GUITARS-The Museum, a work in progress

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by GooCart, Apr 3, 2013.

1. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

Long time since the last update but here's what I've been doing for a couple of weeks, I've been designing the showcases for the guitars and amplifiers. We have been trying to find a way to use modules in a standard dimension that will work for everything. Well, some basses are to long to fit in these but we have a couple of others showcases also. These will be built in birch or pine, and will be brush painted with old-fashioned linseed oil paint or something similar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The general design of all stands and details are adapted to the building's original style, I think I'd call it a variation on the classic Swedish National Romantic style.
    We'll be doing something like 18-20 of these. Pretty massive order for the cabinet maker:shock:

8 people like this.
  2. oli

oli Senior Member

Wow, that's a GREAT idea, Magnus !

1 person likes this.
  3. mbowen

mbowen Premium Member

Looks amazing ,Mike B.

1 person likes this.
  4. Shadowplayer

Shadowplayer Senior Member

I don care how much it costs, I am taking a trip to Sweden. Blondes and guitars. What could be better

3 people like this.
  5. flameburst

flameburst Senior Member

Thanks for this ever-developing thread! :applause:

6. LPCollector

LPCollector V.I.P. Member

7. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

Thanks guys, glad you like the thread. It's a really awesome project to be involved in.

8. bruce bennett

bruce bennett Banned

interesting.. there is a new guitar museum that's going up here in Chattanooga Tn.. wonder if there is a connection?
    ever heard of a guy name Thorpe McKenzie?

9. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

Hey Bruce, that's cool, yet another reason for me to visit Tennessee again. Fantastic place to visit, can't wait to go back. But there's no connection that I'm aware of, not yet at least:)

10. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

Sorry, I had to edit out the renderings I had posted here, they showed a product that we have decided to take to production. But I'll get back to the subject when I can show the finished product:thumb:

3 people like this.
  11. poro78

poro78 Noble savage Premium Member

Hmm... Seems like I've soon got a good reason to pack my herd and make a road trip I have been thinking a long time: Turku-Oulu-Umeå-Stockholm-Turku. :thumbs:

12. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

Hi guys, here's a pretty cool photo.
    A couple of friends of me are in to hot rods and I talked to them about maybe doing some commercial for the museum on a big classic car meet we have here in Umeå in a couple of weeks. Said and done, I did a couple of decals and we also printed some pretty cool t-shirts for the event. But here's what happened;
    A Swedish car magazine was in town last week to cover some of the cool US cars that run here and they saw the two hot rods and stopped them and asked what it was all about. It all ended up with a pretty big photo setup outside the house for the museum and some rigging with a couple of custom guitars owned by the brothers and the two hot rods.

The two cars on the photo are original steel body '32, one super charged three window coupe and one chopped tudor, it was really cool that they both was matte black, it looks great with the logo, which I here show for the first time in more official contexts:thumb:

The two guitars are:
    1955 Gibson Les Paul Junior
    sunburst finish
    The first Les Paul Junior guitar with Parsons White B Bender.
    Installed by Gene Parsons in 1993. The brothers contacted Gene Parsons after they had seen Jimmy Page with a Les Paul Standard with B Bender.
    The guitar also has 3x Bill Keith banjo tuners.
    Signed by: Gene Parsons, Dave Edmunds, Billy Bremner and Albert Lee

1963 Gibson Melody Maker
    Orange Flake Finish
    Rebuilt to Bo Diddly Fordomatic, 3 P90 pickups

And the brothers you know by now:)

[​IMG]

And here's the t-shirt graphics. The "Deuce Nat" thing is just for fun, there's no such thing but it looks cool on the t-shirt.
    "Guitars-the museum" is the official logo and this thread is where you saw it first.
    The hot rodders have packed up their cars with the shirts and will be giving them away during the cruising and the car meet. We'll also show some other stuff under this happening but more about that later:cool:

So if you're in the north of Sweden the week after "Midsommar", come to Umeå and look for the hot rods and you might get a cool t-shirt:thumb:

[​IMG]

Pretty fun project to be involved in:D

10 people like this.
  13. alk-3

alk-3 MLP Sponsor

Cant wait to get one of those t-shirts. so cool. that logo would look great on any colour shirts.

1 person likes this.
  14. Mildperv

Mildperv Senior Member

All those poor guitars to be stuffed in display cases and not getting played :(

15. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

Haha, yeah, there are a couple of t-shirts waiting to be shipped to Canada:)

16. Mouse

Mouse Senior Member

Cool ! keep us informed.

17. Red Pharoah

Red Pharoah Banned

Magnus, Could you get one of your beautiful Sweedish blond ladies to model this T-shirt? And could you wet them down really good first!:shock::naughty:

And thanks for all the hard work you, the brothers and all are doing!!

18. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Senior Member

Magnus, this is INCREDIBLE!

19. GuitarsTM

GuitarsTM Junior Member

Hello!
    My name is Fredrik Fagerlund and I´m one of the guys involved in this project. My role in Guitars - The Museum is public relations and booking of artists to the venue.

Much like Magnus and the Brothers I´ve been into vintage guitars for quite some time. In fact, my first regular job was at the local music store in Umea where one of the brothers, Michael Åhdén, became a vintage guitar mentor to me. I got crucial info on how many screws there are in a 50ies telecaster pick guard and that a Les Paul junior is the coolest guitar around for a reasonable amount of cash. This was in the late 80-ies and I bought a 1963 SG-shaped Les Paul Junior back then and It´s still my fav guitar to this day. Also got a 1957 single cut Les Paul jr that I really love. P-90 is my thing. I just love those Juniors.

As Magnus have stated earlier in this thread, this is the first official source of information from Guitars - The Museum, we believe that its just plain right that the guitar community gets the info first. So, we continue in that spirit and release our Facebook site here first, here it is...

https://www.facebook.com/GuitarsTheMuseum

We really hope that you like it and LIKE it.

Have a nice Sunday and hopefully Magnus can report from the photo sessions that has started again after a short summer break. Last but not least, I will hook up with Mick Taylor, the editor, from Guitarist (UK) on thursday for interwievs and some filming of the collection and the premises in Umea. I´ll try to get back to you to report on that asap. Best // Fred.

6 people like this.
  20. oli

oli Senior Member

Thanks for posting, Fredrik !

2 people like this.