GUITARS-The Museum, a work in progress

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by GooCart, Apr 3, 2013.

1. duraipunk

duraipunk Senior Member

Some really beautiful guitars you've got there. That place is gonna be awesome!

2. Ace1432

Ace1432 Senior Member

i love all of this.

3. mbowen

mbowen Premium Member

A show i did in the early 1990's to raise money for the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland with a bunch of mine and a buddies guitars.Bursts first.They are L-R a 1960 refin--0-0154----9-1898---9-0633 and last a 1957 PAF Goldtop,Mike B.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. mbowen

mbowen Premium Member

Same show a Vee some killer 50's and 60's Strats etc.Mike B.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  5. mbowen

mbowen Premium Member

Magnus not trying to steal your thread just thought i would add some guitars to your already amazing photo display.Thanks for keeping us in the loop with this very important international guitar event,I will have to try and get there after it opens .Thanks again Mike B.PS --if you want the guitar shots removed i will gladly take them out i just thought it was a little more eye candy to help promote this great thread.

6. oli

oli Senior Member

There ain't no such thing as "too much eye candy"... Mike, those pics are awesome ! Thank you, you just made my day...

7. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

Nice photos there Mike!! That 'burst of yours is really nice and the TV Jr looks almost identical to the brothers, that's cool.
    I know that some of the brothers guitars came from Gil, if you talk to him I think it would be cool if you'd point him in this direction.

Today we have completed the final design of the display systems for the museum, it feels great. Now we'll start the layout, how we want to hang the guitars in the displays. Since I have almost the entire guitar collection in 3d in my CAD software it's all going to be done in the computer so we know exactly where all the guitars are going. That's really cool, I'd hate a scenario where we run around in the museum the day before Grand Opening, desperately trying to find a place for 25 B-Bender telecasters or 17 Firebirds:hyper:

The photo for today is from a Construction Meeting with HVAC, fire experts and members from the municipality. It's thanks to these meetings that all plans and ideas slowly are taking shape. The brothers and I work mostly with the practicalities of hanging guitars, the display design and the visitors overall experience. We're spared to sit in on these meetings, but we are very grateful and impressed over the job that the rest of the team put into the project:applause::applause:

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  8. alk-3

alk-3 MLP Sponsor

This is just amazing to see. There is so much behind the scenes stuff happening I'm sure. This is an absolute once in a lifetime project to be involved in. You guys are a lucky bunch!

1 person likes this.
  9. mbowen

mbowen Premium Member

Magnus i will try to get hold of Gil and ask him to get in touch with you or the brothers.Here is a shot of his store that might bring back memories to the brothers if they were buying there.The ES section.Mike B.
    [​IMG]

5 people like this.
  10. Sharky

Sharky Senior Member

great stuff there, Magnus. Try to get those parties together at a german conference table and you know how things don't work. You want to install what in our city? A guitar museum? Good joke, next one, please

3 people like this.
  11. MauiCliff

MauiCliff Senior Member

This is what dreams are made of !!

1 person likes this.
  12. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

Haha, yeah, it sure is!!
    Later today we'll start the photo session for the museum catalog. It'll be a slow start with just a couple of guitars, just to do a final set up and to calibrate the cameras and lightning. We all are really looking forward to get started with the job, we believe we will be able to shoot about 4 guitars an hour so it will take many long days. But I'm not complaining, it'll just be fun to have all these guitars around you.

13. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

First report from the photo session.
    I had no clue what we where waiting, this is a huge project, we knew it was a lot of guitars but I don't think we had understood quite how many photos we will end up shooting for the catalog. We're talking about some 1500-2000 just for the guitars and for each and every single photo we take about 5-10 test shoots. Tonight we had this idea to do 9 or 10 Firebirds, 4 valid photos of each guitar. We only shoot 1 per guitar so we have at least two more sessions just for these guitars........

Anyhow, it's fun to be around these guitars, it didn't take long before the room we call the studio smelled really....vintage:)

I didn't have the time to document it as much as I had hoped but here are some random photos.

Case corner

[​IMG]

Custom bird

[​IMG]

And the happy owner

[​IMG]

You gotto clean them up, here's one from the 70's, not sure about the year, '73?

[​IMG]

Back shoot, I haven't got a clue what year this is.

[​IMG]

Here's Mike, positioning a guitar for a back shoot. We use a scaffold as a podium for the camera stand. We wanted to have the camera at about 3.5 meters from the guitars and we did not want to use a guitar stand, so the best option was to shoot from above. For the positioning we use a laser. The scaffold also serve as a enclosure, they are pretty safe laying inside of it.

[​IMG]

Just a random headstock, not supposed to be in the catalog. We'll be shooting separate headstock photos perpendicular to the surface to avoid the lens distortion.

[​IMG]

Tomorrow we'll continue with the firebirds/thunderbirds and after that I think it's time for some Les Paul and Flying V. And about the studio, it's one of the huge room in the basement of the school, the workers are doing their thing on the other floors but the basement is still untouched. So the guitars are getting a taste of things to come and we get a lot of practice in carrying guitars to the place:p

6 people like this.
  14. oli

oli Senior Member

That's awesome, Magnus ! I can't wait to see more of these !

15. MauiCliff

MauiCliff Senior Member

My new favorite thread !!!

16. Lebo

Lebo Senior Member

awesome

17. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

Firebirds, again. I see them when I close my eyes but I can live with that:)

Today we shoot some headstock and perspective photos.

Here's a photo of the headstock setup. We placed the camera perpendicular to the headstocks using a digital caliper, it worked like a charm and the photos looks amazing:thumb: We only use the roof lights when we move around the guitars, when we shoot the photos it's all dark except the studio lightning.

[​IMG]

Here's the computer we use to verify the photos, it's connected to the cameras and automatically store and show the images.

[​IMG]

Here's Mike playing a 3 p90 non reverse 'bird. They tune all guitars prior to the shooting, I'm not really sure why....:hmm:

[​IMG]

OK, time for the perspective shoot, here's Sam positioning one of the guitars. Laser for positioning again.

[​IMG]

Here's Roger, the photographer, doing his thing.

[​IMG]

I just had to try the studio lightning with my simple Nikon D90. Pretty cool, but you should see the photos from the pro camera.....:shock::dude:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10 guitars done in two days.......We think we can be faster, we learn some new tricks all the time so we will save a lot of time. Tomorrow it's time for some basses, Thunderbirds to be precise.

6 people like this.
  18. Shadowplayer

Shadowplayer Senior Member

Man I am enjoying this. Looking forward to more pics as they become available. Is there a chance I could get some more. Dont think I will ever be able to visit (Sweden is kinda far away)

1 person likes this.
  19. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

You can't be that far away, i see you come from the Best Fricken country in the WORLD and as I've understood it it's right here in Sweden:thumb:

But seriously, this photos are shoot for a catalog, or should I say a book. We haven't really decided the format for it or how large edition we will publish. Some of the photos will be published on the web site and so on. But all this will be more clear further in to the project. As for now we're focusing on documenting all the stuff and I will try to give you updates from the photo sessions, I guess you you've seen enough of the actual process so now I'll try to focus on giving you some some photos of some cool guitars. Who know, I might even try to do some video clips, it could be cool.

20. mmcquain

mmcquain V.I.P. Member

Very cool... I look forward to seeing more!

1 person likes this.