Guitar Magazines

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by E1WOOD5150, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Midnight Blues

Midnight Blues Premium Member

I started subscribing to Guitar Player in the early '70s. There weren't many magazines (if any others for that matter?) back then dedicated to just guitar. I also subscribed, or went to, the local "Smoke Shops" at that time to get copies of Circus and Creem magazines. I stopped subscribing to GP in the mid '80s, went on a 20 year hiatus and started subscribing again in '06.

If I notice that there something of interest in "Guitarist" magazine, I'll pick-up a copy, likewise with "Premier Guitar" or "Vintage Guitar" magazines. Rarely will I even look at "Guitar World". I guess I'm a little to old for that?

I like to read about the gear players are using, their technique, influences, what about those influences inspired them and the lesson content, in particular, Jesse Gress' stuff, especially his "10 Thins You've Gotta Do To Play Like..." series.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.

2. Petergrifindor

Petergrifindor Senior Member

Young guitar.

It is expensive, and it is in japanese. What more could you want?

3. lemmy loud

lemmy loud Senior Member

I subscribe to them when I get a rare "5$ for two deal" or something like that, but they do not bear
    repetitive readings. One thing that I find hilarious, is the one called Premier Guitar has about 14
    "MONSTER PEDAL ISSUE"s a year, and about 35 "dont use pedals to be creative" type editorials
    spread among the different editors. I dunno, I think its somewhat humorous . . . But Prem Guitar
    and Vintage Guitar are probably the best out of all of them. Guitar Player is a sad shell of what it used
    to be, and Guitar World is mostly 7-String Ibanez'age, which I just dont get on any level.

4. lemmy loud

lemmy loud Senior Member

I have those. As an automotive illustrator, I have 1000's of car mags going back to the early 60's. When Car Craft and Rod and Custom
    were little 4.5 x 8.5 thingee's

5. flamesarewicked

flamesarewicked Senior Member

What would you guys suggest is the best all around magazine to get? When I was a teen many years ago I had subscription for Guitar world... with the resources on the web now days, ya can find out anything ya need within mins.. sometimes ya just wanna thumb through a magazine.. kinda like mail order catalogs .. yeah I can look at it online but I wanna look through it for the hell of it ..

6. derek1977

derek1977 Senior Member

I stopped buying around the time I got a computer in 2007. I was a little late to the party.

7. derek1977

derek1977 Senior Member

The buyers guides are fun to flip thru. Although you only see a couple each year. GW does a good one with the added benefit of a few under-dressed ladies .

8. Larcos_Unal

Larcos_Unal Senior Member

Guitar Techniques is fantastic, I get one every year in my stocking. GW/GP have really gone downhill and I haven't bought one in a while. Tabs used to be my main reason for purchasing them but with the interwebs, you can find anything nowadays.

9. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

Haven’t bought any for a long time. Once the ships started having internet, I no longer needed to stock up on surf and guitar mags. Surf mags are still cool, but guitar mags are solid commercials. Even the gear reviews are commercials. Basically, they might have a good interview or two, but I can get a musicians friend catelog and have all the gear and more, and the same amount of interviews.
    Sometimes the tech/practice articles can be ok, but I ususally never follow up on them.
    Periodicals in print are going the way of the dinosaurs.
    “I like to feel a real newspaper in my hands when I drink my coffee in the morning.”
    Yeah?
    Well, you better scrape some friends together, because they’re going Digital.
    They can put it online, and still charge for ads.
    Sad?
    Must not be, because it’s entirely consumer-driven.

10. Sean D

Sean D Junior Member

I stopped with guitar mags when Guitar for the Practicing Musician was acquired and subsequently destroyed. That mag had the most accurate transcriptions to songs I loved to play. I have not found another with the same quality transcriptions or song selection.

11. hollywoodrox

hollywoodrox Member

I rarely if ever buy them now unless there is a feature that I’m super interested in , which is rare nowadays like a GnR or Slash feature , but I have a huge collection of 80s guitar world magazine , and early 90s which I love and read many times. Great features on all my favourites from guns n roses , Aerosmith, rat, Domenic, Rolling Stones , van halen, vai etc, really lively letters pages with people getting worked up about their fave bands and some great cartoons illustrating crazy things people said in their letters, the guitar sam cartoon, awesome adverts, great guitars and gear, outstanding interviews. What more could you ask. Pick up guitar world now and it’s so sterile, sycophantic letters, dull interviews it just doesn’t seem like the same mag

derek1977 likes this.

12. hollywoodrox

hollywoodrox Member

Saying that , vintage guitar magazine is worth a drool over but we don’t really get it here in the UK

13. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

The only time I buy magazines is at the airport getting on a flight. It's usually a guitar mag, sometimes a cycling or other gear review mag.

I used to like taking the shuttle from NYC to DC. The put out a ton of a wide variety of mags, free.

Rolling Stone is not worthy of lining a birdcage.

14. Subterfuge

Subterfuge Senior Member

what are the magazines up to now ?? $8 or $9 for something that's 70% adds ? I go to the store, buy a Starbucks and read them all, unless it is something I really, really have to have, I pass on them all

15. Subterfuge

Subterfuge Senior Member

Rolling Stone contains about 10 pages now and is the size of a 1970's TV Guide .... pathetic is too mild a descriptive term ... just kill the dam thing already .. the hippies have retired... please let the "magazine?" die peacefully

16. MooCheng

MooCheng Senior Member

the only one I sub' to is Acoustic Guitar Magazine, its more player orientated with copy about players.

the electric based mags tend to focus more on gear and are very repetitive, theres only so much setting up stats and Bernie Marsden you can take

BlankinLoud likes this.

17. OldBenKenobi

OldBenKenobi Senior Member

I used to buy Guitar World regularly during the mid 2000s. Stopped around 2007 though.

A little while ago I bought an issue because it had Tony Iommi on the cover. Got a nasty surprise when it got rung up. $10! And it was wafer thin compared to the older ones. Didn't really get much out of it.

And that "little while ago?" It was five years ago. I can only imagine where they're at now.

18. dsmcl77

dsmcl77 Senior Member

The French Vintage Guitar, coming out every other month. And occasionally one or the othermag when I find something interresting.

19. RustyNuts

RustyNuts Premium Member

I still have a subscription to GW if for no other reason than nostalgia. I rarely read through them cover to cover any more and most I just flip through.

20. BlankinLoud

BlankinLoud Senior Member

That reminds me the February issue of Acoustic Guitar should be in the shops. :)

MooCheng likes this.