Guitar kit/bridge placement issues

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by CaseyD, Dec 30, 2017.

1. CaseyD

CaseyD Junior Member

280F27DD-70B1-4F93-BD02-5581105DE133.jpeg Hello everybody I’m new to the Page And need some advice. I am putting together a Les Paul Junior guitar kit and I’m having some trouble getting my measurements set to drill for the bridge. The scale length is about 24 inches, however on that measurement it looks like the bridge needs to be almost in the pick up cavity for the scale length to be right. It’s more than likely the kit itself that’s off. So my question is if I set the bridge a little further away will that greatly destroy any hopes of proper intonation? Also, I’d like the Bridge to be offset, so where on the bridge would I measure to be at the scale length? I was thinking the center of the bridge would be at 24 inches leaving the low E a smidge lower and the high E a smidge higher. Thanks for any help in advance.

I’ll try to include a picture of where the scale is in relation to the body/pickup cavity

2. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

about 24"? Please give an exact measurement from the nut to the dead center of the 12th fret

dickjonesify and CaseyD like this.
  3. CaseyD

CaseyD Junior Member

It looks like it’s 12 to 12&1/16

Attached Files:

4. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

DO NOT DRILL until you know exactly where to.
    Otherwise your guitar WILL NEVER BE IN TUNE.

CaseyD likes this.
  5. CaseyD

CaseyD Junior Member

Absolutely, definitely not taking it lightly.

Bobby Mahogany likes this.
  6. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

Looks like 12 3/8”, which would make 24 3/4” which is a very common scale. Measure 24 3/4” from the nut and place the bridge there. Do not drill. Get a trapeze or other tailpiece and intonate low and high E and then drill.

Regards Peter.

warprider, CaseyD and WhiteEpiLP like this.
  7. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

You know you are supposed to measure to the center of the 12th fret fretwire right? You measured to halfway between the 11th and 12th frets. That shows a really fundamental lack of understanding of what you are trying to do. We'll walk you through it.....

dickjonesify and CaseyD like this.
  8. CaseyD

CaseyD Junior Member

Lol, yes Freddy. You’re 100% correct. I’ve never done this before. I’ve been researching and nobody was very specific as to where exactly on the 12th fret. Makes a lot more sense now that it actually goes to the fret wire itself. I’m going to have help from a friend who’s worked on plenty of guitars before, So I’m not doing it completely alone. Im just snowed in and wanted some initial info from people who specialize in this.

9. Sunburstman

Sunburstman Senior Member

Casey, go to stewmac.com and look at there fret scale calculator.

CaseyD likes this.
  10. cmjohnson

cmjohnson Senior Member

Here is what I have always done and I've never missed.

This applies to a Tune-O-Matic bridge type.

Measure from the point the nut touches the fingerboard to the peak of the 12th fret.
    Double this measurement.
    Add 1/8 inch.

At this point, draw a line across the body, perpendicular to the centerline axis of the fingerboard. Now, place your bridge on this line and mark the centers of the studs on the line.

Now, increase the distance from the nut to the BASS side stud center by 3/32nds of an inch. At the same time, decrease the distance from the treble side stud center by 3/32nds of an inch.

Draw a line thru these adjusted stud locations. This is exactly the line you want your bridge studs to be placed on. Recheck the stud spacing and recheck that this location has the strings centered up nicely on the fingerboard. (Put strings on the bridge, just the outer two, to check this. They don't need to be anchored down or anything.)

This method has never failed me.

Double nut to 12th fret length, add 1/8", rotate bridge to add 3/32" scale length to bass side and subtract 3/32" scale length from the treble side.

11. CaseyD

CaseyD Junior Member

Thanks everyone. Measuring to the actual fret itself changed everything. 24&3/4” is the scale length. CMjohnson that seems like a fool proof way to set it off center. I have a tunomatic I can test it on before I drill for the wraparound (I’ll make sure to measure the difference if any where the strings come off the bridges on both).

Thanks sunburst man for the stewmac advise. That place is a gold mine

dickjonesify likes this.
  12. Sunburstman

Sunburstman Senior Member

Hi CaseyD! Glad I could help, can't wait to see it finished!!!

13. warprider

warprider Senior Member

What kit do you have there?

We might be working on the same one.