Has anyone tried the Epiphone 50th anniversary 1960 V3?

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Robert Arthur, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Robert Arthur

Robert Arthur Senior Member

After playing about 20 Les Pauls, both Gibson and Epi, I found it to be better than any Gibson under 3 grand. I bought one in Cherryburst. I'm going to buy a Heritage Darkburst one just to have it as well. I'm hoping one day to get a Gibson les Paul, but none of the models they offer has all the features I want(pickguard, Burstbuckers, Flame top, solid mahogany body) at anything near a reasonable price. For the price of a comparable Les Paul, I have a nice collection (imho) including that Epi, A Wildcat, A Gibson Faded Flying V, and an 80 Gibson Sg Standard; all of which gives me a wide range of tones ranging from P-90's to 500t.
    [​IMG]

mfranzdorf likes this.
  2. Robert Arthur

3. gpage13

gpage13 Junior Member

I bought the same guitar for the same reasons.

drpietrzak, LPGuy and Robert Arthur like this.
  4. Surveyor

Surveyor Member

I tried one. It was okay, mainly because it was not set up properly. Completely different from my R8. Nice guitar none the less.

5. vulture

vulture Senior Member

Yeah, the Epi's are very good value guitars. In years past I've had a few different Gibson LP models but the new Epi's are great players.

I'm keeping a eye on the MF site for a 60/3 used for a good price & I'll jump on it.

Currently I'm stuck with an Epi Trad Pro. It's not too bad.

6. sjmckean

sjmckean Senior Member

Do you mind if I ask how much you paid for it? I can feel the GAS building up. :hmm:

7. steeler80

steeler80 Senior Member

That's a really nice guitar! I've been looking at the 1960s tributes (even started a thread on one with a cracked neck but the auction was pulled before I could decide). All of the ones I've seen have had plain tops (and ones that I, personally, don't find attractive. Have I been looking at version 1s? What is the difference in the various versions?

8. sjmckean

sjmckean Senior Member

Even though it's a v3, I think there are only two. V1 and V3, unless V2 is unavailable now. V1 has the chunkier neck, V3 is the slim taper neck.

fumblefinger likes this.
  9. GilmourD

GilmourD Senior Member

I tried one the other day. I actually found the neck on the V3 to be MUCH, MUCH chunkier than I was expecting. In fact, it was thicker than any of the Standards hanging on the wall. I thought the V3 neck was supposed to be pretty thin.

Did I find a mislabeled V3 that was actually a V1 or are the necks on the V3 thicker than what I think of as the 1960 profile?

10. andy3221

andy3221 Member

I have a V1, fantastic guitar, great choice :applause:

11. steeler80

steeler80 Senior Member

Yeah, I looked around some more and found some info. I don't think there was a V2 either (I wonder why they skipped it?). The V1s I was looking at have the heritage cherry top. The V3 has the flame top.

12. gpage13

gpage13 Junior Member

The Tribute Les Paul is a different guitar, it has 57 classic pickups, has coil tapping, and no flame veneer, and a choice of a 60's slim taper neck or the new 2010 asymmetrical neck see the link below.
    Epiphone Musical Instruments - Les Paul Collection

The Limited Edition 50th Anniversary 1960 Les Paul Standard is a limited run guitar with only 1960 of each version produced. Both have Burstbucker 1 & pickups and a flame maple veneer, a COA, and a cool vintage Lifton style case. Version 1 or V1 has the 50's style thicker neck and only come in a heritage cherry sunburst. Version 3 or V3 has the 60's slim-taper neck and comes in Darkburst and Cherryburst. See link below
    Epiphone Musical Instruments - Special Runs Collection

13. gpage13

gpage13 Junior Member

I have the V3 and the neck is defiantly thicker then the slim taper on my Les Paul Special II, but not as thick as a 50's style neck, but I absolutely love the neck as it is much more comfortable than the normal "slim-taper" neck. My guess would be that the the first 60's slim-taper neck were thicker than today's modern slim taper neck and Epiphone tried to recreate that with these guitars.

From what I've read Epiphone put up a poll asking people would they like Version 1, Version 2, or Version 3 with each of their specs and that Version 1 and Version 3 were the most popular and they were the ones that were produced. The Gibson Custom Shop version of these guitars are offered in Version 1, 2, and 3; so if you want to see the specs of what version 2 would have been here's the link
    Gibson.com: Gibson Custom 50th Anniversary 1960 Les Paul Standard

14. Surveyor

Surveyor Member

I'm picking up a V3. It responded well to new 10s and a set-up.

15. steeler80

steeler80 Senior Member

Thanks Gpage13! That's some valuable info!

16. Robert Arthur

899$

17. Robert Arthur

Now that I have played it a while; I have to say I am still outrageously pleased!! The tuners and nut have done their job admirably, which is what I have been waiting to see. With hours of agressive playing daily , this thing stays in tune well. The tone of the rythym pickup for leads is unbelieveable...

18. Robert Arthur

It's actually 1960 total between both Versions.

fumblefinger likes this.
  19. LPGuy

LPGuy Senior Member

I've got a used V3 Cherryburst one in near mint condition on hold right now at Guitar Center...went in last weekend to look at something else and ended up taking this one off the wall, playing it and giving them the down payment within like 20 minutes... LOL! I love the neck on this thing but what really jumped out at me were the Gibson Burstbuckers....sustain for days....can't wait to bring her home for good!!!! :dude:

20. Ovie

Ovie Junior Member

Bought the Cherryburst V3 and lurv it. Gets played regularly and stands up to comparison with my more recent Gibson 50's Studio Humbucker purchase. Can't recommend it enough.

Attached Files:

LPGuy likes this.