Has Anyone Else Here Never Played a Gibson Les Paul?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by OldBenKenobi, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Rich

Rich Non sequitur Premium Member

Proving, once again, that just because something is old, that doesn't necessarily mean it's any good. Though a collector would probably pay big bucks for that guitar today.

Who likes this.
  2. Al Walker

Al Walker Senior Member

My first Gibson was a brand new '66 ES 335, my next Gibson was a '66 Melody Maker. My first Gibson Les Paul was a 2016 Studio, which I didn't like and sold. I now have a 2016 60s Tribute (P90s)and a 2011 Gibson Junior (humbucker). Personally I like my Dragontele partscaster and my PGK Doublecut Junior better. It seems I like slab guitars and P90s best. Although I really like all my guitars.

Who likes this.
  3. lancpudn

lancpudn Senior Member

As well as never touched a Gibson guitar I haven't touched a Fender guitar either :shock:
    I have Epiphones, Squiers and Harley Benton guitars only.:thumb:

Who likes this.
  4. SFK

SFK V.I.P. Member

It wasn't old in '61.

[​IMG]

DarrellV, northernguitarguy and Rich like this.
  5. Dick Banks

Dick Banks Senior Member

Yes, but 22 frets are just a bolt-on neck away on a Strat. :doh:

Who likes this.
  6. Rich

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

I stand corrected! :thumb:

DarrellV and SFK like this.
  7. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

I heard they asked Jimi if he minded being used to sell Gibsons, and he didn’t answer, so they took silence as consent.

8. Rock

Rock Senior Member

There are those that think only the ones from 58-60 are the real ones. If that's true, then not many of us have played a "real" Les Paul.

thatF-INGflyingVguy likes this.
  9. Platte City Paul

Platte City Paul Senior Member

I really enjoy playing my '08 Traditional. It's modded just enough (new harness and Faber studs) to scratch that itch. That said, my stock Epi Sheraton II is every bit the player the LP is, and much easier on the wallet.

Marshall & Moonshine likes this.
  10. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

i've never played a made in usa strat or any other fender for that matter.

11. KTM

KTM Senior Member

I briefly played a couple of '57 gold tops back around 1975/76. One guy that worked at the music store I frequented owned them. The first one he owned had checking which he didn't care for and he later sold it after he found a pristine one. A few weeks later he left it in the truck of his car for a few hours in the winter during sub zero weather and when he brought it inside and instead of letting it acclimate to the indoor temps in the case, he immediately opened the case and watched it crack. :shock: I remember the day he told me, he was heartbroken. :doh:

I also played a couple of brand new at the time, Les Paul Deluxe models. To this day I still want a wine red Deluxe... I was a poor high school student and could only afford a copy which is still my #1. A 1976, MIJ, El Maya Les Paul Custom (center guitar in my avatar). A friend of mine in high school had a black Gibson Les Paul Custom. Not sure if it was a 50's or a later one. Even in 1979 it looked old so it may have been a 50's. :dunno:

Who likes this.
  12. Rich

Fender has been doing that for a while - the dude is DEAD.

Fender Jimi Hendrix Stratocaster

:naughty:

Malikon and Marshall & Moonshine like this.
  13. scott1970

scott1970 Senior Member

My "playing" is so poor it could readily be argued I've never played a Gibson Les Paul before in my life.....and I own a fine one! :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Pop1655, DarrellV, Howard2k and 2 others like this.
  14. Digger

Digger Dingo Lover! V.I.P. Member

Chuckle...I was gonna say define "played".

15. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Oh, I agree. I've just been told before that it's not a real Les Paul, usually by the same type that like to tell Epi Les Paul players the same thing.

16. DarrellV

DarrellV Derl Ver.... ERMAHGERD! I'm a sercarstic BOT! Silver Supporter Premium Member

Well, it's not EVER, but it took me 54 years to get my first one and i really never did play one before now. I had a cheap Cortez clone back in the early days, but I wouldn't call what I did then 'playing'.

Traded it for some other long forgotten cheapy.

So no, before I joined this forum, I had never played, handled or owned a Les Paul...

Pop1655 and Who like this.
  17. Greco

Greco Senior Member

I've played lots of them. Sorry.

staffy, Howard2k and Who like this.
  18. MikeyTheCat

MikeyTheCat Senior Member

Here's the irony: if I was touring I'd likely be toting around an top of the line Epi LP and 335, a PRS SE and maybe a Black Top Strat. In the old days a Gibson was it until I went MIJ in the 80's, all the quality without the high risk of getting stolen. These days with one offs the Gibson and PRS are first choices, but if there was more risk it'd be all MIC and MIK. Even MIJ are too valuable these days.

19. smk506

smk506 Senior Member

To be fair I think there are two definitions (at least) of a REAL Les Paul.

I would argue anything with the mans name on it be it a bolt on slab body epi or your gibson special is a real les paul. By the same token I could agree that a 'real' Les Paul is mahogany and maple with a carved top, and doesn't need to be a gibson or epiphany to count.

20. efstop

efstop Senior Member

I bought my first LP when I was 18 or 19, a new, early '70s ebony Custom fretless wonder. Traded it in the mid '70s and never had another LP until my '14 LPMM. I have since added a '13 and a '17 Tribute. There are thousands of LPs for sale in every price range, new and used. Hell, now that I'm old(er) and not so particular, I'd buy a beater with a neck repair and crappy hardware as long as what's left of it still sounded good. The Custom I had, if it's in really good shape, is likely worth twice what the three I have are worth together.