Has anyone sprayed Watco?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JuSteve, Mar 7, 2018.

1. JuSteve

JuSteve Member

I have a "T Partscaster" project to finish, mainly the neck. Getting the nut set perfectly square & pretty is always a hair puller, & patience is king.

I also have to sand, stain & finish the neck, (rosewood on maple, Huge; Baseball Bat Thick.) Main question:
    I have a couple quarts of Watco Lacquer, gloss & semi. If you look at the MDS sheet on the stuff, it's Nitro.

Has anyone thinned & sprayed this stuff? If so what mix ratio (thinner & goop) & what pound pressure on air supply? And/Or, does the rattle cans of Watco dry hard. (Deft does not.) I do have a touch up gun, compressor, but I don't have a garage. (Never spray outdoor in warm sun. Lacquer dries before it hits the neck.)

I even thought , a soft brushed on lacquer may work, with 3000 grit wet sanding when fully cured. I'm looking for a worn, gloss finish.

About 40 years ago with a buddy, we custom painted my 62' panel truck & it turned out pretty darn good. I've also "Rattle canned" a couple necks.

Thank You. All is well, and I'm not comfy over on another site.
  2. emoney

emoney Senior Member

I mixed it 50/50 w/thinner and thought it sprayed fine. For the record, I used an airbrush so I probably
    can't help with the pressure thing. I've seen lots of folks that aren't fans of the stuff, but I found that
    it sprayed fine, dried in a normal amount of time, and it's seems to be fine as it comes to hardness.
    I've also never had an issue with the Watco rattle cans. Then again, I never experienced much of an
    issue with Deft either. I always use "Gloss" and the humidity is ALWAYS high down here in the swamp.
  3. B. Howard

B. Howard MLP Vendor

Used plenty of watco on furniture over the years. To soft for a proper guitar finish IMHO
  4. tvr

tvr Senior Member

I would never contradict Brians's level of expertise and always look to him for any possible tips and advise....that said, maybe I have just been lucky but have done 3 builds with Watco gloss rattle can and had great results.....in all fairness I did follow the "rule of threes" but actually did 5 days worth of spraying and left them for 6 weeks to gas off before buffing. Last build I thinned the canned Watco as Emoney did but had better luck with spray cans :) Likely my lack of talent not a reflection on the lacquer....anyway, FWIW
  5. Zeegler

Zeegler Senior Member

I've used the rattle cans extensively and I can attest that it does indeed cure extremely hard. The guitar in my avatar is finished in Watco. The finish is hard as a rock.

I have a quart can that I will eventually get around to using in a spray gun. I'm not sure on the mix ratios off the top of my head, but maybe this will help.

EDIT: Can't figure out how to embed the video, so here's the link.