Have Epiphones gotten a lot nicer lately?

Discussion in 'Other Epiphones' started by Monster, Mar 22, 2015.

1. musicmand

musicmand Senior Member

I had a 99 MIK Epi LP Standard that was fantastic. I had to pay 1800 for a Gibson LP (and play through about a dozen Gibsons in order to gain a SLIGHT improvement.

Since then, every 200X Epi I've played has felt problematic. I want the fretboard to disappear under my hands, and I never felt that again. I was in the market for a Dot, but couldn't find one I liked. I ended up getting an Ibanez hollowbody.

Fast forward to about a year ago. I was shopping for amps and pulled an Epi LP down because I didn't want to mess with a Gibson off the wall. I was really quite impressed. Nice fit and finish, great fretwork and intonation, tuners were stable (which was always a deal breaker on most Epis), and the guitars felt right.

Couple of weeks ago I sat down in GC and played a couple of Wildkats and a 339. The Kats felt amazing, and the 339 tone was great (neck was sticky, but that just needed play time to resolve). Long story short, it's now two weeks later and I own a used 339 based on the strength of the one I played in store.

2 people like this.
  2. rocksmoot

rocksmoot Member

I own a 2006 Sheraton II that I bought new and I'm happy to hear that Epiphone has stepped up its game. I mean, I love my Sheraton, the neck in particular, but the electronics and pickups leave a lot to be desired. I'm finally getting around to upgrading them after all these years but it would have been really nice to have the quality you guys say they offer today.

3. sasquatch

sasquatch Senior Member

In 2013 I had my hand on an SG Pro from Indonesia (long gold sticker said 'Made in indonesia')
    this particular guitar had Everything done correct to mock a '62 SG.
    The carve on the upper body and horns were shaved close like a real gibson SG, the plate between the neck pickup and neck was rounded on the sides, not chopped like a square.
    This guitar spoke vintage all the way....and no veneer on front or back. You saw the real mahogany and the pieces.
    Unfortunately i've only run across maybe 3 that were built so fine.
    I do have a suspicion that Gibson said 'Hold it' and put an end to the finest SG built since they came from Japan ( no neck binding tho)
    I'll surely get hacked for saying look for 23 in the 5th digit of the serial number.
    It doesn't matter that I've been digging into serial numbers on Epiphones since 2007, but convincing folks you actually have proof around here can be difficult.
    So, take that in moderation.
    Hope that helps.
    PS If I can dig those photos out i took of it I will try to prove the guitar

4. rem22

rem22 Senior Member

It's funny because the tuning stability problem seems quite common at a given era, and I've never experienced it. Even when I had my first guitar in the end of 2012, a simple LP100 (MIIndonesia too) it had absolutely no tuning stability problem.
    It was very reasonant and even if it has been replaced by a tribute plus, there's not a single day I regret selling it.

5. Bytor1958

Bytor1958 Senior Member

They suck so bad I have a five of them. I don't like a good guitars, then I would have to play better.:naughty:

6. J-E-M

J-E-M Member

I've just bought a G-400 Pro. The only bad things about it are the rough-cut pickguard and one loose tuner - the screws wouldn't tighten, but I fixed that. The best things about it are the pickups (Alnico Classic PRO) - very defined and articulate, even with lots of dirt and the tone controls rolled off. And the fretboard and frets are perfect.

Yesterday I did a search for a new pickguard and matching trussrod cover - 1 ply black. Greasy Groove had what I wanted, but with a $50 charge for international shipping :wow: I had to give them a miss. Further searching yielded nothing - except for one seller, but the pickguard is the stock BWB version. I might just settle for that since nobody else has what I want.

Why is it so hard finding a replacement half-pickguard for an Epi SG?

7. DocWebster

DocWebster Junior Member

The only bad one I ever got was a 08 Les Paul studio. To be fair it's only problem had no effect of playability, sound, or sustain though it should have. I changed the strings right after I got it because it had the usual setup issues they have. I pulled out the neck pickup to wrap it in plastic and tape to keep shavings off during the fret levelling, and there was a bloody great void in the neck joint. It went from bottom of the pocket to the fretboard, 8 mil wide, the whole length of the tenon. It was a cave, Friggin Carlsbad in the neck joint. What to do? Like I said it sounded so sweet and sustained right into harmonics like the real deal and, except for the action, played like butter. I took a chisel and carefully carved the stray finish out of the hole, used a very tiny pop gauge to measure the width of several spots inside it, evened it up as close as possible, then wedged a piece of teak into the hole with glue. I had to split the piece in half to get it in properly but the hole got filled decently. I did the frets and polished them up all purty then put it back together. It sounded the same and resonated beautifully acoustically. It just pissed me off that some human looked at that neck joint and said "Screw it" and just glued it together. My 2 G-400s are solid as rocks and never give me any trouble.