Has this hum happened to your LP?

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by scooter500, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Check out the grounding sticky by jonsey at the top of this lobby (tonfreaks lobby) if you want to learn what to look for and give it a try.

If it gets too much or you dont have the time... A tech is always good :)

bulletproof and Becker34 like this.
  2. Becker34

Becker34 Senior Member

I read the grounding thread. I also talked to the guy I'd take it to. I'm almost thinking it might be a shielding issue, which he suggested. My '80 Standard is dead quiet. It also has the cover/"ashtray" in the CC and the metal sleeve in the switch area. I haven't had a chance to sit down with the LPC and the soldering iron yet, but I doubt that'll help since nothing changes when I move stuff around.

rogue3 likes this.
  3. rogue3

rogue3 Senior Member

yes, another wildcard.If you are in a noisy RF environment, it could exploit a shielding deficiency.With the explosion of cheap electronics from around the world, there is more RF noise than ever.Testing this involves more than going to another room.You have to go miles away...which is why taking it to the shop,just for a comparison is a good idea.Its a laboratory for equalizing the environment so your tech can make a balanced evaluation,since he knows the environment based on a volume of past guitars,and how they sound there ;) .

Did you take it to your guys shop and plug it in, above just talking to him? That may end it right there.

just one example...I use to play a club,in the city, where the stage was maybe 15-20 feet away from an outdoor hydro pole transformer...one of those big buckets.there was no-way of getting away from it when i played there...even though it was a humbucking guitar,if you pointed it at the transformer,hum went up from 2/10 to 8/10...huge jump.so i played the entire night,pointed in the right direction,lol.Maybe there was a deficiency in my shielding,but that sucker over ruled everything.

:) . good luck!

bulletproof likes this.
  4. Becker34

Becker34 Senior Member

I've played it in multiple buildings, using different known good rigs and cables. Same thing. I did not have the guitar with me when I talked to him, however.