GUITARS-The Museum, a work in progress

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by GooCart, Apr 3, 2013.

1. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

Hi,
    as some of you know I am a industrial designer and I work in many different fields, I have designed everything from telephones and hockey helmets to caravans and RVs. Some of you might also have seen the guitar I designed for Tom Bartlett and Kim Lafleur, the Bartlett Retrospec.

As a designer I have some projects I think it could be cool to be involved in, like a new BMW, a cool boat maybe or why not a new Gibson guitar. But to tell you the truth, that's not really who I am. I'm a vintage kind of guy and it's not often, if ever, you get a chance to design something that's supposed to be vintage or even have the smallest vintage vibe. But that was until just recently........

Two old friends of me, the twin brothers Sam & Mike Åhdén, have a huge guitar collection. They started to collect guitars, drums and amps way back in the 70's and have today a really impressive collection of vintage musical equipment. The collection includes a number of 50's Gibson Les Pauls, a 1950 Fender Broadcaster (similar previously owned by Pink Floyd’s David Gilmour), a bunch of 50's and 60's Stratocasters and two '59 Gibson Flying Vs and comprises over 500 pieces in total.

The twin brothers, me and the other guys involved in this project I'm about to introduce to you share the same dedication for these old guitars and I'm really enthusiastic to share some cool news with you.

As the title say, we're now planing, designing and building a big vintage guitar museum based on this collection. My role in the whole thing is to realize the brothers' ideas, how they want the guitars to be displayed, the different types of environments and themes needed to best display all the guitars, drums and amplifiers available in the collection. So I'm a kind of creative design manager for the project and I'm super exited about everything around the project, this is really the stuff dreams are made of and a big and interesting challenge for all of us involved in the building of the museum.

Here I'll show you some photos, the first set are from a small exhibition the brothers held in the late 90's. The photos aren't as good as I'd want but they'll give you a pretty good view of some of the guitars, so without any further introduction; GUITARS!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Museum which is set to open in February 2014 will be housed over four floors in an SEK 18 million modification of a huge old school premises, a building that will further comprise a live stage, a music shop, restaurant and bar. Here is a photo of the building.

[​IMG]

This thread at mylespaul is the first official source for information and photos from the work in progress of the museum. The reason I chose to post it here is because the museum is run by enthusiasts and I know that there are no place with as much enthusiasm for vintage guitars as here on MLP.

I'll try to update the thread with skeches and layout plans, photos from the constructiuon of the displays and such. As the project continues I think you guys can be involved, we're going to need all the help we can to try to find old photos from the Kalamazoo factory that we can use in some way and there are numbers of things and information that we're going to need some help to find so feel free to contact me or just write here in the thread.
    I hope you guys will enjoy the ride, you can bet I do.

Ah, I almost forgot, the name of the museum; GUITARS-The Museum

2. Sharky

Sharky Senior Member

WTF! I can tell you where to leave all the guitars till the place is set and I promise to give back at least half the guitars to you.

2 people like this.
  3. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

I just found some more photos from the collection I can share.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ah, while we're at it, how about some more car photos:naughty:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a pretty cool guitar.

[​IMG]

4. Stowburst

Stowburst V.I.P. Member

Thanks for sharing!! wow!

1 person likes this.
  5. Shadowplayer

Shadowplayer Senior Member

dude, thats sweet. I offer my services as manual labor for moving the guitars if needed. The price is one of my choosing.

1 person likes this.
  6. raul

raul Senior Member

What a killer opportunity Magnus! Looking forward to see the progress on this.

1 person likes this.
  7. sikoniko

sikoniko Senior Member

great to see something like this happen. I struggle with the idea of large private collections of instruments, as these are instruments that should be played. Hopefully, this will preserve these instruments for future generations to enjoy and appreciate. I hope someone here in the US does something similar. something I wish guys like Dirk Ziff & Norman Harris would do with their collections...

1 person likes this.
  8. mapleflame

mapleflame Senior Member

Wonderful

1 person likes this.
  9. mbowen

mbowen Premium Member

Very interesting thanks for sharing .I hope you will update the thread as things progress.Mike B.

1 person likes this.
  10. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

Thanks for all your positive replies, it's really fun for all of us that are involved in the project.
    Mike B, I will update the thread as soon as I have something to share. I will try to cover as much as possible from the project, everything from our brainstorm meetings to the museum catalog photos session, it'll be a intense journey but we in the project team really wants to share as much as possible, it's to much fun to keep it to us self:thumb:

1 person likes this.
  11. dayguitar

dayguitar Member

That's awesome, I would love to visit if I was anywhere near Sweden. It would be amazing if they did a sort of 'chance to play a vintage guitar' room. Don't know if that would be feasible with such valuable vintage guitars but would be amazing for us guys that don't get a chance to get our hands on such guitars. Either way, looks amazing, and looking forward to seeing the progress.

1 person likes this.
  12. Greg's Guitars

Greg's Guitars Senior Member

Any of those guitars need a new home look me up bro, errr........... hook me up bro !!

1 person likes this.
  13. mbowen

mbowen Premium Member

Thanks Magnus it will be great fun for the forum members to be able to follow the projects progress.Great idea and i wish them all the luck in the world with it.Mike B.

14. Murphy59plaintop

Murphy59plaintop Banned

Truly Fantastic :thumb:

15. guyfawkes

guyfawkes Junior Member

Can I live here?

16. Steelneck

Steelneck Senior Member

Really cool to see this is coming true. I've read about this several years ago, but back then the brothers had trouble finding the proper fundings for the project.

I'll guess this is going to be in Umeå and in the same building that I've heard Scharinska will move to? In that case I will definitely make a combo trip there to see some bands and guitars (and maybe some hockey :))

1 person likes this.
  17. Electroman67

Electroman67 Senior Member

Very, very cool. What a beautiful layout so far, you couldn't have picked a nicer building to do it in. Hats off to you. :applause:

1 person likes this.
  18. Alvinfan

Alvinfan Senior Member

GREAT project !!! :thumb::thumb: Count on me as one of the first visitors !
    PS : How about getting that ´57 gold top that most of the ABBA songs were recorded with ?Tip Top Music still have it for sale
    I think that would be a cool piece of history to have in an exebition like that.
    And it has the most beautiful flame on the Mahogahny !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  19. Danelectro

Danelectro V.I.P. Member

Awesome! A coffee table book with photos of the collection would be nice for those who can't make the trip to Sweden.

7 people like this.
  20. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

Yeah, we've talked about books and catalogs from the collection, we are also trying to find a way to give the vintage guitar geeks around the world a chance to be a part of everything around the museum, maybe like a "club" or society in lack of better words. We haven't worked anything out yet though. Any thoughts and ideas about it would be interesting to hear. In fact, all ideas and thoughts you guys might have about a vintage guitar museum are welcome, we have our view and ideas but it's really interesting to hear a third part.

One thing I don't think you know about the brothers. They play in a band, like on a regular basis, and this stuff is used, not all of it, but the favorites are getting played a lot. Here are some photos from a gig we did for a couple of weeks ago.

Here's Mike and a....I actually don't know. '63 335?

[​IMG]

And here's Sam and a heavy modified 50's tele, sorry for the bad pic, I'll try to find something better.

[​IMG]

And here's your's only. No vintage for me though. The plan was that I should use a super rare '66 slab body pre bass but this old customshop pre bass of mine did the job real fine.

[​IMG]

Here's a link to a live radio show we did with another lineup, I play the guitar here and Mike play the bass. The singer is Mikes daughter Linn.

http://csp.picsearch.com/fblanding?...hUpzQ8c39THvRTGgJln6Y-lsf-sFmJJFUfek3-HB9OXyg

9 people like this.