Had a Chat with Edwin Wilson at NAMM Today

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by dwk302, Jan 29, 2018.

1. dwk302

dwk302 Senior Member

He couldn’t have been a nicer guy. Good to see that he’s doing well. He’s working on some really cool stuff reviving the Harmony brand and injecting life into Heritage....btw, Heritage had an aged Goldtop 57, an aged blue 535 (their version of the 335) and an aged special on display that were about as good as I’ve ever played. Edwin also hinted at some redesigns to the Heritage line. I tried to buy the Goldtop and 535 on the spot but they weren’t selling floor models. I don’t know what they’ve done, but there is a noticeable jump in feel and quality.

Harmony had a few prototype amps and guitars on display and they were also fantastic. Their amps just sounded killer. The guitars had a thin body with a nice fat neck.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    MrWrong, mrfett, Bluesky and 17 others like this.
  2. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

Heritage should make a deal with him and get his knowledge and his PR! I can just hear Henry's fingernails on the chalkboard! :laugh2::rofl:

3. dwk302

dwk302 Senior Member

He IS working with Heritage and Harmony. I think they’re owned by the same group.

4. MikeC

MikeC Senior Member

the headstock... please change it

5. DanD

DanD Senior Member

I'm sure he's working on it.

I remember a few of us saying in jest at the time of his departure from Gibson that he'd do well to go to Heritage and 'fix' it.

Good on Edwin. I hope he has enough input to bring Heritage up to snuff. :fingersx:

... and as I stated back then, I doubt Heritage will roll out one improvement at a time like Gibson did. :facepalm:

scott1970, bulletproof and hoss like this.
  6. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Oxblood Addict V.I.P. Member

That's great news, thanks for the info!

bulletproof likes this.
  7. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

They should also get rid of that awful HS Shape. Every time I see that HS I cringe.

They need to reinvent themselves & stick it up HJ IMHO.

Go Edwin, revenge is sweet. He’s a nice a guy from what I can tell from several emails with him.

:cheers2:

8. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Senior Member

Heritage made it possible for me to own as close to the guitar of my dreams as I'll ever get without having to hock an organ or sister. This thread needs a pic..

[​IMG]

Although an aesthetic malfeasance to most, the non splayed strings at the head give this Beauty a feel of its own..

tolm, Nickzephead92, DanD and 20 others like this.
  9. Curious George

Curious George Premium Member

I met Edwin once and couldn't have been a nicer guy. In addition to guitars, based on our conversation he used to be a prolific collector of Vox amps... so guessing he knows his stuff on the amp side as well.

10. Mosster47

Mosster47 Senior Member

Gorgeous guitar man. I've owned one H150 with an incredible flame and they are a different beast. The few PRS guitars I mistakenly bought were by far the nicest guitars I have ever owned, nothing compares. The Heritage is by far the sturdiest guitar I've ever owned. It felt like you could spend the night using it as a weapon to kill zombies and the next morning the G string might be a little flat but it would still be perfectly fine.

Sadly the neck was just too fat for my liking. I'd own another one though.

11. PierM

PierM Premium Member

There is nothing wrong with the Heritage headstock, and works also better with tuning, than the Gibson one.

12. Callaway

Callaway Senior Member

Have two Heritage models a 535 and a 150 love both, nothing wrong with the headstock reminds me of the old Gibby design. This is great news most of the buy in guys who kept Heritage afloat early are now retired and they needed a shot in the arm Edwin can do that quite nicely if given the reins. A few short years ago you could actually talk to the guy who had done nearly all of Gibby's painting in the golden years on bursts and the big boxes.

13. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

The need a better website. No guitars to view or even model listings.

bulletproof likes this.
  14. DanD

DanD Senior Member

Agreed. ^

The guitar line was up there a few weeks back with all the models and colors that Heritage had been making for years.

Pete says in the video the line has been streamlined. I'd wager they are (finally) taking new shots of the models/colors they'll be producing.

The NAMM video does mention Custom designs and they have a few at NAMM but I didn't catch whether or not the customer will still be able to order by spec or not. :hmm:

15. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Oxblood Addict V.I.P. Member

I can think of a lot worse headstock designs out there. Nothing wrong with the Heritage headstock imho.

I see something special in my future from this company.

Go Edwin, go!!!

16. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Silver Supporter Premium Member

For function, I agree. Looks....it's ugly.

17. PierM

PierM Premium Member

Same here, very happy to see Edwin working for Heritage. They are such a great team of guys there, I had the chance to communicate with the team, for a refinish of a 'STAT 88, and their support is absolutely a pleasure. They are passionate and they really care of their customers. Always loved the company, just been a bit of a pain to find my own over here in Europe. Distribution always been sloppy.

Now, with these news, I'm GASSING again for one of those H-157...

bulletproof and rockinlespaul like this.
  18. Mosster47

Mosster47 Senior Member

My #1 acoustic for the last 15 years has been a Takamine so the Heritage headstock didn't phase me at all because they are basically the same thing.

If you are a wide, open book headstock fan they are the exact opposite so I can see the disdain for them. Across the forums it seems like about 30% think they are fine, 70% hate them, and 0% like them.

They could probably benefit test grouping a few new designs and come up with something more appealing. For every thread where one person says they love their Heritage three people chime in about the headstock. The potential is there though.

bulletproof and freebyrd 69 like this.
  19. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

The HS is way too long, the reverse open book must have been an afterthought & it all looks butt ugly.

Look at the real estate north of the top two tuners. Room enough for a party.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm not talking function here, I'm talking design aesthetics & as far as design is concerned it is a 1 out of 10.

The rest of the design is fine & FWIW I don't mind their Guitars.

I & many I know won't buy them because of that HS.

Run a Poll & see how the HS Shape fairs.

:cheers2:

DADGAD, jenton70, bulletproof and 4 others like this.
  20. PierM

PierM Premium Member

Looks totally fine to me.

[​IMG]

I understand that people is used to the Gibson shovel....

Rock City, bulletproof and THDNUT like this.