Hardware Comparision Thread

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by ashbass, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Knarbens

Knarbens Senior Member

:photos: Does somebody here has a comperison shot of a Gibson historic cream and a Gibson USA cream colour? :photos:

A lot of people talking about that the Gibson historic rings are kind of pinkish. Well, the Gibson USA cream looks way to dark to me and the DiMarzio rings are white as snow and that's not what I want either. I wanna install historic spec rings since I got my Orville back in september, but can't find a place to order them here in Germany! So I thought about ordering them from the USA and I still search for the right stuff! I think I like Fatboy rings most, but they are very expensive right? I'm looking for cheap, unaged rings in a great cream colour! ...

2. Es Paul

Es Paul Senior Member

I've just bought these DiMarzio white rings. They're pretty damn white. Now, I don't have a pg yet or a poker chip or jack plate. I figured I'd get these to throw in when my ThroBaks come in. How white were the rings when a Burst was brand spankin new? My R9 is a gloss, so I don't want anything aged. I just want it to look like a brand new Burst. I'm guessing they should be a shade darker, no?

check these out.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Knarbens

Knarbens Senior Member

Thank you for the pics Es Paul!
    I think I'm going to order a set of pickuprings (and a little more stuff :D) from the USA! I wanted to go with Gibson sistoric spec rings from sweetwater.com. Now I heard about these DiMarzio rings and I like them! They are cheap and white as snow! If I want them a little more cream, I'm sure there's a way!

So where do you got this DiMarzio rings from? Is there a good online store, selling good guitarparts and these rings? Are these rings already arched? Please help me out guys!
    So where to order these? :rolleyes:

4. Es Paul

Es Paul Senior Member

You can get these easily on Ebay. Ebay seller banjomikez has them. I bought them on ebay on saturday night, I got them in on tuesday. They fit fine. They have the same dimensions as the stock rings, except for the fleshy color. I don't know how I'm going to go about making them a bit darker. I want them to be "bone" white. These are white as snow. They will kind of form fit to the contour of the body. Great rings, cheap price. You can't beat them. My R9 is a gloss, so, I'm trying to make it look like a brand new burst. I don't want anything aged. Good Luck!

5. Knarbens

Knarbens Senior Member

So the one's you ordered are arched on the bottom? There are tall white rings on ebay, but they say flat bottom! :rolleyes:

6. Es Paul

Es Paul Senior Member

they are all the same. The plastic moves with the contour of the body.

7. Lefty Elmo

Lefty Elmo Senior Member

I just bought a Vintage Clone pickguard and pokerchip from Gord Miller. Here they are along side the Historic guard that came with the guitar, and a 70s Norlin era guard for comparison. Also for comparison are three different sets of pickup rings. The typical pinkish Gibson Historic, a nice set from RS, and (installed on the guitar) a set of the English made , "Across The Pond" rings
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Danelectro

Danelectro V.I.P. Member

My POS camera seems to shift the tint a bit on every photo that I take, so although you may not be able to tell what exact shade these parts are, you can get a relative comparison of the different parts in each photo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. buyusfear

buyusfear V.I.P. Member

10. Mr Bones

Mr Bones V.I.P. Member

I bought some of the white Dimarzio rings, and couldn't do anything with them. They looked way too white, and didn't dye very well. They may only be $5, but save it for a six-pack.

11. Es Paul

Es Paul Senior Member

i haven't tried dying them bc the bobbins on my Throbaks are a creamy color and match the stock rings quite well. I'll post a pic. I heard that RIT Dye is the stuff to use with these rings.
    [​IMG]

12. BOBBO

BOBBO Banned

Over the Pond rings on the guitar , DMC off the guitar ...

[​IMG]

13. Poligow

Poligow Senior Member

great thread !

i have a full set of Montreux on my R8, i'll post some more pics soon.

stock historic / Montreux "new" :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Montreux switch tip, 56 r/t ring, toggle switch nut:
    [​IMG]

Montreux knobs, DMC pointers:
    [​IMG]

14. Poligow

Poligow Senior Member

15. fretonme

fretonme Senior Member

guys that was a really great thread! It blow my mind!and yes this should be at lest a weekly thread to show how we can change the looks of our guitars to our own liking.great job!!!!!!!!!!!

16. The Thruth

The Thruth wizzard MLP Sponsor

hey guys where do you buy decent cream pickguard materials?
    i'm looking for some replika pickguard look? :thumb:

17. ashbass

ashbass V.I.P. Member

This is post from another forum I made a while back:

I did the best I could on the color in the photos but they don't show the color of the new stuff correctly. In some photos at least you can gauge the difference between a historic pguard and the new plastic.

Anyway, I have white/dyed pup covers for my R4 but have had the guitar naked (no ring or guard) because the stock guard is lame looking compared to the "kind of" authentic color of the pup covers. After my dying success I figured I'd get a white sheet of plastic and make a white pguard so I could then dye it as well. My first stop was a crafts store called Michael's and honestly in the last row I walked through, I saw these little paint palette things that looked pretty good--not white, but good still.

[​IMG]

The palettes are thinner than the Gibson pguard, but they're not floppy so I can live with that.

[​IMG]

I did a trace and some cutting, then some sanding, and ended up with this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm dying the pguard now so more pix will follow when I'm done.

=================

Here we are then. The guard is growing on me though I thought it was too green looking at first. The yellow in the dying process was maybe a mistake (recipe for dying I got here aging successes and failures - Les Paul Forum. I made a second one which looks better as far as the shape and cutouts and left it undyed. Maybe I'll hit it with just some cocoa, maybe not.

Fot the dyed one, after I took away some of the cocoa from the middle, leaving the edges darker ala BOTB guards, and put it in a straight yellow mix, a lot of the cocoa that I'd left vanished. There is a faint hint of it around the bottom curve still. So it's more subtle than my goal, but it works and now I can have a pguard on the guitar again.

The black pup covers are there because I failed miserably at dying a pair of snow white covers I had. Yuk.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. The Thruth

The Thruth wizzard MLP Sponsor

what do you guys think about this one from grizzly:
    [​IMG]

H6386 Pick Guard Blank Cream .075"

it has 0,070" thickness :hmm:
    but is the color pikish/orange like on stewmac's material?

19. Danelectro

Danelectro V.I.P. Member

The "grizzly" material looks about right in the photo, but you won't know exactly what the shade is until you get it in your hands. The .075" thickness is incorrect for a guard

Here is the stock photo from Stew-Mac's website (looks like it might be close to the proper color)
    [​IMG]

This is what I received (sheet is Stew-Mac plastic, guard is guitar is cut from 2008 WD material - see below)
    [​IMG]

Here's is the Allparts stock photo. Their material is identical to Stew-Macs
    [​IMG]

Here's a comparison of various materials
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]