Guitar Hunting Season - Gretsch, Tele or Epi

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by The Notorious DJ, Mar 6, 2018.

Which one makes your moustache tingly?

1. Gretsch

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Fender

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Epi

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. Buy them all

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. The Notorious DJ

The Notorious DJ Member

Alright guys.

Bit of back story: I DJ quite a bit on weekends (private parties, clubs – whatever comes about) and it’s a pretty easy way to fast-track to your financial goals for guitars Most of my money earned goes into my bank but after practicing for almost a year on a cheap $200 Epi SG special, I’ve saved a bit aside to put toward a new guitar and I officially declare hunting season open!

I love changing between twangy and meaty tones so versatility is really key. My Epi LP is my go to for ‘traditional rock’ so to speak, but have always been in the market for jazzy, blues type guitar. I’ve set a budget of $2500 and my aim is to “treat yourself” but not “piss up me pay for the lols”. So after 2 months of searching and process of elimination, I’ve narrowed it down to a couple of choices:

*Prices are in AUD because Australia is a cash-cow farm for music shops*

Gretsch

• G5420T Electromatic Hollow Body w Bigsby - ~$1399
    • G6228 Players Edition - ~$2719
    • Option 3 – save a bit more for a G6119 Chet Akins Special w Bigsby - ~$3279

Fender Telecaster –

• American Professional Telecaster ~$2470
    • American Special Telecaster - $1679

Epiphone –

• ES-175 Premium - ~$1000
    • Joe Pass Emperor II-Pro - ~ $1449

I’ve attached a chart photo of the guitars in question - the colours are not the colours I’ve chosen but just provide a detail of what I’m after.

Now, it’s a bit of a jump from top range like Fender and Gretsch and the Epi ES175 and Joe Pass are the cheaper options but definitely look good and they do tick some good boxes and without completely blowing the bank. But my heart knows I will regret passing up a professional standard Fender or Gretsch.

I have done my research on them all and it’s hard to conclude which one to get. Have any of you guys come across these? Help me find the right one

Attached Files:

S. Rock likes this.
  2. S. Rock

S. Rock Senior Member

any one of these will do what you're looking for. you may also consider a Duo Jet with FilterTron pickups. (is that what you are referring to as a G6228 ?) the number for a Duo Jet is G6128.

3. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

From a Tele to a Joe Pass?

What style exactly you want to play?
    Those are so different sounding...

wildhawk1 likes this.
  4. jdto

jdto Pretend Human Premium Member

There is a new model this year called the 6228. It’s a bit different specs than the 6128 with some more modern updates.

I have a G5420T and it is a blast. A full hollow body is fun. I have replaced the Blacktop Filtertrons with TV Jones Classics, whose sound I prefer. The Blacktops were good, but I like the Classics even better.

S. Rock likes this.
  5. wildhawk1

wildhawk1 Senior Member

$2500 budget and Epiphone is on the list???

:wtf:

Telecaster or ES 175 or....

Suprised a Hello Kitty Strat isn't in the poll.

Bobby Mahogany and chupe442 like this.
  6. jdto

Both Epiphones he has listed are very nice guitars. A budget "up to" $2500 doesn't mean he has to spend it all if the Epi does what he needs it to do. The Gretsch G5420T also comes in well under budget and they are kickass guitars.

artis_xe likes this.
  7. mmd

mmd Senior Member

I am all about PRS and Gretsch these days. PRS does my humbucking sounds and Gretsch does all my "classic" tones....

Go Gretsch and never look back. They are amazing!!!!

S. Rock and jdto like this.
  8. Norton

Norton Senior Member

Gretsch guitars are cool. They have a very unique sound. But that sound isn’t what I would associate with jazz or blues.

While the electromatic series is very strong, there’s a huge jump in quality from a 5xxxx series to the MIJ 6xxxx series. I’d say spend some quality time with a gretsch before you buy one. They are that different.

Dolebludger, S. Rock and jdto like this.
  9. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

Best bang for the Aussie-Buck, IMO

ES175Prium_EB_Splash.jpg

artis_xe, jdto, S. Rock and 1 other person like this.
  10. S. Rock

S. Rock Senior Member

that is a nice looking guitar, Pete. I'd like to try one of those myself.

paruwi likes this.
  11. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

I should have bought one when they were ~650€

Now they are 850-1000€

jdto and S. Rock like this.
  12. S. Rock

S. Rock Senior Member

I'm surprised you didn't. I've never seen one. of course, I was so busy working the past couple of years that I really haven't been to any guitar stores. I need to rectify that. :D

paruwi likes this.
  13. Left Paw

Left Paw Senior Member

Those models are really different from each other, and with a different playing experience. That said, go with the Tele.

14. The Notorious DJ

The Notorious DJ Member

Well Gretsch is a clear winner and I must say I’ll regret it if I bypass because Gretsch has always caught my eye when I head down to my local - and only decent - guitar store. Plus they are always in stock.

Next question is, what do you reckon? Should I save for the Chet Atkins or settle for the Electromatic?

jdto likes this.
  15. The Notorious DJ

The Notorious DJ Member

That’s correct S.Rock. The Duo Jet is what I referrred to by the G6128 but as jdto said there is a model by G6228. It’s the most common one at the store. Have you come across it?

S. Rock likes this.
  16. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Senior Member

I guess you must go with the guitar that YOU really want.

If I had $2500 to spend, I'd hit all the guitar shops I could and try to find the best sounding and playing used guitar I could find that meets my needs.

I'd never spend $2500 on a new guitar when I could get way more value for my money by buying used.

MY .02.

wildhawk1 likes this.
  17. wildhawk1

wildhawk1 Senior Member

Agree... there's an endless supply of heavily discounted used gear available in minty condition.

I'll let someone else pay hundreds extra for the privilege of taking the stickers and hang tag off.

Texsunburst59 likes this.
  18. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

I could never get sh$t out of a Gtetsch, although many players have, May I suggest a Michael Kelly Telly? Mine has a swamp ash body with a striped ebony top, a mini hum in the neck and a hum in the bridge, both with coil split, and a variable radius thin neck from 9" to 16" radius and a nice rosewood board . It is $549 street and direct so you will have some money left over.

19. filtersweep

filtersweep Senior Member

$2400 for a Tele?!

Frankly, as others have said, I wouldn't buy any of these new. I have a Baja Tele-- which is the best playing guitar I own. It outplays my Gibsons and MIA Fenders, and has prompted me to sell a few guitars. I also tried out a custom shop Tele just for a point of reference-- and it had fantastically finished frets, but other than that, played no better than a Baja. I don't find regular MIA Fenders to be finished any better than a Baja--- though there certainly are lower quality MIM Fenders than a Baja. I picked my Tele up for half of the new price--- used.

I also recently found a Gretsch that I love- a 5420T with a set of TV Jones Classics--- with a case--- for again, half price of a stock Gretsch with no case. OK- it was missing the truss rod cover and pickguard, but for that price, who cares? To my ears, the TV Jones make all the difference in the world. I wanted to buy a Gretsch about 6-7 years ago, but the pickups back then were just dull and muddy-- not sure if they have changed much since then. I would not consider Chinese Gretsches. The trouble with TV Jones is that they are expensive as hell- new, or used, if you can even find them.

Epiphone make fine guitars, but nothing exciting- not an emotional purchase for me. I have shed most of my Asian-built guitars over the years- but had a bit of a relapse with the Gretsch. But even though it is Korean, it is quirky enough to feel Gretschy. It is like driving a French or British car--- everything is just a bit different, yet familiar and comfortable at the same time.

If I were in your shoes, and had to choose one- I would get a decent Tele-- but don't buy too nice of a Tele. They are supposed to be simple and primitive. While I really like my Gretsch, I don't find it versatile enough to be my only guitar--- or even a one of a few guitars.

But a lacquer Epi? That actually sounds a bit interesting. And the Joe Pass is cool on its own merits. I could be wrong, but I believe it is not some copy of a Gibson--- meaning there isn't a Gibson Joe Pass. But you are looking at a Chinese or Indonesian guitar in that case, I believe.

20. jdto

Try them both out and see how they feel. I find the necks on some of the 6 series models to be too thin for me and prefer the slightly fatter neck on my Electromatic. With the upgrades I've put into my Electromatic, it's turned a really good guitar into a great one. It feels and sounds really nice. I probably could have come within a few hundred of the price of a used Pro series Gretsch if I added everything up, but this guitar feels great and sounds great, so I'm pleased with it.

S. Rock likes this.