Halo Sport - using it to improve guitar playing?

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by Barnaby, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

I've been interested in tDCS (trans-cranial direct current stimulation) as a means of improving muscle memory and performance for musicians for a while in an abstract sense, but a company thinks they've come up with a mass-market device that works well. I was extremely cynical about it, but thought it worth a test. The thing is called the 'Halo Sport', and claims to improve performance in athletes and musicians.

Mine arrived the other day and I put aside enough time in each day to do a proper practice session, come what may. Therefore, I have been doing a personal trial and am also keeping a video diary. I love to play the guitar but am also suck pretty hard at it. My idea was to see whether the device could help me get past some of the limitations in my (very bad) guitar playing. This is the first part.

2. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

This is the next part of my test of the Halo Sport for guitar playing. There are a couple of videos to go, but I have to say that I am struggling to find benefits that can't be explained away by a combination of the placebo effect and simple, directed practice. Still, I will give it an honest trial.

3. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

I've now finished the trial of the Halo Sport for guitar playing, but am still catching up on editing the video diary. I think it's important to make sure that each session is included for anyone who is interested enough to track what happened. Here are days seven to ten. As you will see (if you watch it), this marks the change from cautious acceptance that there may be some effect to cynicism about it. The next video will be days eleven to nineteen, followed by the last day and my final thoughts.

4. paradice

paradice Senior Member

Never tried anything like this so cant say for certain....but as you say....being busy with work...the fact it makes you practice more is what will help. I think.

Sounds like your hands are out of sync when picking...I have the same problem. Sounds OK for slower stuff but start missing notes as things get faster.
    I'd try doing those exercises at 40bpm or something until they're smooth and effortless, no gaps between notes. Not staccato. Not just managing to play each note...
    If you've been playing 6-7 years it could take weeks/months to get them properly in sync.

I may be wrong but maybe that'll help...

Barnaby likes this.
  5. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

I think you're exactly right. Now I've finished the trial, that's pretty much what I plan to go back and do. I'm hoping to go back and build synchronisation from the ground up. I was just rather hoping that the Halo thingy might be a shortcut, but such is life...

paradice likes this.
  6. paradice

paradice Senior Member

Good luck....really hard to resist upping the speed but it's essential.
    Helps with the flailing fingers too...
    I mean so slow as maybe even 5 seconds from between when you start moving your finger down to fret the note and actually making contact with the string, so you can feel/see what's happening in your hand
    Its a great feeling to get control of something you think you have no control over!

Barnaby likes this.
  7. jeff_farkas

jeff_farkas Senior Member

8. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

Yep...but with a 30-day money-back guarantee (which I'm using, as it happens). If it worked, it'd be worth it to me.

9. jeff_farkas

jeff_farkas Senior Member

749? Way out of my budge, even if it works.

Eddie 70 likes this.
  10. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

Not cheap for me either - I'm glad for the 30-day trial!

11. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

OK - here's part four. Only one part to go...

12. Barnaby

Barnaby Premium Member

Righto - here's the last video. It's been an interesting process, especially putting my own poor playing under the microscope and exposing myself to ridicule both as a player and for being willing to try this product. Luckily, people have been restrained so far! The headphones have gone back to the US, having failed to impress. In fact, I can play more cleanly now than the video suggests, but I put myself under pressure when recording to get some sort of feeling for what performing would be like. It's one thing to play at home by oneself...

artis_xe likes this.