Had a Chat with Edwin Wilson at NAMM Today

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by dwk302, Jan 29, 2018.

1. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

The main problem I have with the Heritage headstock is, that it doesn't jive with the "LP" design. Like Strat-style (not "shredders") guitars, with pointy headstocks.

Visually, IMHO, all design elements should "flow" together, but they missed the mark on that one.

I'm also for them dropping the, "The" from the logo, and just simply using "Heritage".

bulletproof, DanD and Sct13 like this.
  2. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Senior Member

3. Crotch

Crotch Support MLP Veterans & Vendors Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

Nothing to do with it for me. Their guitars are beautiful. Headstock is not aesthetically pleasing to me.

I prefer Fender Strats To and Gibson products by about 100 times so no cork.

4. Stinky Kitty

It's just really tiresome that there are hardly any threads about Heritage without the headstock haters. We get it. Move along, nothing here to see- that won't burn your* precious little eyes..

Glad to hear that Edwin is on it!!

*Used in the third person collective. Apply as appropriate.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  5. Crotch

Crotch Support MLP Veterans & Vendors Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

Well I would think that a Gibson Forum and a Historic Les Paul subforum where everyone is insane about "accuracy" might not be the best place to discuss Heritage. Could have a lot to do with it.

6. Stinky Kitty

Point well made.

bulletproof and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  7. jlb32

jlb32 Senior Member

I've owned a few Heritages. They were nice guitars but I could never gel with them so I ended up selling them.

Not sure what the fantasy is with some that dislike Gibson, etc.... wanting Heritage to buy them thinking they can make superior guitars.

I just don't see it from my experience. They make good guitar but IMO nothing special and I see so many post constantly saying the Heritage workers are the ones that made the Original Gibson Les Paul Bursts. That may have been true 30 years ago but now, really? How old are these guys working at Heritage? It's been more or almost 60 years since the Originals. Is Heritage a bunch of 85-95 year old guys making guitars? :)

8. jlb32

jlb32 Senior Member

I personally do not think it is just the headstock, even though they could alter it to make it better. IMO it's just that Heritage guitars IMO are good but not great. I have nothing against them and would buy one in a second if it spoke to me. Personally though I have yet to find that one and I have played many and even owned a few.

9. Stinky Kitty

Well said, thank you.
    Guess I got lucky with my first one.
    :cheers2:

bulletproof and jlb32 like this.
  10. jlb32

jlb32 Senior Member

That is awesome! IMO play what speaks to you and you love.

11. Sct13

Sct13 Gold Supporter Premium Member

Trust me when I say they are WELL made too...

I was floored when the guy carving out a hollow body top let me scrape a bit....(not much) these are truly hand crafted....

And if your ever near Kalamazoo go do the tour....very nice people, Although I heard they have remodeled the entire factory floor. When I was there it was still in its war time dress .... 1940's

12. jlb32

jlb32 Senior Member

+1 and IMO that is killer and what I love about guitar making. Gibson does a ton of hands on also most do not know about. Most think they are CNC body cookie cutter guitars but most of the guitar building outside of the body cutting/carving is still done by hand.

I personally do not see how many of them do what they do with the consistency they do.

I know Gibson gets bashed for flaws but with that much hands on/tedious work I am surprised how well they do it the majority of the time.

13. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I'd own a 535 or 3 in a heartbeat. I like their ES 125/225 type guitars, too.

If they made historic '58 V's and Explorers as standard models (where Gibson only produces limited run Historic models) and maybe something in the ByrdLand/ES 350 vein for a more standard model price...:hmm:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  14. Sixstring63

Sixstring63 Senior Member

My 2016 Heritage H535 I purchased blew away every custom shop Gibson I tried in the ES 335 line. The Heritage was all figured top and back with Duncans PU's, Tone Pros hardware and Grovers with not a flaw in it for half the price of any comparable Gibson CS. They make a great guitar at a great price. I love my Gibson's but I'm not a headstock snob.

15. Left Paw

Left Paw Senior Member

This is truly and simply stated. People have been waiting for Heritage guitars to take off almost as long as they have been waiting for G & L guitars to take off. Still waiting.

16. Sct13

Sct13 Gold Supporter Premium Member

I think the used market has everything to do with it....Excellent guitars can't get a toe-hold in the big markets because buying one is a re-sale leap of faith....

and I'm sure there are many more reasons.

I mean there are literally 3 brands made in the US (still) that ring that bell, Gibson, Fender, and Martin....Who else? Guild and maybe Gretch ....Even PRS hasn't made that "iconic" American rock guitar status. Instantly recognizable are those "Big Three"

Collings is/was one to watch, as is Taylor (Canada)

The rest are sideliners (in a market) that is based on re-sale value....Some will keep their value...true but many have gone over seas.

and 95% of them will sound fairly descent, the buyers are even more conscious of quality issues for even a $300 Asian model of whatever....(soon to be one giant factory anyway)

While the concept and idea of why Heritage exists speaks to entrepreneurship at its finest IMO ....did you ever notice their lack of advertising? And lack of shelf space /Wall Space at retail outlets....who the hell carries them? Can't get one at guitar center or Walmart .....

What matters is what it sounds like and how does it inspire me to play it.....I have to be inspired by an emotion, or a person that causes an emotion, an emotional attachment to an instrument or the sound it makes and ITS attachment to the person who recorded or played that for you. Not many of my guitar hero's play'd a Heritage. My attachment to them is via Gibson and the factory that was once occupied by Gibson.

Roy Clark is a sponsor, I'm a big fan....BUT when I watch him on Hee Haw he was playing a Gibson....

I don't know IF the long headstock has anything what ever to do with it, but I'm sure its not too big of a deal. Several on this thread have said that it interrupts the overall design of the guitar (me being one) These people might be inspired differently ...its the beauty and flowing lines that attract.

The Les Paul is the Epitome of femininity ....but there are two male components to the design, the neck and the Mustache headstock ....its yin and yang

some headstocks simply don't fit the design of the body...

bulletproof likes this.
  17. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

...............most Guitar players are flippers, so flippers want to buy what is easy to flip & reduces the chance of taking a major haircut. So Fender & Gibson generally win in that department, regardless of how good or how bad any particular Guitar actually is.

I've seen it so many times, it's become somewhat nauseating.

Even when I think of myself, it took years for me to not want Fender on the HS.

bulletproof likes this.
  18. Stinky Kitty

The Flipper.

Therein lies the difference of mindset. I buy them to play.

bulletproof and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  19. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Exactly, all of mine are keepers for playing.

bulletproof and Stinky Kitty like this.
  20. ajory72

ajory72 Senior Member

Me thinks this thread is dying - so in the interest of what sounds like a quality brand here is one more pic for the avid reader :)

[​IMG]

bolero, pinefd, bulletproof and 6 others like this.