GUITARS-The Museum, a work in progress

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by GooCart, Apr 3, 2013.

1. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Very cool Magnus...........I can certainly see some nice Industrial Design elements coming out here. :thumb: :applause:

Cheers, Rudi

2. MikeZito

MikeZito Banned

Once this place opens, I can't wait to visit the gift shop. Woo-hoo!

3. The Greek

The Greek Senior Member

One of the most epic threads of all times,no doubt about it.God bless you Magnus and the brothers,God bless you!Been to Sweden couple of times and I'll definitely come to visit this R'n'R Museum when it's ready and hopefully meet you and the brothers in person. :)

Oh and btw,you can lock me in there and throw the key away,no problem at all.No problem at all... :thumb:

Merry Christmas to all the MLP members! :)

3 people like this.
  4. Gandy Dancer

Gandy Dancer Senior Member

WOW! Hope to check out the museum someday! Congrats guys! Amazing job back there!!

5. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex Senior Member

I have an old college friend from Vanersborg, Sweden - Michael Hansson (an amazing tennis player as it seems most people from Sweden must be!).

Now I have a great opportunity to come visit. I can't wait to see this place!!

6. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

OK, one more day left of 2013 and here are some photos as promised.
    As I wrote, the displays are there but not really finished but the garage and the pawn shop are more or less done.

The first photo is kind of backstage, it's Sam and Mike's workshop, a small shop where they will work on the guitars, keep them in the same condition they are now. They will also do service for the customers of the music store in the house.

[​IMG]

Here's Sam and his kick bike, the place is huge so he uses it to go from room to room. Here he is outside the garage. unloading some stuff.

[​IMG]

OK, yours only in the middle and to the right we have Maja, one of the excellent stage builders from Norrlands Operan. To the left you see some more of the garage and also the pawn shop storefront. Take a look at the wood panels of the garage, it's all brand new but aged by Maja and her colleagues. The details are amazing, I find myself just staring at it for ever. Inside the garage you see some vintage car stuff, like hub caps, oil cans and such. But also a complete rig for a band, vintage drums, amps and such.

[​IMG]

The garage interior. It's not all complete. Tomorrow the guys will squeeze in a complete Edelbrock 350 V8......
    Other than being just another display the garage will be a small stage for live music, nothing big but maybe some guys playing the blues or something like that. i think it'll be really fun.

[​IMG]

Here's the pawn shop sign, printed on a rusty steel plate, I think the idea is that we'll sell miniature souvenirs of this sign in the gift shop.

[​IMG]

And here is Maja again, doing the final touch on the storefront. This facade is a copy of a music store that was here in Umeå when we all grew up. A place that over the years has meant a lot to all musicians, both young upstarts and professionals. So that's our little tribute to the store, Hagström Music in Umeå.
    Inside those walls it will hang like 50-60 vintage guitars and just as many amps in the open so you will be able to feel the vintage smell. It's also there you might find something cool for sale, it might be stuff the brothers wants to sell or something you or me would sell through the museum. Guitars, pickups, pedals, but also other cool stuff, whatever it might be.

[​IMG]

OK, that's all for now. I speak for all of us at Guitars the Museum when I say this; a Happy New Year to you all!

7 people like this.
  7. mbowen

mbowen Premium Member

Magnus,thank you so so much for keeping us posted on this unreal project.All guitar and music lovers owe a big thank you to the Brothers and the people helping them set this up.Again thank you so much ,Mike B.

7 people like this.
  8. oli

oli Senior Member

Couldn't have said that better, Mike !

Thanks a lot, Magnus !

1 person likes this.
  9. 1981 LPC

1981 LPC Senior Member

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1vqXPwu0kQ]Guitars - The Museum: an exclusive preview of "The Finest Guitar Collection In The World" - YouTube[/ame]

5 people like this.
  10. bigsnaketex

This is so cool - reminds me of my old Shepard Fairey Obey Telecaster.

11. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

Wow, I've been away for a couple of days and I see that the thread have over 14 000 viewers, that's pretty cool:thumb:
    OK, so we have now a little more than two weeks to the grand opening.....oh man, it feel unreal that all our hard work finally will come to an end and we will be able to show all guitars for the public. We're absolutely not there yet, we have tons left to do. We haven't even started to place the guitars yet since we not have been able to lock the museum floor yet, but tomorrow I think we can start in some of the rooms.

I don't have any fancy photos, all I've got to show is these two guys, posing in front of a vintage display that's placed in the pawn shop. Sam to the right is holding our test guitar, a cardboard 'burst and Mike is holding one of the three guest exhibition guitars, a JG Bluesmaster.

[​IMG]

Anyway, I'll update this page with more detailed photos of the displays, stands and all the cool stuff as soon as possible so stay tuned

6 people like this.
  12. used guitars

used guitars Member

[​IMG]

the cardboard 'burst in real life

7 people like this.
  13. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

Wow, that's cool!! I think the cardboard guitar was a part of a series cardboard guitars called The Next Best Thing. It looks really amazing on your photo.

14. bigsnaketex

I'm afraid that my constant erection while walking through the museum would get me asked to leave. . . .

But I'm going to chance it anyway.

This is so very cool - thanks to EVERYONE who is part of this and for the sharing.

15. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

Haha! I'm sure we won't even notice it if you just wear your shirt outside your jeans. We're looking forward to see all of you at the museum and you're all welcome, erection or not:laugh2:

16. SirTompelito

SirTompelito Member

Will come and visit (from Umeå, lol)! :D

17. bigsnaketex

If I could be so bold. . . I would suggest that you guys put together some "vacation" packages with local hotels and airlines so that it is easy for folks to come and visit the museum.

It would be a good way to get another revenue stream for you and make it easier on everyone that is interested!!

4 people like this.
  18. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

OK, so the Grand Opening is done. We had a sneak preview this Friday for international media and 5-600 invited guests and today, Saturday, was the Big Day. I'm so glad and proud over the museum that I just can't find words for it right now. Seriously, I'm speechless. This was one of my best weekends. Ever.

Here are just a few photos, it's from the reception and the first two rooms. I can post more photos later but with these few photos I just want to show you guys that it's done, we're ready and the museum is open.

The reception and the V desk, it turned out really cool. In the behind you see some kind of old guitar type of thing. It's from the nineteenth century and under it is an old Bible where the guitar's owner's name is written. His name was Samuel Åhden, just like one of the brothers. Just a coincidence ...?

[​IMG]

Here's one of our guest guitars, a JG Bluesmaster.

[​IMG]

Trini Lopez and a 335.

[​IMG]

Some Fenders and a Barcelona chair.

[​IMG]

More Fenders, there are some pretty cool guitars here.

[​IMG]

Oh man...

[​IMG]

'55 GT Conversion.
    [​IMG]

G like in Gretsch

[​IMG]

Here's Mike, adjusting the stand for a Broadcaster. I designed these stands exclusively for the museum.

[​IMG]

Same thing here, but for a '58 V

[​IMG]

Here's Mike again, adjusting some lights.

[​IMG]

PAF.....

[​IMG]

Seriously, this is a pretty cool display!

[​IMG]

White Falcon.

[​IMG]

-59 335 dot marker

[​IMG]

Case closed.

[​IMG]

This is the only photo I have from the opening, all others are from the day before, but it's a photo that mean a lot to me.
    It's Sam to the left and Tom Bartlett in the middle and me to the right. Tom, one of the coolest guys ever, not to mention his amazing skills when it comes to guitar building, showed up from nowhere. I don't think I've ever been as surprised, glad and proud. So here I take the opportunity to say thanks for everything to Tom and Anne and little Tommy.

I don't want to say much about the guitar Tom is holding since it's my design other than that it's a amazingly cool piece of work and the gold color is 100% vintage correct, trust me, we have had the chance to compare it to the real deal. It's also one of the three guest guitars.

[​IMG]

Here's the final photo, I snapped it from facebook and it shows when the brothers cut the ribbon and declare the museum officially open.

[​IMG]

With this we in the project team wants to thank Alex and everybody at MLP for keeping this thread a sticky for all this time. If you want I can keep on posting cool photos from the museum, but pictures doesn't give the place full justice. It's a amazing place, we've had visitors staying there for 6 hours without a brake, just walking around. And I can truly understand them, this place is not like anything else.

Thanks from, Mike, Sam, Magnus, Fredrik, Jonas and Hasse:thumb:

12 people like this.
  19. Alvinfan

Alvinfan Senior Member

Big congrats on the museum - It looks like a place of MAGIC !! :thumb::thumb::thumb:
    Good thing it is not that far away from Copenhagen :D

1 person likes this.
  20. pinefd

pinefd V.I.P. Member Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Congrats, Magnus! That is so awesome! I sooooo wanted to be there for the opening, but just couldn't pull the trip together in time, unfortunately. My wife and I are already talking about making the trip there sometime in the next year or two.

Again, congrats, enjoy, and...relax, at last!

Frank

1 person likes this.