Hardware Comparision Thread

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by ashbass, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Wayek_

Wayek_ Member

Nice! I've emailed them from their site about those and haven't got a response yet

2. coldengray

coldengray V.I.P. Member

My Shanks has reached perfection...the only thing left to do is have the Montreux bridge notched and installed. Check out the Vintage Haven poker chip and Vintage Haven/OTPG cream rings...simply perfect with a heavily aged MojoAxe guard.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  3. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

All the Window Dressing is just killing me fellas. :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Just taking the piss guys but for the life of me who looks at their Switch Tip, Rings, Poker Chip, Guard & Covers when they are playing. :shock:

You are playing them aren't you? :naughty:

BTW, Happy New Year to all. Hope 2016 is a healthy, happy & successful Year for all. :)

:cheers2:

1 person likes this.
  4. jerry47

jerry47 Premium Member

I Just bought all new plastic's .I've also been working on a way to naturaly age the Metal piece im so sick of seeing chemically aged steel parts it's completely fake to my eye's so this is what I have now.
    Rings are "Vintage Haven" I had Steve do a heavy ageing to them, But once I got em I had to add some color, I don't care what anyone says rings are not bone colored They get washed out on film. Period!
    Pickup covers are: Ver2 DMC.
    Guard is Mojoaxe,But again I had to add extra aging.,
    Switch ring is "Vintage Haven"
    Switch Nut is DMC i did the aging.
    Knobs are stock Historic, I did the aging, I had a well known persons knobs but they looked and Photoed Greenish, I couldn't deal with that!
    All the screws & brackets are aged by myself at home, I have some close up's of different stage's in the aging process.

The neck ring has not been age the bridge ring has, Only halve of the guard is aged here.
    [​IMG]

Guard screws after aging.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Screws & switch nut after aging.
    [​IMG]

Rings during ageing you can see the guard fade line but not finished.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  5. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Recovering Oxblood Addict V.I.P. Member

Looks great! :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  6. jerry47

jerry47 Premium Member

More

switch nut DMC, Truss rod cover screw.
    [​IMG]

Input jack nut self aged

[​IMG]

truss cover screws self aged.

[​IMG]

Historic knobs self aged.

[​IMG]

Guard Bracket self aged, What i like about this is i can leave some of the nickel natural and age the parts i want aged. Not the best picture.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

Looks good....

Be carefull with overaging....its easy to do, Screws have more of a shine if the guitar is played and there is a lot of gunk "schmunda" in the crevaces. (where the driver goes)

The plastics look great. You didnt show the covers.

I also did (and over did) the knobs on all my aged guitars.

1 person likes this.
  8. jerry47

jerry47 Premium Member

More

A close up of the Vintage haven ring & DMC cover and aged screws after put together.

[​IMG]

Guard and bracket & screw finished.

[​IMG]

I really couldn't captor it in these pictures But believe me up close it looks cool.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  9. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

Looks great!

Now some "play spank" on those covers and your all set...

The rings and the gaurd look as they should.

1 person likes this.
  10. jerry47

jerry47 Premium Member

Thanks Vic, Yeah i hear you on the over aging of the screws, But i figure it'll get some wear after playing and should be in the right looks range. Thanks again!

11. jerry47

jerry47 Premium Member

One other thing i was going to tell ya,When i finily get the rest of the cash together, I'm sending it off the HM, im going to have them do a copy of Eric E, Memphis mojo Burst, With all of the gunk "schmunda" in the crevaces. as you put it as they can fit, I'm doing the correct headstock inlay everything, It's going to be a mess Lol. I can't wait to be honest, I've been saving forever it seems. I just started a second Job so it shouldn't be to much longer.:naughty:

1 person likes this.
  12. Sct13

Sct13 Premium Member

Very cool !

Your gonna love the outcome!

1 person likes this.
  13. Begd

Begd Senior Member

Dave Johnson aged pickguard, Bartlett rings mounted, Throbak lightly aged bone sitting on pickguard... Fyi, Bartlett rings, accurate or not, are just awesome! Mine are Version 3, which is the lightest in color, and they are more parchment than peachy or pink.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Area 59 guard and Throbak Heavy Aged Cream rings... Not Sure if I like the pinking, but I'm certain that I'm wasting money!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. flimz

flimz Senior Member

Here are some pickguards for comparison.
    Left: Historic
    Middle: Mojoaxe lightly aged
    Right: Dave Johnson true vintage
    Mounted: Mojoaxe aged
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  15. ashbass

ashbass V.I.P. Member

I want to get a MojoAxe pickguard but I like the guard and switch ring to be the same color and they don't appear to sell poker chips. Can someone in the know direct me to a switch ring that will match the MojoAxe guard? thanks.

16. ashbass

ashbass V.I.P. Member

Got the mojoaxe pickguard and just can't get used to it. I have a 98 goldtop which has the bridge pickup too low by 1/8 inch and this pickguard is stretched to fit properly without the pickguard+pickup gap that is normally present on this guitar. But with the new pickguard on it looked weird, like just the wrong size. I'm so used to normal pickguards that the longer new pickguard made the whole guitar seem out of place. Color is fine, but I've got the lame 98 pickguard back on for now.

Who makes the best color matched Switch Ring and Pickguard? Those two should be the same color, and the rings another color. But I can't find any comparisons. Sure, the brown historic ring and guard are the same color, and the gibson usa stuff is the same, but those all suck.

Help me out here.

17. ashbass

ashbass V.I.P. Member

Kluson has some decent repro parts for affordable (for me anyway) quality parts. These won't fool a vintage LP expert, or maybe even novice, but they are cheap and they do me right. This tailpiece with steel studs costs $60. The site says brass studs but mine were magnetic/steel.

"The KlusonĀ® aluminum stop bar tailpiece is true to vintage specifications. Made from light-weight aluminum to increase string definition and resonance on those instruments using darker tone woods like mahogany, while reducing weight. Comes with studs only. Inserts for sale separately in 2 lengths as well as heavy and fine knurling. "

[​IMG]

Kluson Abr1 with wire $40, no wire $60
    Steel thumbwheels

"This is the Kluson ABR-1 bridge with the retaining wire and raw brass saddles for great tone transfer. True to original mounting specs. The saddles are held in place with a thin wire securing the intonation screws and saddles into the frame. Adjustable in height with thumbwheels and threaded rod that uses no body inserts just like the originals! "

[​IMG]

18. ashbass

ashbass V.I.P. Member

Here starts 4 posts with several pix of vintage P90 guitar plastic. I used these back when I was hard into plastic in the mid 2000's.

First, 1956

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. ashbass

ashbass V.I.P. Member

Second, 1955