Has this hum happened to your LP?

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by scooter500, Feb 2, 2018.

1. scooter500

scooter500 Senior Member

A lousy grounding hum noise when my Les Paul volume controls are between 2 and 8, but the noise disappears when volume knobs are off or wide open.

What is probably going on to cause the hum? :hmm:

2. Jymbopalyse

Jymbopalyse Senior Member

Corrosion .

Try using a can of this stuff.

[​IMG]

Otherwise I might think a faulty pot. Time for replacement.

scooter500 likes this.
  3. scooter500

scooter500 Senior Member

Great idea! Somewhere in my garage think there's a can of CRC QD Contact Cleaner Aerosol used for Mass Air Flow Sensors... looks like about the same stuff.

Jymbopalyse likes this.
  4. C.J.

C.J. Senior Member

I have squeezed everything short of toothpaste in to my pots over the years. The best one was some PC keyboard cleaner that literally caused 1/4" of ice to form on the case. The pots span completely friction-less for a good 10 minutes. That was cool. F***'ers still crackle + now I get MORE output on 1 than I do on 10. Its kinda fun..
    Best 'o luck dere wit dat. :) A good spooge-fest is always time well spent.

5. Becker34

Becker34 Senior Member

I've got the same issue with my '85 LPC. A couple of dumb questions before I start spraying goop in the control cavity, with control cavity pic goodness, since we like pics:
    lpc cc.jpg
    - Do I need to pull everything out and spray from the top or will enough get in through what appears to be part of the post/pot (copper looking thingees in the middle of the pot)?
    - I've got, as referenced above, a can of mass air flow sensor cleaner. Is this usable for this? How careful do I need to be about getting any on the finish?

6. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Old school Premium Member

Spray DeoxIT into the opening under the lugs.

[​IMG]

scooter500, Jymbopalyse and Becker34 like this.
  7. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

I have sprayed contact cleaner in many pots, but for a different problem. My pots would cut completely out on certain settings, but would never produce a hum on those settings. Just golden silence.The cleaner worked fine for that problem. But if there is a hum involved, IDK.

8. Al Walker

Al Walker Senior Member

9. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

Always try cleaning with some contact cleaner before you replace one. Most of the time it does the trick.

10. scooter500

scooter500 Senior Member

Al,

No, I bought this '08 LP Supreme used. Had original '57 model pickups. On the case silk cloth I could see a very mild loss of gold from pickup covers, not enough to scare me away, b/c the gold was still uniform over the covers. Anyway took me years to put 2 n 2 together, that the minor source of hum was the pots. Guess a little h2o got inside the pots. Must have been stored on a boat!

11. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Some scary descriptions of cleaner/etc here. Do as the knowledgable users do and use the correct cleaner sparingly. Do not use canned air, and certainly not excessively as it can cause icing because that stuff is cold and is mean to be used sparingly. As stated elsewhere, hum is not usually a pot issue, but may as well do the nonintrusive cleaning first just in case. Most times, hum is a grounding issue, often when a soldered wire pops off a case, or when something shifts in the cavity to create an undesired contact.

8len8 likes this.
  12. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Oxblood Addict V.I.P. Member

Never mind. Good luck.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  13. rogue3

rogue3 Senior Member

don't forget to try another amp...and swap out cables for new ones(i keep a fresh minty set on hand, for reference).just because.

14. Becker34

Becker34 Senior Member

I sprayed DeoxIT into both volume pots to no avail. Worked it in. No change. I'm having my hum issue with both volume pots identically - hum between 2 and 9. No hum at 0 or all the way to 10. Hum goes away when I touch strings or any other metal connected to strings (everything but the strap locks and cavity screws). Tone pots do not affect hum. If I have the bridge at 5 and neck at 10, or vice-versa, hum goes away. Hum happens regardless of amp, cable or building. Just to reiterate it's an '85 LPC with Shaws and no mods.

So do I have a pot problem or a ground problem? Any links or advice is appreciated. Electrical (and playing) are my weak points on LP knowledge.

15. rogue3

rogue3 Senior Member

if you touch it,hum goes away, then you become the ground.
    so ground connections need to be checked in your guitar.
    I caught this youtube vid,maybe it will help.Goodluck.

Jymbopalyse likes this.
  16. Jymbopalyse

Jymbopalyse Senior Member

This is a good trick every guitar player should have in their toolbox.
    Almost sticky worthy.

17. Becker34

Becker34 Senior Member

Mine appears to have a ground wire. The hum doesn't change when I tug on it. I posted a pic of the CC upthread, but that angle doesn't show it well.

rogue3 likes this.
  18. rogue3

rogue3 Senior Member

But is there electrical continuity in the connections. That's the thing.Just like a fuse can look good,but be bad when tested. One thing is certain,you are the ground when you touch the strings,which connect to the bridge and stop bar(where the gound wire is supposed to have contact)...and the hum disappears.

19. rogue3

rogue3 Senior Member

The best thing you could do at this point bro, since you mentioned you're not a technical guy on this stuff,is take it to a repair shop.All the reputable shops i know will plug it in while you are there so you can show the issue,no charge, and they can get a handle on what may need to be done.simple thing to demonstrate. if it does not happen at the shop,then at least you know its not the axe...if it does, get a quote on the work before moving forward.again...good luck.

bulletproof and Becker34 like this.
  20. Becker34

Becker34 Senior Member

Kinda leaning that way. I've got a shop I trust. It *is* the guitar. It does it regardless of cable, amp or address of the building it's being played in.

The thing that pisses me off the most? Not knowing how to troubleshoot/fix this.