Guitar Magazines

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by E1WOOD5150, Dec 8, 2017.

1. E1WOOD5150

E1WOOD5150 Purveyor of Joke Grenades

I used to regularly go to Barnes & Noble and peruse their guitar magazines, find the ones with articles I wanted to read and purchase them. I would usually get Guitar World, and to a lesser extent, Guitar Player. Every once in a while, I'd pick up Premier Guitar or Vintage Guitar. On the rare occasion that there was a magazine devoted to a particular player or band that I like, I'd get that, too.

Now that I have MLP, I haven't bought a guitar magazine in over a year. I did buy a Rolling Stone magazine dedicated to Led Zeppelin (oh, the irony!) at the airport to read on a flight, but finished the whole thing in about an hour and a half, and even left it on the plane for the next person.

I get my gear reviews, album reviews, tour info and such from you guys! More than one person will usually have had experience with the gear, or the album, and to me, this is more practical than just one guy who essentially is getting paid to "review" the item; their review ends up being an advertisement for the manufacturer/band.

So, do y'all still buy the magazines? And if you do, what are you looking for in them that this esteemed bunch of knuckleheads doesn't have to offer?

Attached Files:

2. E1WOOD5150

E1WOOD5150 Purveyor of Joke Grenades

And yes, The Backstage does provide so much more than ANY magazine could ever provide ('cept maybe some nakedity).

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  3. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

I haven’t bought one in years, but for several years I took advantage of free subscription offers. It was good bathroom reading.

E1WOOD5150, parts and electric head like this.
  4. Brians Evil Twin

Brians Evil Twin Poophoria Sōtō Zen V.I.P. Member

My bathroom is fully stocked with subscriptions to Vintage Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, American Songwriter and the occasional Guitar Aficionado purchased at the newsstand.

I could take my iPad in there, but ewww.

E1WOOD5150 likes this.
  5. Jymbopalyse

Jymbopalyse Senior Member

Mag - a - zine

You mean one of those thingies with all the shiny flippy pages and words and stuff.

You can still get those ? And have to pay for them ??

And not be in the doctors office.

E1WOOD5150 and defcrew like this.
  6. rogue3

rogue3 Senior Member

my last mag purchase was 1992.At that point,i started playing out so much, i really was only interested in used gear/vintage gear,and there was a great shop locally.no interest in new.

E1WOOD5150 likes this.
  7. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

I still subscribe to Guitar Player. It doesn't cost much, and I like to see their reports on gear -- especially newly-introduced gear.

Midnight Blues and E1WOOD5150 like this.
  8. Rich

Rich Non sequitur Premium Member

Shrinking sales is pretty much the deal for most print media, particularly newspapers. It's even more true these days with smart phones and tablets - before that stuff, it was a real chore to haul your desktop PC into the shitter.

9. fry

fry Senior Member

I have gotten Guitar World magazine for a good while now, and I just keep renewing it. They practically give it away these days, so it’s good, cheap entertainment for a little while every month.

RustyNuts and E1WOOD5150 like this.
  10. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

Mostly the tab books acquired over the years as well as online lesons like GuitarForce.com. I can pay to get the stuff i always wanted to learn bit could never find in print.

E1WOOD5150 and DADGAD like this.
  11. garybaldy

garybaldy Senior Member

I subscribed to a British (?) publication called Guitar techniques back in 1996 after I'd joined a country band.Ten years later they were re-hashing all the same stuff so stopped getting it. I still have more than a life time of study in the ones I have (kept them all).
    I must also have 150 or so Guitarist mags most of which were given to me.
    These days I only ever check any of them out when I need a transcription of anything I need to learn.
    Rarely buy any at all but if I do, I like to check the entire content before I do. I hate the ones which are sealed with a free supplement - never buy them.

hollywoodrox, frankv and E1WOOD5150 like this.
  12. bungle

bungle Senior Member

Local thrift store gets mags and books in regularly. Usually $0.35 Read articles, check out tab, then re-donate them so someone else can use them.:h5:

E1WOOD5150 and cherrysunburst00 like this.
  13. sdny

sdny Senior Member

I have dozens of Guitar FPM as early as 1984. I bought the mag every month for many years. Every magazine had at least one song that I knew that was by a well known band. Then, in the 90s when all that grungy stuff came along, I didn't recognize any of these new songs being transcribed, so I only bought the mags when there was something I liked in it. I just bought Guitar World Holiday 2017 because it has La Villa S... in it, which has already appeared in a past issue. However the number of transcriptions per issue has certainly diminished from about 4-5 songs with bass to 3 with only tabs and no standard notations.

14. DADGAD

DADGAD Senior Member

I go to the guitar show every year and someone is always selling old guitar FPM mags for $1 a piece. I usually get ones with tabs to songs I like and want to learn but isn’t available online. Eg. MSG stairway live. I can’t read some of the tabs online because of the lack of notation and bars. I can, but i’m so used to the way the mags notated everything like the symbols.

15. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

That's really cool and unselfish; good on you, and may goodness come your way.

E1WOOD5150 and bungle like this.
  16. THDNUT

THDNUT Senior Member

I subscribe to Vintage Guitar. That's all any more.

E1WOOD5150 likes this.
  17. bilbarstow

bilbarstow Premium Member

Magazines are my preferred "10 to 15 minutes to make me sleepy" routine. I subscribe to Premier Guitar, Guitar Player (~30 or more years), and Vintage Guitar. Along with 2 Game magazines and 1 computer magazine. Just about the right amount to get me through a month, although I may drop VG and the Computer mag.

Midnight Blues and E1WOOD5150 like this.
  18. defcrew

defcrew Senior Member

I haven't held one of those in my hands in decades. I subscribed to GP for a minute in the 70s. Turned me on to some folks such as Rory Gallagher I might not have known of at that young age and for that I'm quite thankful.

19. Guitarhack

Guitarhack Senior Member

I still enjoy the hard copy of magazines. Premier Guitar and Guitar Player.

20. DLRG

DLRG Member

Here in Germany, I'll occasionally buy 'Gitarre & Bass' really just for something to read in the bath (I do bathe more than occasionally - honest!!). When not soaking my carcass, I tend to prefer looking at guitar stuff online (first & foremost MLP - of course!!) There's a time and a place for everything - right?

E1WOOD5150 likes this.