Guitar Fetish Guitar Kits

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by greasybutton, Jun 1, 2009.

1. surfacing_731

surfacing_731 Member

I just picked up the LP kit and it seems like what Dennis got is about par for the course. My kit has a 4 piece back (the color matches pretty well though) and the neck tenon is off. You can actually see a line penciled in just to the left of the pocket that makes me think they didnt rout it enough on one side... I am actually thinking of filling the pocket and rerouting... not sure yet though

2. Epison

Epison Senior Member

I just got the offset V, the wood matches pretty nicely, but The neck joint is a bit to small for the neck, easy to fix though.

3. surfacing_731

surfacing_731 Member

yea, better it be too small than too big :jam:

4. lefoo

lefoo Member

Hi, just send an e-mail to Jay at Guitar Fetish asking him why LP kit have neck pocket problem, cause i want to make a Zack Wilde LP guitar project and i won't buy that kit unless the neck fit right in, so i let you know when he send me back is answer.
    :dude::dude::dude:

5. surfacing_731

surfacing_731 Member

You'll probably just be told that you have to hand fit the tenon, its part of the kit. Overall I'm fairly happy with the kit, despite the neck pocet issues. It just seems like how hard is it to route things precisely for mass production, cnc and whatnot? It seems almost like after a day at the office somebody had a few coronas and decided to freehand the neck pocket..

On the plus side... The fretboard on my kits neck is, in my opinion, absolutely gorgeous!!!

6. The Dali

The Dali Senior Member

Why do you think these things are $150? If they were perfect they wouldn't be sold at Guitar Fetish for under $200.

7. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

Pretty cool.
    Nice work.

8. lefoo

lefoo Member

Hi, receive the e-mail answer from Jay today at G-Fetish and you were right about tenon fitting, heres the complete answer.

"The LP Kits use an "Offset tenon" style of neck- The finished product looks EXACTLY like a USA made Gibson- but you will have to shim the pocket to get good alignment and a tight fit- It's really easy- especially for a first-time neck set.

i do have standard tenon Lp kits coming, in all mahogany with Flamed tops in October"

So i guess i'll wait till' october.

9. Epison

Epison Senior Member

Well, I got my kit and here are some detailed pictures for you guys, the kit has its ups and downs. Quite a few pictures coming up.

Here's the neck and fretboard:
    [​IMG]

The fretboard is very even and the frets and nibs look very nice.

The headstock:
    [​IMG]

I love the woodgrain on the headstock, it's very nice, in fact, I'm staining the headstock black so I can still see some grain.

The inlays:
    [​IMG]

The inlays are either really shitty pearl, or figured plastic. My guess is plastic.

The neck:
    [​IMG]

This is where the two piece neck comes together.

The body:
    [​IMG]

The body is made of four pieces, the wood is sanded pretty well. the grain's slanted, which should look nice later on.

The knobs:
    [​IMG]

They look hot. ;)

The parts:
    [​IMG]

They're low end but they don't look that bad. You get what you pay for.

Anyway, I'm probably going to start staining it tomorrow, Midnight blue. I'll take some pictures when I'm done.

IMO this kit is worth it for the price. :thumb:

10. Epison

Epison Senior Member

Neck staining

[​IMG]

11. Epison

Epison Senior Member

Stained the body, didn't see a point in staining the cavities, sanding and applying poly satin gloss tomorrow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The wood stain sunk into the body well for the most part BUT there are some parts with factory imperfections, there's either oil or glue sunk into the wood at some points, and the stain just does not sink in. There are only two of these, luckily one in the back, I tried to sand them out but it didn't work. small imperfections bet they're a bit annoying.

12. dennistruckdriver

dennistruckdriver V.I.P. Member

When I get around to it, I am going to seal the wood, then spray the tint over it so I don't have that issue.

13. Epison

Epison Senior Member

This is my first time staining anything besides furniture in shop class, sealing the wood sounds like a good idea though.

edit: I used actual stain instead of tint, is there a difference to the finished product?

14. tylerw16

tylerw16 Junior Member

i bought the flying v kit and i was wondering if theres any thing you need to do to the neck and fret board before you paint it or can you just paint it and lacquer it when you get it

15. GodofRandom

GodofRandom Junior Member

The neck is already assembled, it just needs to be sanded like the body. If you're going to paint, primer would be a good idea. I wouldn't think against sealing too as it is a raw, basswood body.

16. tylerw16

tylerw16 Junior Member

i think il do the sealer to
    thanks

17. The Laserist

The Laserist Senior Member

Dude! That totally KICKS ASS!!! For your first project like that, it turned out SWEET! Rock on with the guitar that YOU built!! That is so cool.:applause::applause::applause:

18. MaidenStrat02

MaidenStrat02 Senior Member

You really should stain the pup routes and trem cavity. Underneath the trem you will definitly see that the wood isn't finished. As soon as you do a dive bomb it's gonna be this ugly white pocket underneath.

19. tylerw16

tylerw16 Junior Member

does anyone have a wiring diagram for the rhoads kit?

20. steadyriot

steadyriot Senior Member