73's for a long time, but somehow ended up with one of these and dug it, so this is where I'm at now.

upload_2017-11-10_13-39-34.jpeg

Back in the late 80's, my best friend gave every guitar player he knew 2 packs of these (about 10 players). We've ALL moved about 6 times each since then. We've been through numerous relationships. We've sold gear, bought gear...and these damned picks STILL show up from time to time. I actually found one on the floor of an apartment I was moving into, on the first trip in with stuff. Blew my mind!

Thumpalumpacus and WaywerdSon like this.
  2. ShawnM

ShawnM Member

Dunlop nylon .88's for the last 20 odd years. I do like the white .80 Cool picks with the sandpaper texture pick quite a bit as well.

Attached Files:

3. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Always Tortex. I have gone from .88 to .73 to .60 and then back the other way until I got to 1.0. Now back to .88 for several years. :dunno: :hmm:

Gotta try some fatter jazz type picks, but I go between liking worn down small picks to preferring full size, brand new ones. :dunno: :hmm:

[​IMG]

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  4. James R

James R Premium Member

I recently started using these.
    They're mandolin picks, but I'm really digging them right now.

IMG_0186.JPG

5. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

My buddy from high school loved those. He had a black Sonex that was cool.

Green Tortex is the only way I roll, these days. I started using them about 5 years ago.

6. JonCanfield

JonCanfield Platinum Supporter Premium Member

Use these with my mando too. Never thought to try with guitar

James R likes this.
  7. Meatwad

Meatwad Senior Member

I'm a complete pick junkie.
    I've got a few jars full off the things going back to the 70's.
    [​IMG]
    For playing electrics, I'll usually go with any old Fender 351 in heavy or extra-heavy, or a heavy Dunlop Ultex or Primetone.
    [​IMG]
    When it comes to acoustics, I get a little more.........picky.:D
    I've been through V-Picks, Blue Chips, and a few other brands, but prefer the Wegen 1.2 Bluegrass.
    They have the perfect bevel and feel for me....I love the tone, and they last forever.

8. James R

James R Premium Member

I actually grabbed them just to use with my mandolin, but ended up using one for guitar purely out of convenience (it was laying on my desk and I couldn't be bothered getting up to grab a guitar pick).
    It was sort of a happy accident.

JonCanfield likes this.
  9. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

I've been using these brass picks for going on 10 years, big part of my sound :jam:

[​IMG]

10. Dilemma

Dilemma Loud Pipes Ruin Naps Premium Member

11. meatball

meatball Senior Member

Standard Fender triangle. Heavy ... Prefer the Confetti when I can find them ...

12. captainbraindamage

captainbraindamage V.I.P. Member

Been using these lately.

jp pick.jpg

13. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

Yeah, I wish they were cheaper too. But the grip they have and the articulartion that they add to the tone when strumming make them worth it to me. I do guard them pretty closely though... haven’t lost one yet luckily. ;)

I Break Things likes this.
  14. LP121

LP121 Senior Member

I'm with Dilemma on the Big Stubby. I use the purple 3mm. I did like the Brain picks too, But I tend to shy away from anything thinner than 2mm anymore.

[​IMG]

15. rogue3

rogue3 Senior Member

Oh yeah!...turtle shell( pre-restriction...have papers,:fingersx:) .90mm,strictly for acoustic.

Dunlop brown Delrin,.9mm,for electrics. A very stiff pick for its thickness. Only stiff picks here,flex and nuance comes from the wrist and fingers.

generally ovoid shape,with a sharp tip,that gets worn down over time. The turtle shell must be one of the hardest animal substances on earth,as they just don't seem to wear at all...i've had mini crisis though trying to locate a misplaced one...haven't lost one yet,though i gave four to a good friend in exchange for a whack of vintage 6v6's for my deluxe...brimar and ge. I have a small stash of tortoise.Carrbbean,so i was told at the time.
    The delrin wears,but not as much as it used to because i'm not playing live so often,and tend to have a lighter touch when i play(daily) on my own.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  16. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

I have a fairly big collection of picks. Always pickup a new one at the guitar store. Mainly use either a yellow tortex (for darker guitar/amp combinations that need some brightening) or green tortex (for brighter guitar/amp combinations that need some mids). I'll use a heavy Herco for Page songs. Does add something to the attack and sounds more authentic. And sometimes a heavy Fender tortoise which has a tone about the same as a yellow tortex but with a smoother clearer attack.

17. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

I bought a dozen on the recommendation of someone here. They work really well.