GUYS I HAVE THE BIGGEST NEWS OF MY LIFE!

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by treatb, Sep 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. treatb

treatb Senior Member

I played a 1959 black beauty, fretless wonder today. IT EVEN HAD A BIGSBY. i have to say, i've never heard a bigsby that sweet in my entire life. the tone was spectacular. it just sang to me, and just gave me all that i could want. i will share pictures soon. i have a 45 minute recording of me playing it, but no video. it was everything i imagined and more. i only wished i had more music to play, so i just explored.

all original supposedly, but the middle pickup ring was shorter than the neck, and the pickup covers i thought seemed a little less sharp on the edges than i am educated to look for. the tulips looked too good to be original, and the rings looked very clean, suspiciously so.. i am concerned someone switched out the pups because the center of the toggle had a weird out of phase sound, and was very thin. it was supposed to be a one owner closet case all original beauty. i didn't open her up to look at the guts, but i wanted to! this was at wildwood guitars, a world wide, famous music store, i doubt they would gut that guitar, but obviously someone either switched those rings or i'm forgetting my history. can any of you clarify?

tzd likes this.
  2. treatb

treatb Senior Member

it also had a very rare black case. i can't remember the names, the ones with the yellow lining.

3. treatb

treatb Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    Droog, Coldacre, Donal and 12 others like this.
  4. treatb

treatb Senior Member

it was something i never thought i would ever get the chance to do. THEY LET ME PLAY IT FOR OVER AN HOUR! i must be dying… i was shaking, sweating, all sorts of shook up. even hours after i'm still under the drugs this beauty filled me with. i can now speak from experience, the fretless wonder lives up to its reputation!

5. treatb

treatb Senior Member

just looking at the photos now i still get a heavy breath...

Who likes this.
  6. kiko

kiko Senior Member

Good looking guitar!

7. zhivago

zhivago Senior Member

Very cool guitar indeed...and by the way, all Customs had the "Faultless" black case with the yellow lining originally...my '56 has one too :)

treatb and Kris Ford like this.
  8. Sharky

Sharky Senior Member

weren't they called marigold lining cases?

Beautiful guitar, I'd love to have the 2 PUP version with nickel hardware, but this will never happen

9. Phil W

Phil W Senior Member

I hope bigger news come your way as your life progresses. Nonetheless, a nice guitar.

T00DEEPBLUE and Who like this.
  10. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE Senior Member

That's the biggest news of your life? That's kinda sad.

Hopefully things will get more exciting for you soon.

11. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Middle pickup is out of phase on purpose on these. The rings were hand sanded, so can measure at different lengths. Tuners could be repros, but would have to pop one off to know for sure.

No, Marigold came later in the 60's..moreso for a '68-70.

treatb and RAG7890 like this.
  12. treatb

treatb Senior Member

they are so rare. thats the top of line les paul. i made the joke, does jimmy page know you have found his missing guitar? some of my favorite videos of lester and mary are of him playing this exact model. i just wanted to try to move around like i remembered him in those videos. it was like, faster faster faster…lol, hit every note! i always loved that look, and everything about the true black beauty fretless wonder. i know they are all black beauties from those years, but i call this one the true black beauty, fretless wonder. i just couldn't feel happier, but more depressed and empty. thats the dream right there, epitome for me. i like the bursts too, but i don't really need to or desire owning a burst. there is a reason she is called the black beauty...

we had a friend in arkansas that used to play with chet atkins, and he got very sick and had to sell all his gear. we were lucky to get two gretsches with the painted on f holes, and original filtertrons along with a prototype bass. he pulled out this exact model of guitar, and same year. i was so young, and didn't play yet. a music store ripped him off, and everyone that bought his black beauty died, and they put it in a glass case somewhere, nicknamed the death guitar. he also had a burst but i never got to see it.

13. treatb

treatb Senior Member

i always thought they were wired with 3 volumes and a master tone. and each selector was a different pickup. i didn't know the middle was out of phase. i just assumed it'd be like the other, and meant to fix that two pickup pull on the strings for sustain. though i realize they all pull on the strings XD. my dad had me wire his les paul like that, now i feel like an idiot…but hey i love forgetting so i can relearn all this stuff again. it was just such a privilege…it was more than i could handle. not the guitar, the guitar played like butter.

14. treatb

treatb Senior Member

owning a guitar like that is too much of a burden. its just so expensive and rare that you'd be a target for all the predators and hunters out there. i'm already scared to shit every time i play my 1955 j45 out, and i don't let it leave my grip…i can't even leave it in a car anymore i have to bring it inside any store i enter…its just not worth ever losing my guitar. some men find women that bond with their heart, but i bonded with my guitars, and my j45 is the other half to my soul.

KS 5150 likes this.
  15. treatb

treatb Senior Member

if i could ever relive a day, over and over, it'd be yesterday...

Nippon likes this.
  16. KS 5150

KS 5150 Senior Member

Maybe let him enjoy his moment without the douchey commentary.....mmmkay?

17. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE Senior Member

If you say so.

I guess some people define their greatest moment in their entire life differently. More power to them I suppose. I just wouldn't consider that to be mine, in my opinion. Freedom of speech and all that.

18. treatb

treatb Senior Member

if seeing a 1959 gibson les paul that is all original, unmolested is not a life achievement, and let alone getting to play one for over an hour isn't great, then gtfo. this is the les paul forum. you are here for the wrong reasons…you are just a yuppy and you are no more a fan of lester william himself than you could even consider pronouncing his last name without googling it...

19. Xrun Morzov

Xrun Morzov Senior Member

They must be charging at least market price for it or is it on sale? )

20. HardCore Troubadour

HardCore Troubadour Senior Member

freedom of speech can be acompanied by common courtesy.....it would go a long ways.

biggest moment of his guitar life.....being it's a guitar forum and all that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.