[Hardware and setup] My friend's Stagg single cut. Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by rogombor, Nov 1, 2015.

1. rogombor

rogombor Member

I have a friend who has a Chinese Les Paul copy (Stagg L250) and he asked me to set it up. This is the guitar:
    [​IMG]
    There is a problem though, I can only set the strings so low before fret 19 causes buzz. I'm not sure if it's a fret problem or a neck angle problem though.
    [​IMG]
    I should have taken another pic, I'll take it when I go to his place again, but you can see it has a backwards angle. The thing is that while the portion of the fretboard that goes on the body has this backwards angle, the neck itself doesn't, it's pretty flat unlike on an actual Les Paul. Notice that the distance between the strings and the fretboard increases as we move towards the nut.

There's another thing that bothers me about it: the posts (both the tailpiece and the bridge ones) look lifted from the side opposite to the neck. I'm not sure if this is a manufacturing defect, if it's alright, or if it's a problem caused by string tension.
    Seen from above:
    [​IMG]
    Seen from below:
    [​IMG]

Thanks in advance folks!

2. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Regarding the strings, perhaps the nut is too high. Perhaps the neck has too much relief. Perhaps the bridge is too low. From the pics, I'd guess the following solution: raise the bridge a tad and tighten the trussrod. But without a pic of the neck or knowledge of its relief, that's only a guess.

1 person likes this.
  3. rogombor

rogombor Member

I think the nut may be the culprit. The neck has just enough relief (put a ruler supported on fret 1 and 12 and you can pass a .09 string between the ruler and the 7th fret). The bridge is as low as I could get it without getting fret buzz on fret 19 (the other frets aren't a problem).
    I'll try to post more pics tomorrow if I go to his place.

Something I just realized I missed to adjust: pickup height. It's unrelated to the problem I asked about in the thread, but maybe I should get them higher.

Another question: is a bone nut a noticeable upgrade in tone or is that just cork sniffery? I read something in stewmac but I take stuff I read from salesmen with a big pinch of salt. I think everyone here is familiar with Ed Roman for example.

4. BGD

BGD Senior Member

Sounds like you could be on to something with the nut. BUT, you want to raise the bridge; not lower it. You're trying to offset that "upward" angle from body to neck. So raise the bridge. You'll get higher action, but theoretically, this should help defeat the buzz.

5. rogombor

rogombor Member

There was too much relief indeed from the last setup we did. Here are some pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I straightened the neck a bit and I'm waiting for the new setup to settle down. This time instead of using the straight edge method I just checked for fret buzz on low frets.

6. SGeoff

SGeoff Premium Member

without actually being able to look at this guitar, its tough to say for certain..but because its a bolt on neck, perhaps this guitar would benefit from a shim, to angle the neck back a tad:hmm:

2 people like this.
  7. Slick

Slick Senior Member

This +1 :thumb:

It looks that there is hardly any neck angle to me

1 person likes this.
  8. GBLEV

GBLEV Senior Member

Any reason why the bridge is on backwards? I can't see the saddle slots too good in the pics, but if the string isn't setting right because of the bridge being on backwards (i.e, high on low e saddle, vice versa) could cause some buzzing issues.

1 person likes this.
  9. rogombor

rogombor Member

Oh, it's designed like that. Remember it isn't a legit tune o matic. I had to remove the 3rd saddle and put it backwards to get proper intonation.
    According to my friend, when he got it in 2011 from the store with a set-up, the strings were closer to get fretboard and there was no buzz.

10. GBLEV

GBLEV Senior Member

It looks like an abr wired bridge to me, which would have the screws facing the pups. I couldn't see in the pic too well, but it almost looks like the slot for the high E is way too wide. If so, then it might be on backwards. Which could give you all kinds of problems if you didn't swap out all of the saddles to match. Good luck with it.

11. rogombor

rogombor Member

It's wired, like an ABR, but it comes like that from the factory, look at this pic:
    [​IMG]
    I tightened the truss rod a bit and it's better now, however it's been days since I last tried that guitar.

12. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

I'll tell ya what, i enjoyed this because you at least gave this a try, and asked questions, with photo support.
    Take the rest of the day off..with pay.

1 person likes this.