Guitar Scratch Remover

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by Fretboard, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Fretboard

Fretboard Senior Member

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has actually tried this scratch remover stuff they have as an advertisement on this site (Guitar Scratch Remover Home). If so is worth buying I have a vintage LP and don't want to screw it up.

Thanks,

Fred

2. Darkburst

Darkburst Senior Member

Do you really want to mess with the finish of a 50 year old guitar?

3. Fretboard

Fretboard Senior Member

I guess your right man..

4. Darkburst

Darkburst Senior Member

Can you post some pics of it, or a link if you already posted some on the forum. I bet it looks great even with the scratches!

5. ckmiv

ckmiv Member

I have used this on numerous guitars and it does work well. It is a mild abrasive however, and will also shine the finish. I would use it with caution on an older finish.

6. asher67

asher67 Senior Member

I have an old guitar which a previous owner had not cared for. There were a couple of deep scratches in the neck, just down to the wood. An excellent luthier in my area touched it up and filled the scratches with tinted lacquer, so that the wood no longer is exposed. After a good buffing, the surface was fine and even, and the only indication of the repair is a slight unevenness of color. I never would have attempted it on my own, though.

7. ehamady6

ehamady6 Senior Member

I may have been the first member here to use and review Guitarscratchremover. I use it on my black Custom and love it. Black is the ultimate test for a scratch remover. It even removes pick scratches on my mirror pickguard. Their micro-fiber towels are the best I've ever used. See one of my several MLP threads covering Guitarscratchremover with before & after pictures and links to YouTube videos at: http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/luthiers-corner/17894-guitarscratchremover-com.html

Here is an excerpt:
    Hallelujah!!! It worked!!! After zero success with ScratchX and Virtuoso Cleaner & Polish on the micro-fine scratches, I didn't get my hopes up. All of the scratches and swirls on my black LPC are now GONE. It only took 2 applications. I didn't take before-and-after photos because I couldn't get the scratches to show. A quarter-sized glob on one of the Micro-Fiber Towels I ordered with the scratch remover (the very best guitar-cleaning towels I've ever used) covered the scratched areas several times over. I cleaned the guitar with Virtuoso Cleaner first. After wiping away the scratch remover the finish was like glass. It's impossible to make a mistake with this stuff too.

I just got the scratch remover today (Monday). I only used the goop that was on the cap so it will take years to use it all. The order page at guitarscratchremover.com asked for my guitar model and color so they could specifically formulate the remover, and they kept it silicone-free per my request. Black is a tough color. I couldn't be happier with the result.

------

Use the Search to find many other posts in our forum covering this product.

[​IMG]

8. EEF13

EEF13 Senior Member

i think it would be better for newer guitars or guitars people are gonna sell. The older ones should look like they were used to keep that vintage vibe going on.

9. scozz

scozz Senior Member

After hearing all the alcolades I just ordered a jar. My 82 Custom has a few scratches on the back that I'd love to get out, or at least lighten.

10. ehamady6

ehamady6 Senior Member

Make sure you specify "silicon-free" when placing your order.

11. Boshizzle

Boshizzle Senior Member

+1

Also, putting anything on an old guitar's finish is dangerous. If the stuff gets under the finish through a crack, for example, it will make things worse. Best to just wipe the guitar down with some dry micro fiber cloth, IMO.

12. Vintage_Burster

Vintage_Burster Senior Member

It works great. Team it up with Virtuoso and you'll have a scratch free shiney beast!I think maybe starting with the Virtuoso Cleaner, then the Scratch Remove, then the Polish would work best!

13. rtesdorph

rtesdorph Junior Member

Hey dudes... ;)
    I've just got the Player's Kit from Guitarscratchremover.com because i have some scrathes on my les paul's. i started to put some on my ''Epiphone Les Paul Standard'' because i wanted to try it out on a cheaper les paul before i did it on my ''Gibson Les Paul Traditional''... ;D but the scrathes on my epi just didn't seam to come off...? in the players kid there is a 'blue' Guitar Finish Restore Plus and two 'red' Guitar Finish Restore Plus. I just took'd the Micro-fiber Towel put some of the red stuff on the towel, and wiped it on in cirkles, and then I wiped it off again... Then I took'd some of the 'blue' stuff on the towel, and did the same thing... But the scrathes didn't go away... !
    -what is the diferent between the red and the blue?
    -why can't i get the scrathes off?
    -And how did you do it?
    Thank's in advance... ;) ROCK ON!!!

14. macdog

macdog Senior Member

I've used it to good effect on new guitars. From memory, I think that their website does not recommend using it on vintage instruments.

15. harrie 0492

harrie 0492 Senior Member

Strange people guitarplayers, i payed 2000 more fore scratches, leave it.

16. Weaver

Weaver Senior Member

I like to show the use, but anything major this could be nice.

17. rtesdorph

rtesdorph Junior Member

To MACDOG..
    --I've used it to good effect on new guitars. From memory, I think that their website does not recommend using it --on vintage instruments

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yearh but the scrathes are on the basck of my Les Paul, and it should work there but it dosn't...? :wtf:

18. edselman

edselman Senior Member

The scratches didn't come out because the finish on an Epiphone is polyester which is much tougher than lacquer.

19. rtesdorph

rtesdorph Junior Member

ohh Thats why...!!!
    Thank's Allot man...!
    I've also tried on my gibby now, and i really did it hard and tought, and i see a BIG and SICK change :shock: , but thay are not quite gone, so I ques that I just have to do it 2-3 times... :D

-but anyway, I still can't figure out what the difrence is between the 'red' and the 'blue'?

20. Walman

Walman Senior Member

The red is for very light swirls and is more of a finish polish after use of the blue which is their most abrasive and most powerful grade polish, personally I have never bothered with the red.