Hardware Comparision Thread

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by ashbass, Oct 25, 2007.

1. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

I just did a harness on a guitar at my shop that had those on it, so I got to have a nice look at (and under) them.

They look good!

I think the gold color used is not bronze and the green is something like spray paint. That's fine, of course. They just won't continue to "evolve" and show more green over time as the oxidization occurs, like the originals.

Please understand, that's not a criticism. That may be exactly what is desired for a given instrument in many cases. Just sharing my recent observation.

1 person likes this.
  2. InfiniteeZ

InfiniteeZ Senior Member

I want to see more of the new Montreux parts, namely the new (and less expensive) m69 rings and bonnet knobs as posted by alexvdl at the top of this page.

1 person likes this.
  3. bossaddict

bossaddict Premium Member

Here are some of the knobs on my '13 R8...

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. InfiniteeZ

InfiniteeZ Senior Member

Thanks brother boss! Anyone got more to share?

1 person likes this.
  5. bossaddict

No problem. Here are some more detailed shots of these and also the black ones on my B7...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  6. alexvdl

alexvdl Senior Member

Home aged Montreux retrovibe cover on DiMarzio PAF 36th anniversary regular spacing. The pickup pole spacing is a tiny bit too narrow, but the vintage spaced cover fits perfectly without deformation :dude:

The pickup in the background is also a DiMarzio 36th PAF, but with a VOS Gibson cover. Also fits perfectly.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. InfiniteeZ

InfiniteeZ Senior Member

Splendid Boss, thanks again man!

I was considering selling my DMC knobs for a set of the new Montreux so I wanted to see what they look like.

1 person likes this.
  8. bossaddict

I was swapping out some poker chips yesterday and decided it was a good opportunity to do a comparison shot.

[​IMG]

9 people like this.
  9. bosnialove

bosnialove Senior Member

It amazes me that people are prepared to pay so much money for plastic parts and other correct stuff. You can do whatever you want to it, but it will never become a 1959 LP, even if youy would put all original parts from a '59 LP on it.

The upper statement is the reason why I not really care about vintage correct parts if it's not affecting the tone of the guitar.

However, I do have some rules:
    1. I would like to have USA-made plastic parts;
    2. ALL THE PLASTICS NEED TO HAVE THE SAME CREME COLOUR. It looks so bad (my opinion) if a guitar has mismatching creme coloured parts.

But even then, I wouldn't pay more than $100,- for a full plastic hardware set.

On the other side.. It is your guitar and your money, so if you want to spend so much money on those vintage correct parts, ignore me!
    I do love looking the results to see how close it can become to fool someone thinking it a real '59.. :p

Since I have a 1993 Reissue with a 60mm spacing between the pickups, not every pickguard fits my Goldtop. So I need to ask one of them to make a custom one for me.

Great thread!

10. coldengray

coldengray V.I.P. Member

Cool story bro.

11. db3266

db3266 V.I.P. Member

12. InfiniteeZ

InfiniteeZ Senior Member

Out of curiosity, does anyone have the Bartlett Pickguard? I was on their site gawking at the rings recently when I saw they offered a guard as well and I was intrigued.

Thanks in advance :)

13. flameburst

flameburst Senior Member

Since my 2003 Tom Murphy ultra-aged Yamano R9 is between strings and a pickup change (Thanks Mark at OX4), in an OCD driven, AVH moment I decided to hand age the plastics a bit better for the guitar - eek! :D

Pictured here are a set of THP (Area 59/The Hysteric Parts) pickup rings and Fat Boy Foley pickguard, shown with some very worn original '59 PAF covers I've had for a while.

On the guard, I've scalloped out the area between the pickups in the area under the top E string to simulate wear (just needs surface patination now from playing!), and a slight amount of finger wear scalloping in the area under the rear p/up cover, where a pinky would erode and rub. I've also simulated some discolouration on the pickguard in the right places.

The THP M-69 rings have been shaped, lightly tinted and eroded to match. I'm quite pleased with the results:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Took absolutely ages to get these looking just right. Lots of elbow grease!
    I'll add some completed shots of the guitar once I get those pickups dropped in.

5 people like this.
  14. bossaddict

I was really interested in the Bartlett pickguard as well. I contacted Tom and he indicated that he doesn't think his guard will fit any of Gibson's modern Les Pauls. He said the pickup routes might fit, but that the screw location is different. I'm guessing he is just making these for his amazing Bartlett Retrospec guitars.

1 person likes this.
  15. InfiniteeZ

InfiniteeZ Senior Member

Thanks for the info Boss! Hmmm I'm still interested in it, if I really like it I wouldn't mind covering the current hole and making a new one :shock: :)

I'll probably order it next month

1 person likes this.
  16. bossaddict

I'd be interested in hearing your results! :fingersx:

1 person likes this.
  17. bossaddict

I've been tuner button juggling lately, so I took a comparison shot before selling the ones that I'm not going to use. I initially tried to take a single shot in natural daylight, but the detail wasn't shown. I ended up just going down the line, taking individual shots, and putting them together in one image. The downside to that is that I can't be sure that I was the same distance from each when I took the picture, so please don't take the scale of these relative to each other too literally. The detail ended up showing pretty well, but I will say that the Retrospec and Uncle Lou look very similar and are both a little more translucent to my eyes than is shown here. Anyway, hopefully, this is still helpful even with the noted flaws.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  18. Sct13

Sct13 Gold Supporter Premium Member

Nice comparisons!!! :)

but your actually missing two....

The Older DMC ones that glow.

A real set in various stages of decomposition.

thanx for posting :wave:

1 person likes this.
  19. hidetox

hidetox Senior Member

Many thanks for this. Was deciding between a RS and a retrospec, went for a retrospec instead. Great comparison shot!

1 person likes this.
  20. Faceman

Faceman Senior Member

Here are a few current comparisons. All Gibson stock parts are from my 2013 R8.

Montreux CAB rings (top) compared to stock Gibson (bottom)
    [​IMG]

The Montreux rings are really nice. Definitely on the lighter side in terms of color, but I look forward to the aging that will naturally occur.

Tailpieces - top is stock Gibson, middle is aged Montreux and bottom is Area 59. The Montreux and the Gibson are almost identical in shape and detail. Great aging by Montreux, so I went with that one over the Area 59, which was a bit too shaped and smoothed for my taste.

[​IMG]

This photo compares the Montreux and Area 59 tailpieces. The Montreux is the same thickness as the stock Gibson and as you see here, it is a bit thicker than the Area 59.

[​IMG]

Except for the MSSC aged studs, the photo below is all Montreux - aged tailpiece, aged ABR 1, thumbwheels and CAB rings (pick guard is a placeholder until my Montreux arrives).

[​IMG]

Input Jack Cover - left is MSSC aged and right is stock Gibson. I love the MSSC cover. Nicely aged and it looks great with the aged screws, nut and washer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tuners - stock Gibson on left and MSSC aged on right. The MSSC tuners look awesome. Not overdone. Just the perfect color. Probably one of my favorites parts on the guitar.

[​IMG]

Knobs - stock Gibson on bottom/Montreux on top

[​IMG]

Switch tip -Montreux catalin tip on left/stock Gibson on right

[​IMG]

Poker chip - stock on left/Montreux on right.

[​IMG]

More to follow.

6 people like this.