Had some fun in a music store - Line 6 Helix

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by PJH, Jun 23, 2017.

1. PJH

PJH Junior Member

I've been putting together a collection of patches for release and after creating them in the studio I wanted to hear what the Helix would sound like going direct to Front of House. I booked some time at a local music store and they let me use their PA room for a while. I was able to crank it up through a double JBL VX900 PA.

I took a video camera into the store with me and put together this little clip. The camera is capturing the audio and because I had the PA turned up really loud, the camera's mic struggled a bit. You should get the idea of what it sounds like though.

Needless to say, I had to do some re tweaking but overall I was very happy with the result.

I was using a Les Paul Standard straight in.

Cheers.

Who, CaptainT, matthew bear and 4 others like this.
  2. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

Welcome!

3. Vortex

Vortex Senior Member

Sounds good. Plan on getting a Helix LT myself very soon.

4. PJH

PJH Junior Member

Thanks guys,

Vortex, where will you be using it? Recording, live or both? Just interested.

5. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

Sounds good :thumb:

6. Vortex

Vortex Senior Member

Mostly live / home. I like home recording too but don't do it often so any time I do I basically have to re-learn the process.

7. Sournote

Sournote Senior Member

Outstanding tone.

I want to thank you for your tutorials on the POD500x. I'd most likely still be struggling with the unit (or would have sold it and moved on) without the info gleaned from those videos.

In my case I'm using the POD into a PA targeting live performances but only rehearsals so far.

Pop1655 likes this.
  8. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

^^^^ditto above!!!!!
    What you helped both of us with on the 500 was a big part of me going ahead and splurging on a Helix.
    We talked about you!

9. PJH

PJH Junior Member

Thanks so much guys,

It's nice to get feedback on those videos. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the HD500X. I loved it. I've now got a Helix and am getting lots of use out of it. I put together a collection of my patches which were created during the making of the videos on the Helix and I can tell you that visiting the store to try them out through a PA made all the difference.

I've had great feedback on them already.

If you're interested is seeing those vids, here they are. Maybe they'll be of some help as well.

Cheers

Who and Pop1655 like this.
  10. PJH

PJH Junior Member

I was just wondering, did you ever go and download my patches from my website for the HD500X. They are all still there if you didn't. Maybe you'll find something there that you'll like.

http://www.peterhanmer.co.za/hd500x.htm

11. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Very nice!! I have been using my Helix rack live for over a year now. Everybody digs the tone and I have had A LOT of tone discussions with other guitarists that can't believe my sound is coming from a "crappy Line 6", lol.

12. PJH

PJH Junior Member

Thanks, yes, I don't think that anyone can say "crappy Line 6" anymore. They've become pretty major players in the modelling world.

13. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Oh for sure!! It is REALLY funny, though, seeing dudes' reactions - often contorting faces - when they see that my rack is a Line 6. I am surprised at how open minded a lot of these people become after actually HEARING the Helix in a live context. It's often a great conversation - answering questions like:

"How do you hear yourself in practice?"

"How loud is it?"

"Is it hard to use?"

"Can it do 'X' type of sound?"

"What did you use before and WHY did you change?"

"Is this what you use ALL THE TIME?!?!"

"How much did that cost?"

I have set up opportunities for guys to come to our rehearsal studio to give the Helix a try. While there have only been a handful of converts, there hasn't ben a guy that STAYS a naysayer once they get to use it with THEIR guitar, through a "rig" that parallels their own.

I AM starting to see more bands that we're playing with using "new" modelers - some Helix, A LOT of Kempers....there is even one guy that is using a Fender Mustang 100 watt combo plugged straight into FOH and his sound is AMAZING!!! In fact, after hearing his sound THAT'S when I bought the Helix and went 100% modeling.

Here's a little video I made after I joined the band I am in. People were coming out to see us and were curious about my guitars and my set-up. The guy I replaced was a Strat/Marshall stack guy, in the vein of Blackmoore. I came in and had a TOTALLY different approach....

Who, CaptainT, Pop1655 and 1 other person like this.
  14. PJH

PJH Junior Member

That's a sweet PRS you've got there!

I hear you with your comment about "hoping they put the mic in the correct place on the speaker cab"

Nice vid.

Cheers.

mmd likes this.
  15. Sournote

Sournote Senior Member

I have grabbed a few and your Highway 100 w/delay became the basis of the patch I use for Comfortably Numb with some added modulation and a dirt pedal.

When I took the first step into modeling another forum members sent me a boatload of patches which I think also included some of yours. Today, I'm mainly using a Tweed patch and a JTM 45 patch I built using info from your tutorials.

As our set list expands I continue to test others patches and incorporate the ones that work. I need to rearrange the set list for easier access to some of them at some point but I'm not there yet.

By way of background I'm a 50 something, have only been serious about playing guitar about 5 years, am in my first "band" and would never have thought I'd come this far. Its because of guys like you and the many great guys doing online lessons, that I have learned as much as I have and have remained motivated to keep getting better.

16. PJH

PJH Junior Member

Well that's very good of you to say. I'm really glad my videos have helped out.

Please give me a shout if there's anything I can help you with. I don't have an HD500X anymore but I pretty much know it backwards.

Cheers.

17. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

Your JazzRivet and JC clean have me written all over em. Very nice.

18. PJH

PJH Junior Member

Thanks Pop,

My Patch collection has had a pretty good response.

Cheers.

19. KenG

KenG Senior Member

Good to see you here Peter!

Pop1655 likes this.
  20. PJH

PJH Junior Member

Thanks, Ken.

Cheers.