Has Anyone Else Here Never Played a Gibson Les Paul?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by OldBenKenobi, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

I wanted to own a Gibson Les Paul since I was 17 (that was back in 1995)... I could afford one just last year when I was 38 !

It really worth

thatF-INGflyingVguy likes this.
  2. MikeC

MikeC Senior Member

The last electric guitar I played was back in 1999, when I switched to playing acoustic.

I never played one again until I rediscovered Slash, and got myself a reissue last year.

3. Rich

Rich Non sequitur Premium Member

When I first started learning to play in the early 80's, my parents bought me a Yamaha acoustic - not exactly what Ace Frehley played, but it was a guitar. After a couple of years and demonstrating that I was committed, my father brought home a Gibson Les Paul Custom that a friend of his was selling and told me to check it out which was the first Gibson I ever held. I complained that it was too heavy. Who knows what year that guitar might have been. Doh!

facepalm.jpg

4. DavGrape

DavGrape Senior Member

A good Les Paul make you go "Ahhhh."
    Then you get to the upper registers, "Ohhhh."

Prometheus likes this.
  5. Rich

On the bright side, I bought a boat anchor of a Custom brand new after I graduated from college. My '91 Custom with Super 400 inlays, MSSC Holy Grail harness and Electric City Royal Albert pups - a real honey of a guitar when it's not giving you a herniated disk in your back.

Gibson Les Paul Custom Super 400 CROPPED.jpg

DarrellV, Kostas., lakeburst and 7 others like this.
  6. Rich

Upper registers? What's that? :laugh2:

7. DavGrape

DavGrape Senior Member

^That Pete Frampton guy plays up there a lot.
    That '91 Custom would rarely leave my lap.

Rich likes this.
  8. Malikon

Malikon 仮面ライダー V.I.P. Member

hey at least it has 22 frets. Right...FENDER!?!?!?!

Used Studios are usually around $500. though. They're actually less money then a higher end Epiphone.

I like Epis a lot, but even with all Gibson parts,..they don't sound like a Gibson LP.

lakeburst, Howard2k and Rich like this.
  9. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

My first single cut LP style guitar was a Hagstrom Swede circa 1982. It was a beautiful guitar and played and sounded great. I wish I hadn't traded it for a pointy superstrat in the mid '80s. If I still had it, I am sure it would get played.

10. PeteK

PeteK Senior Member

My first electric guitar was a cheap Ibanez. I played that for about a year and then sold it and bought a Cort Les Paul. It was a pretty crappy guitar, but I liked it. I don't know if it's because I'm a pretty big dude (even as a teenager I was 6'6), but the heavier weight guitars like a Les Paul have always felt better to me. I keep trying to like strats, but they just never feel as good as a Les Paul. Several years back I was working a ton of overtime and decided to treat myself to the guitar I always wanted so I bought a Gibson Custom R8. No regrets. It plays like buttah!

11. Rich

At the end of the day, whether it's a Gibson or an Epiphone or any other guitar, it's been my experience that you have to weed through a bunch of them to find a good one. Every single guitar company out there puts out guitars that are excellent, good, and dog dick. I guess it depends on the hunk of wood that is used; I'm a little skeptical about the whole tone woods thing though I do believe that it's at least a factor but, no matter what kind of wood the guitar is made of, some pieces of wood seem to be better than others.

For me, it's not so much about the way a guitar sounds as it is about how it feels. I like a guitar that shakes, rattles and rolls in my hands when I play it so I can feel how it responds. I've read the arguments that this is supposed to be not good because, as they say, the wood is losing energy when it does that. Whatever. I just know that I like that kind of feel in a guitar.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  12. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Senior Member

I still really like my epiphone les paul with the slash pickups. I play it every week at band rehearsal because I leave the guitar in my car during work so there is no way I am leaving my gibson in the car for 8 hours. It's funny because I now ONLY play the epi at rehearsal and the rest of my playing is on the gibson and every week I am impressed with how there is not THAT much of a difference in feel. But then I go home and play the Gibson and I realize that it truly is superior in every way.

thatF-INGflyingVguy and Rich like this.
  13. Rich

I have to admit that I rarely bring my Custom to rehearsal or anywhere else. The f'er is just too heavy to play for three hours and isn't nearly as versatile as my G&L Legacy HB (HSS). Plus, I'm always worried the Custom will get knocked over and the head stock will snap or something; the G&L, like all Fender style guitars, is built like a tank and stable as hell.

I love Gibsons and I love my Custom, but they're temperamental.

thatF-INGflyingVguy likes this.
  14. Dun Ringill

Dun Ringill Premium Member

It's a flat top, but I bet it says "Les Paul" on the headstock.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  15. Malikon

Malikon 仮面ライダー V.I.P. Member

it's a Les Paul,..but it's Special.....like that kid on the bus who licks the windows. :laugh2:

Specials, Jr's and Melody Makers are their own beasts. And cool beasts they are. :dude:

16. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

In 1961, I borrowed a real 56 Gibson LP GT P90 from a music store to see if I wanted to buy it. Even did a few small gigs with it. Price, $60, but it was a wreck so I passed. Other than that, never played a Gibson single cut LP.

Rich likes this.
  17. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

The marketing department of the company that owns Epiphone agrees with @MikeyTheCat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

upload_2017-10-3_11-55-57.png

Wait.... WTF is that last picture doing in here?! :lol: :laugh2:

18. Crotch

Crotch Members Only Premium Member

I've had a bunch come through. Sold them all except a few (3). Rarely play any of them. Strat first, 335 second. That will probably never change.

Rich likes this.
  19. Dun Ringill

Dun Ringill Premium Member

I played a studio the first year they were out. The salesman kept trying to sell me on it but it had no trapezoids.

Malikon likes this.
  20. elephantrider

elephantrider Senior Member

i have a tokai ls that suits my les paul needs. i do own a 2014 gibson mm that i do love, with
    the p90's. the tokai is my #1, though. i doubt any gibson would change my mind, and I have
    picked on a few.