GUITARS-The Museum, a work in progress

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by GooCart, Apr 3, 2013.

1. upl8tr

upl8tr Senior Member

This is definitely spoken from experience! :laugh2:

Don't even bother trying to deny it! :cool:

1 person likes this.
  2. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

Thanks Frank! Tom told me that you guys had talked about this and it would have been fantastic to see you here also. But it's no rush, this place is here to stay, I really look forward to see you sometime in the future.

upl8tr, you got me there:lol:

1 person likes this.
  3. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

:wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :thumb: :applause:

Excellent work Magnus. You guys have collectively done an awesome job with this Museum. Sharing all of these great Vintage Guitars with the Public is a great thing to do....................& your design work on the actual displays is breathtaking. :thumb:

I will definitely pay a visit. :)

Wish I was there. :wave:

Cheers, Rudi

2 people like this.
  4. SirTompelito

SirTompelito Member

Thoose stands looks amazing! :D

1 person likes this.
  5. Geogeo68

Geogeo68 Member

I'm a newbie on this forum and I've just discovered this project:shock:

It's a wonderful project :applause:

Sweden is an amazing country!! I was there two years ago
    now I know I will return there soon:D

Again congrats

1 person likes this.
  6. Skerries1

Skerries1 Senior Member

This looks incredible! Congratulations. All of your hard work and dedication has really paid off.
    I guess I'll be seeing you soon.

1 person likes this.
  7. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

Earlier I wrote that pictures don't do the place full justice, but how about a video:naughty:
    This is filmed by Mick and Joby from Guitarist Magazine, two really nice guys that are just as crazy about guitars as we in the project team.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueHRzyW4G3k&feature=c4-overview&list=UUcniHc5ivrNMY2HUocYmzAg]Guitars]Guitars The Museum, Umeå: take a look inside with Guitarist - YouTube[/ame] The Museum, Umeå: take a look inside with Guitarist - YouTube

8 people like this.
  8. alk-3

alk-3 MLP Sponsor

So cool!

4 people like this.
  9. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex Senior Member

Again.....this may be the coolest thing I've ever seen. I told my mom in 1969 that one day guitars would be treated like art and she would be sorry she bought me a Silvertone instead of a Les Paul!!

Great work Magnus.......and "the brothers"!

3 people like this.
  10. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Funny, in the 1970's or 1980's my Father said............"Rock Music will die & no one will listen to it."

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Not a week goes by when I do not remind him of this comment. :D

:cheers:

2 people like this.
  11. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

Here's what my father said when I found a '62 olympic white Stratocaster for $200 back in '74, "It's just a used guitar, they'll always be around". I was 12 years old and instantly understood that it was something really cool about the guitar, my father didn't....
    I know where the guitar is today and I constantly get reminded of the feeling I had back then. But knowing me I guess I'd have destroyed the guitar in the late 70's when EVH was popular....

4 people like this.
  12. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Very cool, :lol:...............thanks Magnus, you have reminded me of something I have completely forgotten about. :) BTW, Olympic White was a fairly rare color back then. :D

Somewhere around 1974 - 1975, when I was 14 - 15 there was an ad in the local Trading Post in Sydney............an elderly gentleman in his 60's had placed the ad..................& I was a Fender Nut!

It was for an old Fender Stratocaster in Miranda, a suburb in the South of Sydney, not far from where I grew up. My Father & I went to look at it.

It was a Sunburst, in an old Fender Case...............~ '61 - '64, I can't quite remember if it was a Slab or Curved BRW board................but my guess was '64 L - Series. It was in great condition & I wanted to buy it. I had no idea about Vintage Guitars but it had a vibe & smelled like another world.

My Father basically said the same thing, why do you want to buy that, it is a second hand Guitar. :shock: :shock:

I should have jumped up & down but I didn't...................I just didn't know at the time. :)

Such is life. Did I learn anything..................nope. :shock:

In the late '70's I bought a '66 - '67 Fender Tele Custom from my God Mother's Son...............& traded that in on a Kramer Aluminum (Aluminium here) Neck job in around 1983.............straight trade for $450. :shock:

My last interesting story was in 1976, I was living in Yugoslavia for ~ 6 months, after living in Germany for 6 months, prior to going back to Australia. I had an Ibanez Les Paul Custom (3 PU's) with me at the time & a Fender Twin Reverb.

At the time Guitars were hard to come by in Yugoslavia, so a young man who lived in my Grandmother's town who in his early 20's, sold his Fiat 500 & slapped the money on the table............& bought that Guitar.

Life is full of interesting stories & I am sure the Guitars in the Museum you guys have put together have many interesting stories to tell, similar to ours. :)

Cheers, Rudi

2 people like this.
  13. alk-3

alk-3 MLP Sponsor

Or you would have traded it to the twins for a cool moped ;)
    Is that old '62 still in Sweden? Is it in the museum?

14. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

Haha, yeah, you know how stuff works around here Tom.
    The Strat is in Sweden but not with the brothers.

15. alk-3

alk-3 MLP Sponsor

My wife, my young son and myself just returned from a last minute trip to visit the museum for its grand opening. I am so very proud to have been asked to display a guitar there for its grand opening.

I have been wanting to visit my friend Magnus and see beautiful Sweden for quite a while, so I figured what better time than now?

I can say that it really is mind blowing to see so many rare instruments in one place. Each guitar has a story about it that makes it unique among others of its kind, Getting to talk with Michael and Sam about them was a treat I will never forget.

What tops it all off is the extreme attention to detail in all regards. The display cases are perfectly executed and highlight the guitars so well. There is even a display showing how both a fender and a Les Paul are made, including the raw lumber and parts all the way up to the finished product.
    There is also an old garage where you could actually plug into working vintage amps and have a jam session right there. Tools hanging on the walls and even a small block 350 on an engine stand in the corner, just the way we all probably started in our first bands in our parents garage..except awesome!
    Oh, and there is a real pawn shop in the museum where you can buy and sell instruments.
    Downstairs there is a bar and restaurant, and even a venue for live shows.
    It really has to be seen to be believed. I've never dreamed of something this cool for guitar nuts.

The town of Umeå itself is a great town to visit as well, so there is more than just the museum to see here. It's right on the water and really is pretty. We spent a few days in Umeå then took a very short flight down to Stockholm and spent several days enjoying that wonderful city.

Here are a few shots we snapped along the way.

Here we are in Brussels. It was surprisingly easy to talk my wife into travelling 6500 kilometres across an ocean to see a building full of old guitars.. just tell her you're taking her on a European vacation :) worked like a charm!

[​IMG]

When we first arrived. Magnus didn't know we were even coming so it was a real treat to surprise him out of the blue :) I've known him for years, but we've never actually met in person.

[​IMG]

Downstairs in the hallway that leads you to the various areas of the building. The bar is on the right:

[​IMG]

The "Stairway to Heaven" as Sam so eloquently called it!

[​IMG]

The museum lobby. It was packed on opening night, which I believe was invite only.. LOTS of people filled the place from top to bottom.

[​IMG]

The first room. This is where the real fun begins!

[​IMG]

The BBC doing their thing:

[​IMG]

10 people like this.
  16. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

That was one of my best weekends ever and it's really fun to see your photos Tom. And to all of you who haven't been here in Umeå or even in Sweden; I promise you won't be disappointed, The museum is a fun place to be. Lots of cool guitars, nice people, great food and the live venue is also amazing.
    Umeå as a city is nice and friendly. Small enough so you easily can walk through the down town area but still beg enough for some interesting shopping or whatever you might want to do. If you come in the summer you'll see some really cool classic US cars like hot rods, led sleads and such. The museum parking lot will be a new natural site for car and maybe some outdoor music events during summer time.

4 people like this.
  17. Kølabrennern

Kølabrennern Senior Member

I've been living right across the bay in Vasa, Finland for the past year and still spend a fair amount of time there. Will definitely ride the ferry over to Umeå and visit the museum this summer! It's actually very surreal that such an exquisite collection of instruments resides in Sweden; it's the sort of thing you'd only think you could see in the US. I'm pretty thrilled!

3 people like this.
  18. Bluntforcetrauma

Bluntforcetrauma Senior Member

Call me crazy but probably one of the worst layouts for a museum. The Louve (sp?) even has a better display to their art. Physical vision has to work so hard to get a good 3 dimensional look. The guitars should have been put up like art- say The Mona Lisa , it should be there to be able so the visitor can really get a sense of the artistry and the magic that these guitars posses. Guitars behind so much glass and at unviewable heights does not seem to cultivate any appreciation for the mastery artisan that it took to create such historic but ever still relevant musical instruments. Beautiful instruments to bad no one gets to see them.

19. oli

oli Senior Member

I don't wanna sound rude but... seriously ?!

Have you ever been to the Louvre ?! Ever seen the Mona lisa ? This is probably the WORST place in the world to actually enjoy art !

BTW, the Mona Lisa is stuck behind super thick bulletproof glass, and you have to literally fight your way through the crowd of tourists to get a (bad) look at it...
    I HATE the Louvre (I used to live 3 hours away from Paris, and I've been there many times), it's the Disneyland of art museums...
    But yes, they have a wonderful collection. Too bad you can't enjoy it the way you should.

I haven't been (yet !) to the Guitar Museum, but IMO, all the people involved did an AWESOME job putting it together.

Just my 2 cts :cheers:

1 person likes this.
  20. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex Senior Member

I think they did a wonderful job displaying all those guitars. . . I can't even imagine the creativity that it took to figure out HOW to display that many guitars in a tasteful manner.

I give much respect to the Twins for having all those guitars, to the money folks for allowing all this to actually happen and especially to the designers who figured out how to make the place look like the greatest music store never invented and somehow placing it in 1962 California!!

Rock on boys. . . . .take your well deserved rest and marvel at the wonder you have created!!

2 people like this.