Hardware (bridge & tailpiece) and tone on a Les Paul

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by B5Erik, Aug 14, 2017.

1. B5Erik

B5Erik Senior Member

So I've got this cool Les Paul Custom Studio body and neck coming, and I think I know which pickups I'm putting in it (ReWind slightly overwound PAF-1 with an extra short Alnico 5 in the bridge, and a complementary ReWind PAF-1 for the neck). What I don't know is what hardware I'm going with.

I've never changed out bridges or tailpieces on a Les Paul (and I've owned several), so I don't know what to look for. I'm thinking about going with black (instead of nickel), both with the bridge & tailpiece, and with the tuners.

So my question is this - what would you recommend for a bridge and tailpiece, and why?

My understanding is that the bridge and tailpiece can have an impact on tone and resonance. Not a huge impact, but an impact - and I don't want it to be a negative impact (making the sound twangier or cutting sustain). So what brands and models are good for tone - enchance the tone?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. DarrellV

DarrellV Murry Chrirstmers to earl! Silver Supporter Premium Member

3. B5Erik

B5Erik Senior Member

Yeah, I did a search, but didn't quite find what I was looking for. I've been trying to see what's available on Philadelphia Luthier and StewMac's sites, but I'm not finding a whole lot - especially in black.

Also, this guitar has an ash body & top, and while I like the tone I got from a previous ash guitar, I'm not sure how that will work with various bridges and tailpieces.

I'm still looking through the threads from your search, but having no experience changing these out (or putting them on a stripped body) I'm just trying to figure out what might work well with the ash body, and what I should avoid.

4. B5Erik

B5Erik Senior Member

Much of that is what I found in my search (some was new to me), but most of it is 6 years old or older. Many of the links are dead, too.

And I'm having a really hard time finding black bridges & tailpieces other than on ebay, and most of those are cheap Chinese made and who knows what alloys they really use.

5. DarrellV

Hang on a sec! Paging @Christosterone ! You in here still, buddy!

This guy would like to know where you found that nice black hardware you put on your latest build....

6. DarrellV

7. DarrellV

Meanwhile I have heard good things on here about these guys. They also make black.

[​IMG]
    They may come in metric and SAE so make sure you get the SAE for an American Gibson body which yours looks like.

The tail studs will prolly screw right into the inserts that are there already, no need to pull them out. Try them first and save yourself some work.

The bridge is a Nashville design that sits on top of the wood. These bushings lift out fairly easy. The Tone Pros comes with new black bushings threaded onto the bridge studs in the pack.

These things are really simple to install, just screw the studs in and adjust to height that you like.

Don't put the pieces on till you are ready to string it. the strings hold everything on.

They will fall off on their own..

EDIT: Oh, snap! They have an allen screw that holds the tailpiece onto the studs!
    Forgot!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  8. B5Erik

B5Erik Senior Member

That was one I saw on ebay. I may very well end up getting that set. I've read good things about TonePros, but I've also read a lot of good things about Faber, but I haven't seen any in black. (And my impression is that Faber is more expensive, but might be worth it - might be.) And I have no idea if anyone else has anything as good or better in black...

9. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Without having 1 set of hardware on the guitar, 'tone' is impossible to determine. And how it works in your rig is something we can never EVER know.
    The Tonepros is a high quality set you could happily buy knowing that, for the materials used, it won't get any more well made with quality raw metals.
    After that, you will need to see what you hear (or don't hear) with what you have on the guitar. But there are other things like pot and cap values you use in the electronics side, plus magnet types in the pickups that can be used to tweak tone.......as black parts are very scarce and you are unlikely to have your choice of tweak there.

DarrellV likes this.