Guitar Fetish Guitar Kits

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by greasybutton, Jun 1, 2009.

1. greasybutton

greasybutton Junior Member

Hmm... What do you guys think about these? They offer set necks, which I haven't seen before. I'm thinking about getting one for a summer project.

Guitar Kits- Built it Yourself!

Ningirsu and The_Sentry like this.
  2. lefoo

lefoo Member

Hey, just bought one (last friday), the offset flying v kit, think i' ll receive it in about 2 weeks.
    For $230.00 canadian dollars, well i can live with my mistake if any !
    More info and pics in about 2 weeks

3. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Senior Member

I'm going to get either one of those or a Bulldog kit and try my hand at making a copy of Jeff Beck's Oxblood LP.

I'm leaning towards the bulldog, only because the GFS kit is basswood. But the price sure is right.

- D

4. AmazingJourney

AmazingJourney Senior Member

I was planning on trying a tele style kit.

5. greasybutton

greasybutton Junior Member

hmmm, is there anything particularly bad about basswood? :hmm:
    Do you guys know of any all mahogany SG kits?

6. TeleDog

TeleDog V.I.P. Member

Juuuuust when I was all set on an amp, now I see this. I've been looking for a dirt cheap SG and I see this stuff, eye candy! Why???? Lord, help me! :D

7. Iceman0124

Iceman0124 Senior Member

A lot of expensive guitars are made of basswood....looks at Vai's, Satrianis, Petrucci sigiture models.

Buy Ibanez UV777 Electric Guitar | Signature Model Electric Guitars | Musician's Friend

Buy Ibanez JS1200 Joe Satriani Signature Guitar | Signature Model Electric Guitars | Musician's Friend

Buy Music Man John Petrucci 6-String Electric Guitar | Signature Model Electric Guitars | Musician's Friend

8. TeleDog

TeleDog V.I.P. Member

The kits are basswood but you also get raw wood bodies and necks so it's hard to hide crap under some veneer or paint.

Sometimes those cheap "mahogany" bodies are just particle board or composite, sure, they use mahogany sawdust an glue so they may be "mahogany" bodies after all.. :D

9. standard man

standard man Senior Member

I say go with a Saga kit. They are actually high quality!

10. circusboy28

circusboy28 Senior Member

Both the Guitar Fetish and the Bulldog kits seem good. It would be nice to hear from someone who's finished one.

11. lefoo

lefoo Member

Hey, this is it i just receive the kit that i ordered from GuitarFetish, mine is a Offset Flying Kit.
    First i just want to say this, i bought this kit for 2 reasons 1st: Flying V Guitar, 2nd: the price, see i live in MTL Canada and for $190.00 Can. everything includes i mean shipping, tax, customs, for me its a good deal.
    Another thing sorry for my english i do my best.
    Ok let's get started, first the body is extremely light (suppose to be basswood), well finished no scratch, i could even spray the clear right now, the neck looks great (i'm not a luthier but all the frets seems to be aligned correctly),the truss rod is there, and the finish is in the same condition as the body, in the kit everything is include, from the truss rod cover right throught the sand paper(yes they give you a small peace of sand paper).
    The pick-ups are very basic 2 wires pick-ups so don't expect much from them.
    The Floyd Rose is a chrome basic floyd nothing more.
    So are the tuners, all in chrome too, so an upgrade will be needed in the future.
    Thats it, don't know what else to write, like i said for the price it's a good kit for a summer project i'll will start painting it this weekend so i'll add some pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last minute update, on the GuitarFetish site they now offer painted neck and body(Flying v too), and the price is very low so go check it out.

12. lefoo

lefoo Member

Hey again, just to add some pics, i just painted the Flying V kit, i know the lines are not that great but....
    Now i have to put the clear coat 15 at least so i'll put others pictures pretty soon.

[​IMG]

themightyjaymoe likes this.
  13. Mike's_LP

Mike's_LP Senior Member

That Rhoads is looking pretty cool!

I'm thinking about the Tele.... Lake Placid blue, fat 70's Strat headstock, stacked HB at the bridge & maybe a PAF-type at the neck.... I'm not a Tele-head by any means, but I was playing a friend's a few weeks ago & that ol' plank was so different, it really got me thinking.

14. The Dali

The Dali Senior Member

Based on the write-up on the site the guitars seemed to need a bunch of "shaving and shimming" so I've been a little skeptical. Especially since you can get one of their Xaviere guitars - fully finished - for the same price.

15. lonewolf

lonewolf Senior Member

It looks like a Jackson King V....with an ESP Alexi Laiho paint scheme.

It looks good, I'd like to see more pics during your progress :thumb:

16. lefoo

lefoo Member

Hey, just want to add this:
    this is the picture of a real Jackson:
    [​IMG]

and this is my project now(unfinished);
    [​IMG]

17. The Dali

The Dali Senior Member

Looks pretty good man!

18. GodofRandom

GodofRandom Junior Member

Hey man I was gonna order one of these. Can anyone tell me what the controls look like? And btw, it looks great, but you probably shouldn't have put "Jackson" there. That could end badly.

19. SlaytanicDude

SlaytanicDude Senior Member

He can't get in trouble for it legally since he's not building it to sell but for personal use. He could piss off the Jackson die-hards though.

20. GodofRandom

GodofRandom Junior Member

Yes, but still. I'm only saying, BE CAREFUL. Just don't do anything stupid is all I'm saying. Btw, is this a 2 knob or 4 knob control setup here?