GUITARS-The Museum, a work in progress

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by GooCart, Apr 3, 2013.

1. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

Here are some photos showing the place from the inside. The work have started, the guys are blowing it out, it'll be completely clean before we start with the interior.

In this photo you get a pretty fine view of the size, we will open up at least one of the rooms and make a large open site that amongst others will house a Cream exhibition, complete with guitars, amps and drums.

[​IMG]

We plan to reuse the old design with these deep window niches and traditional wainscoting along the walls.

[​IMG]

Test fitting a guitar, OK, it's a Epiphone but you get the idea:thumb:

[​IMG]

Here's a rough 3d sketch showing how we intend to use the niches and a low floor ledge.

[​IMG]

8 people like this.
  2. oli

oli Senior Member

Wow Magnus... This is AWESOME !
    Now I know I'll be visiting Sweden in 2014 :naughty: !

I'll be looking forward to this great project...
    Thanks for sharing !

2 people like this.
  3. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

Haha, you're more than welcome!
    Here's a photo from the brothers guitar vault, the case department. If you try real hard I think you might see what the stickers say. I don't know the history behind it or if there is a real Jeff Beck connection but it's still pretty cool:dude:

[​IMG]

And here's one of my favorite guitars in the entire collection, a super nice '59 TV Junior.

[​IMG]

Well, in all honestly, a '60 burst isn't that bad either:naughty:
    No, seriously, the first time I saw this very guitar I was hooked. It's the reason I do all this, that's why I joined MLP and that's where my obsession for the burst came from. The Holy Grail, indeed.

[​IMG]

I get some emails and PM's regarding the museum, that's cool but feel free to ask questions or come with thoughts here in the thread.

I have one thing you might help us with. We're setting up a exhibition to show how Gibson and Fender guitars was made in the 50's. Like a "How Stuff Works, vintage guitar manufacturing". For this exhibition we're going to need original photo material from the Kalamazoo and Fullerton factories so if you know of any sources for photos just let me know.

13 people like this.
  4. alk-3

alk-3 MLP Sponsor

this is so cool.

3 people like this.
  5. Jessenoah

Jessenoah Senior Member

Any photos of the "other instruments" old keys or drums?

6. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

As far as I'm aware there aren't that many keyboards in the collection, a old Hammond L100 is all I know of. I know the guitar and amp collection pretty well but I have some to learn about the drums. I know there are a couple of 60's Ludvig kits but I don't have any photos. In fact, the photos I have posted here are just old photos I have had on my computer except for the new ones from the interior of the museum. But I will update this thread with more photos, I'm really looking forward to the photo session we have planned for the museum catalog. It'll be a massive and intense job and I will try to document it and post it here.

7. Fletch

Fletch V.I.P. Member

Holy Shit! I'm going to Sweden

This is awesome and a wonderful way for the Brothers to share this fantastic collection.

fletch

4 people like this.
  8. BOWHUNTER

BOWHUNTER Senior Member

wow I can,t wait to see more I would like to get one of the books when you get them done what a cool project to be part of

1 person likes this.
  9. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

Thanks guys!!
    OK, here's one for our Canadian friends, a '87 one of Larrive, custom built for the brothers and signed by Janne Schaffer, a famous Swedish session player.

[​IMG]

Sam is crazy about b-bender telecasters, he have told me how many he have but I don't remember, some 20+. I don't have any recent photos but here's one of them, a modified 1963 Fender/Danelectro Telecaster.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next week I think I can give you some updates, it's a lot of things going on here, but in the meantime I'll try to dig up some more old photos from the collection.

3 people like this.
  10. Shadowplayer

Shadowplayer Senior Member

damn why is this in Sweden. thats lame. come to America

11. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

1 person likes this.
  12. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

1 person likes this.
  13. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

Hey Rudi,
    wow, that was a really cool site with lots of cool information, thanks!!

1 person likes this.
  14. Mouse

Mouse Senior Member

Wow :wow:, another good reason to visit Sweden ! :thumb::thumb::thumb:
    :applause::applause::applause:

2 people like this.
  15. Stone76

Stone76 Senior Member

I've just found myself looking up the distance from Berlin to Umea.
    1,691 km.

Sure as sh*t I'll drive up there when this opens.

Congrats on the idea, Magnus & Co.

4 people like this.
  16. alk-3

alk-3 MLP Sponsor

Sweden, and specifically Umea have a rich and long history of producing some world class music through the years. It's no suprise to me that this collection is located right where it is, especially after learning about the city and its history.
    There is literally a whole world outside of America :thumb:
    Umea has been named Cultural Capitol of Europe for 2014. its a perfect time for the city to showcase some of what it has to offer the world. It's definitely on the shortlist of places to visit for me.

5 people like this.
  17. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

Thanks Tom,
    and yeah, Tom is right. There's a lot of things going on here in our little town, European Capital of Culture 2014, the Guitar Museum and our hockey team, Björklöven, has advanced to the second-highest division in the country. That's big to me at least:thumb:

Umeå is something of a capital of culture, even without the official appointment as The European Capital of Culture 2014. The city have raised everything from hardcore bands like the Refused to the progressive/math metal-band Mehuggah. The late writer Stieg Larsson, known for the Millennium series was also born in Umeå. The list goes on and on, I'm sure I have left out something important but you get the idea, music and culture is important for us.

2014 will be a interesting year for all of us up here and I hope some of you guys can come and visit us.

I don't have any new photos to show you guys. We have worked with the photo studio setup for the the museum catalog. It'll start next Monday and I'll try to document it for you. We'll be carrying around a lot of guitars next week.......

But for the picture of today I thought I should show you something really old. It's the band we had back in the early 80's, the Steve Roper Band. This photo is from a national pop band contest. It was quite OK for us. We were knocked out in the semifinals and those who won are not entirely unknown. Europe, you know, Final Countdown.

OK, let's see if I remember the guitars, to the left we have Sam and a '69 Dan Armstrong, in the middle it's me and my '64 CAR precision bass and to the right it's Mike and a '54 Fender Esquire.

[​IMG]

Here's the Dan Armstrong today, some 30 years later.

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  18. mbowen

mbowen Premium Member

And here's one of my favorite guitars in the entire collection, a super nice '59 TV Junior.

[​IMG]
    Magnus i love 1959 Tv Jr's as well.Thanks Mike B.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. mbowen

mbowen Premium Member

Well, in all honestly, a '60 burst isn't that bad either:naughty:
    No, seriously, the first time I saw this very guitar I was hooked. It's the reason I do all this, that's why I joined MLP and that's where my obsession for the burst came from. The Holy Grail, indeed.

[​IMG]
    Agree again although the one i have left is a 1959 and a lowly refin but i like it.Thanks Mike B.
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. mbowen

mbowen Premium Member

My friend Gil's 1963{i think it was one of the 1958's shipped in 1963} Explorer.Mike B.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.