Had a Chat with Edwin Wilson at NAMM Today

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by dwk302, Jan 29, 2018.

1. ajory72

ajory72 Senior Member

A video worth watching showing headstock designs at Heritage

bulletproof, mdubya, Sct13 and 3 others like this.
  2. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Senior Member

Sure hope it doesn't die before we hear from Rudi's son..

Sweet, sweet 575 there!

Very interesting designs in the video.

bulletproof, mdubya and PierM like this.
  3. ADP

ADP Senior Member

I just want to go on the record and say Pete Farmer is one of the coolest guys in the business. And he's in it for all the right reasons! He loves guitar as much as anyone I've ever met. He made me feel like my crazy addiction to tone was normal! If you want the best guitar money can buy, he's the guy to build it for you. Absolutely incredible detail and every guitar he's shown me has absolutely blown me away. Heritage put's Gibson to shame dollar for dollar there's absolutely no comparison.

4. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

He replied & said the same thing as I did but he didn’t elaborate with details & suggestions.

I’ve asked him to extract his digit but I won’t get any details till the weekend.

I will follow up with him & i’ll post his comments eaxactly as he’s written them.

Just so we’re clear here I’m not looking at him supporting my own personal view. I’m just interested in his professional opinion on a particular design. I’ve done this with him many times.

Cheers, Rudi.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  5. PierM

PierM Certified Naysayer Premium Member

Wow, if your son says it's bad design, I'm not going to buy an Heritage ever!

LOL guys, you seriously overestimate your opinions!! :rofl::rofl:

bulletproof and rockinlespaul like this.
  6. Louie

Louie Senior Member

Speaking of the relaunched Harmony brand, former Marshall Amplification product designer Santiago Alvarez had a hand in the new Harmony amps line. He’s the man behind the JVM410, AFD100, SL5, YJM100, Vintage Modern, 2203KK, and even the new Origin series.

7. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

You’re totally missing the point here. There are design principles you follow because, for example, they follow designs in Nature. Everything flows for a reason.

When a Design is done correctly everything looks right & it catches your eye. It just fits. It looks great.

Now if you don’t have an eye for design & you can’t “see”, I have a Car you might be interested in. :D

This one has your name on it Pier........

[​IMG]

On a serious note, don’t ever underestimate design principles. They surround you in your everyday life.

The many things you use on a daily basis were “designed” by someone with an eye for detail........they marry form and function.

Great designs leave a lasting impression & cut a swath through the mediocre.

:cheers2:

PermissionToLand and bulletproof like this.
  8. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

I just thought I’d post this, just to show those interested what a designer can do.

My Son designed this & actually made it as his final year project in High School, what we call Year 12 here in Australia.

[​IMG]

It is a Bookcase. It can be rotated to suit your mood. My Son & I both prefer this orientation. My Wife, his Mother, prefers the Horizontal...........so to speak. :laugh2:

This hasn’t been done before, it is totally original & shows innovation along with good design.

On the night that he showed his work (along with his other mates) in his end of year Design Show a well heeled parent slapped $5000 down to buy it. He said sorry but I designed & made this for my Mum.

It is used for her Cookbooks, sorry it is empty right now because we just moved house & have not finished setting everything up.............& it is a quick iPhone pic while I am being a lounge lizard.

So Pier, while I am proud of my Son’s achievements I just thought I’d float this one out so you can see you’re not exactly dealing with a monkey here.

The only monkey here is me because for the life of me I can't get this sucker round the right way. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Cheers, Rudi.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  9. PierM

PierM Certified Naysayer Premium Member

Welcome in my Ignore list buddy. You'll be in good company. ;)

10. Stinky Kitty

If it's in your MLP albums, go to the album, click on the image to enter the image view, then click on "media tools." Select the appropriate rotate function.
    HTH

bulletproof and RAG7890 like this.
  11. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

.....................great comeback Pier, you're on fire. :thumbs: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

12. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Thanks SK, I uploaded ex my iPhone & then my Laptop. I'll try to fix it because it looks silly.

OK, she works now that I uploaded to my Media & used the flip tool. Thanks again. :thumb: :)

bulletproof and mdubya like this.
  13. Stinky Kitty

Very welcome..

:cheers:

bulletproof and mdubya like this.
  14. RayTorvalds

RayTorvalds Senior Member

:lol:

Actually, my first electric guitar was a BC Rich Warlock with a widow headstock ( rabbit choker :rofl:)

15. alnico59

alnico59 Senior Member

About 50 minutes south of me in Jupiter Florida is Wolfe Guitar's. They are a major Heritage and G&L dealer. They always have a huge stock on hand, especially Heritage guitars, if anyone happens to be in the area. If you google their photos you'll see what I'm talking about. The owner Jay is a nice man to deal with.

16. Sct13

Sct13 Gold Supporter Premium Member

the camera guy completely missed that 57 Strat in the second row, closest to the wall. Its an all original 57 Strat that was bought as a test bed and used for various measurements. It has been sitting on that rack for years. The tour guide let me pick it up and look it over.....(My wife and I were 20 minutes early and no other tourists were there).

That rack are design failures and stuff that was put on the back burner.....they are nearly all one of a kind instruments in various stages of build and finish.

Thanx for posting that.

bulletproof and Crotch like this.
  17. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

That video gave me some more ideas; A Wilshire Batwing line, in-line with SG model pricing could be a hit, too. I'd buy one. Standard, Special, Junior.

That guitar is beautiful.

If they could give us standard models at Standard model prices - not custom shop prices - ....

[​IMG]

Stinky Kitty and bulletproof like this.
  18. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

A Heritage is the only way I will get into a high-end jazz box.

19. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Also, so we can hear one instead of fixate on the headstock:

Stinky Kitty, bulletproof and mdubya like this.
  20. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Premium Member

"Most guitar players are flippers". Maybe it's just that most guitar players like to sample as many guitars as possible, with as limited of outlay as possible, to find those "keepers". Nothing wrong with that. There aren't many people who have owned/sold more Gibson Historic guitars than I have. Label me a "flipper" based on that if you'd like, but, I know when I find a great guitar. There are 2.....bordering on 3 now, that I will NEVER sell.

I really enjoy playing all of those guitars. I have gigged 100's of guitars between the one's I've owned and others that have been lent to me to play. I will never deny that some of my buys are made for the sole purpose of making a few bucks......that's how I've funded all of my gear. For the most part though, the majority of them have been purchased with a genuine interest in playing/gigging them, and the "maybe it's a keeper" thing in mind. Most I have "flipped"......maybe I'll make 1, 2, or $300 on. Just passing great deals on to fellow members or Ebay buyers. So there is no greed involved. Hell, my 2003 Gold Top keeper.....I could make a decent amount on that if I flipped it, but I love it, so it stays.

Just trying to give you some ideas and insight to ease your nausea.