Has Anyone Else Here Never Played a Gibson Les Paul?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by OldBenKenobi, Oct 3, 2017.

1. SLA1

SLA1 Senior Member

Played an owned serveral Gibson les pauls, but no custom shop, mostly standards and Classics. Did upgrades on them and serveral mic-swaps and really tried all to make them good, but as I got hands on my first MIJ, I sold them and never looked back ;)

2. Droog

Droog Senior Member

I've owned vintage Les Pauls, USA Les Pauls, Heritage, a custom shop R8 and Epiphone Les Pauls and all I've learned is a great guitar is a great guitar no matter its price point. When the drums, bass, and vocals, etc come into the mix, no one can tell or care if you have a Gibson or an Epiphone

Mr Insane, marsten, hobbyman and 2 others like this.
  3. Nick_M

Nick_M Member

For me it's Odd I had a few really cheap and nasty makes and models over the period of a few years but nothing nice.
    I had already had the dream of a Gibson since the age of 12 when I first saw Pete Townsend playing one instead of his usual SG.
    I had over 13 years of not owning even a bloody banjo due to work comitments and now I'm older and have no kids I decided to buy everything I wanted including my first Gibson, and It was worth every penny for me anyway.
    I have never tried any of the other makes like PRS or Fender only cheap interpretations, so I guess I'm a queue jumper in that respect.
    I'm not a guitar snob however good tools can make the job a lot easier, unless your a top musician who can make any plank of wood sound good.
    No matter what anybody thinks though it's really a case of what makes you happy, and I would be just as happy with an old Epi too If I had not taken the bold move to part with my cash. :)

Howard2k and lancpudn like this.
  4. Phil W

Phil W Senior Member

Well I own a couple of them but I'm not sure I've ever really played them ...
    (by which I mean they need a better exponent than me to fully exploit them.)
    I hope to one day before I keel over. ;)

lancpudn likes this.
  5. RevGregory

RevGregory Junior Member

Some of you ALMOST make me feel bad for having paid $400 back in the mid 1980s to buy the mid 1969 manufacture Les Paul Custom I barely play! I do, however, enjoy taking it to shows my much more talented friends are playing and letting them use it for the evening.

6. Mr Insane

Mr Insane Senior Member

The first time I held an LP, I was a Strat guy.

My dad had a Strat, my heroes Hendrix and Clapton had Strats.

One time at Christmas, my brother-in-law handed me his '90s LP Standard. The first thing I noticed was the weight and the 4 knobs on it. I was asking myself why was it so "heavy and complicated?" I thought it was too old fashioned and outdated.

Soon after that I started going to heavy rock concerts. I began to notice that all the bands I liked had a Les Paul. After that, I had to have that old fashioned and outdated guitar.

Now most of the time, a Les Paul is the guitar that feels natural to me.

marsten and Malikon like this.
  7. DarienXis

DarienXis Junior Member

I own a 90's Epi Les Paul Jr with upgraded hardware (I'm still a student, and besides had working before, university makes it hard to me to spend time working), and I dream with owning a couple of LP Standards and one SG.

You can say I've played a Gibby LP Standard, if that's what you mean in the post. When I was around 16-17 years old (I'm currently 21) I worked a little in a local Guitarshop with the local Luthier as a helper and student. The other guy who worked there had a Gibby I think from the 80's, all covered in dirt (you barely could notice the Cherry Sunburst through the blackest dirt I've seen; it looked like it was put under a car that was leaking oil drops.
    The owner let me play with it, it felt dirty in my hands, as well of the strings. And to make it worse (to me, maybe some people find excitment on that poor little Gibson), it was tuning, I think all strings in C# or something like that.

It was a sad day when I remember it, but back then I was quite excited about it.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    lancpudn likes this.
  8. Thermionik

Thermionik Not Fade Away Premium Member

I played some. Some are OK.
    Play what suits YOU...
    ...not what everyone says "you should play..."

ehb likes this.
  9. xeizo

xeizo Senior Member

I've played a friends 70s Gibson LP Standard, it was great, but never really interested in buying one. Too pricey. Yes, I know you can get a worn brown Studio rather cheap but the looks and the finish is kinda part of the magic no bindings no glossy maple top no magic, so no.

I do have a couple of Fenders, but Epis have to do for the LP kick.

About sharp looks, PRS Custom is probably my current favorite, Gibson possibly feels the same considering the new 2018 double cut looks rather similar to a PRS Custom :D

lancpudn likes this.
  10. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Bionic Member Premium Member

You guys are all welcomed over to my place to play my R8. I don’t mind sharing.

lancpudn likes this.
  11. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer The Three G's Premium Member

12. mangus

mangus Senior Member

THey are right, it's not a real Les Paul. It's an awesome Les Paul

northernguitarguy likes this.
  13. mikey19504

mikey19504 Junior Member

Have owned 3. A 78 Standard, a 74 Custom and a Studio from 85. The 85 Studio was the best of the bunch. That said, none even touched my MIJ Fender Strat 62 reissue. Have played countless Strats from custom shops to Squires that even came close. Brand names and country of origin mean not a thing to me. How it feels is the only criteria I have for purchasing a guitar anymore.

14. GermHerm

GermHerm Junior Member

Well, never played an Epi. Have several G LPs - not bad ;)

staffy likes this.
  15. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin Senior Member

Oh man this is a quote to remember
    And so so true.

zamdrang and NewDayHappy like this.
  16. BuayaGuy

BuayaGuy Junior Member

My first guitar in 1991 was an Arbor Strat clone. That was fine as a beginner, and I kept it up until the nut somehow broke around 1999. I donated it to my high school and bought a G&L Tele (was starting to get into that sound at the time) - awesome guitar, lousy distortion even with a decent combo amp and pedal. Sold it back to the store I got it from after about 6 months, traded for my first bass - 5 string Cort.

Finally in 2002, bought my first Epiphone Les Paul Standard (I had been eyeing them for awhile, and knew I wanted one for a few years), which I kept up until just a few weeks ago, when I traded for a slightly upgraded model (metal tuners), which is the one in my avatar - I think it might be a LP Standard Plus, but I can't tell for sure.

When I was trying out guitars prior to buying the Epi, that's when I first tried playing Gibson Les Pauls in the store. At the time, I actually somehow preferred the Epi over the Gibson, believe it or not. The Gibsons sounded a LOT muddier to me (and I was also playing through a Marshall as well, so the tone should've been perfect...), so I ended up with the Epi, and have been extremely happy with both the first, and now second one I own.

About 2 months ago, I found the ultimate guitar that I have to own - a Gibson Les Paul Tribute (which would be my first owned Gibson) in faded Honey Burst HP. Runs about $1200 on Sweetwater, but I think the newer models might actually be closer to $1000, will have to see. There's just something about that natural wood grain matte finish that I'm totally in love with. My local GC had the exact color (which is what drew me to it to begin with), but in a Traditional, not High Performance edition.

I'm not an awesome player, I can't solo for anything (I mainly play riffs/rhythm), but you know...when you *want* something, you just WANT it. It's definitely not a need, but I figure this is MY midlife crisis (early 40's)...can't afford a sports car, but soon I *could* afford at least a real Gibson Les Paul

Malikon likes this.
  17. zamdrang

zamdrang Member

Wow, what an interesting question and personally I was surprised how many responded who have never played one. If you spend any time on the forums and generally "drinking the kool aid" as they say.... its even more amazing, but admirable all the same. I would also add if you play one after much time reading and/or believing all the fluff... you have an above average chance of being disappointed. They are just guitars, wood and wires like any other. They can be very nice, some inspire, some don't. The hype over the LP is completely out of whack IMO.

Thermionik likes this.
  18. BuayaGuy

BuayaGuy Junior Member

Surprisingly, when I played that LP Tribute Traditional model in store, somehow it felt easier to play - maybe the strings were just lighter (which may tell me I need lighter strings on the higher range...), but overall it felt better and easier to play than my Epi LP - and I literally *just* had my yearly maintenance done on it - made sure it had low action, good on intonation, etc.

They *are* just guitars, but there's just something about that Les Paul shape, the way it plays, the sounds it makes...that make me want to own one (or two, when I save up enough for the Gibson :)

19. Malikon

Malikon 仮面ライダー V.I.P. Member

You can say the same about every guitar from Strats to Teles to PRS to Ibanez/ Jackson/ ESP, etc.

They all have fan bases and hype.

Thermionik and ehb like this.
  20. coupe89

coupe89 Senior Member

I think last year was the first time I have tried one.