Guitar DI Boxes

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by northernguitarguy, Dec 10, 2016.

1. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Howdy all! I think I'm getting some Long and McQuade money to spend for a Christmas and I want to pick up a guitar DI box. I was looking at the Radial JDX Direct Drive, but I think the Hughes and Kettner RedBox will be a better choice. It has different cab settings, but can also be used to record my tube amps directly to my macbook.

Any experience with one? There's also the Behringer GI 100 that would be cheaper, but doesn't offer a combo amp sim like the H&K.

I'm not prepared to break the bank, so these look like good choices for me. I may add in a SansAmp GT2 pedal, as they can be had quite cheaply on the used market. Any tips are appreciated.

2. nitrodave08

nitrodave08 Senior Member

shoot that was weird

3. northernguitarguy

Ouch, Dave. Sorry to hear that. Beautiful guitars you have there, enjoy them as best you can. :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2017
  4. nitrodave08

Sorry about the post here, I had multiple windows open and I thought I was on a different thread

5. nitrodave08

What I was saving for this thread was that the Digitech Bad Monkey has a DI out that can be used. You can usually find them for $30 or so. I would be a cheap start, and IMO a damn nice pedal

6. northernguitarguy

No worries! Nice to know ya!

I have a Bad Monkey, it's my main OD. Awesome pedal, great minds think alike. I have tried the direct out from the monkey for headphones. Good start, but I'd like to get some depth from some cab simulation. I just found a cheap used Red BOx Classic on kijiji, might be the start of this experiment. :thumb:

7. nitrodave08

Along another line, I had a Peavey VYPYR VIP 2 modeling amp. It had USB out that was pretty true to the sound out of the speaker. For practice and live it suks! To change the settings, a proprietary pedalboard is needed. But for recording it is pretty nice. I have seen them as low as $120 used.

Here are my Youtubes demos. I used the video recorder for the sound so it sounds tinnier than it was live.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtOdvs4AXG4K7akBZgzxrDw/videos?sort=dd&shelf_id=0&view=0

8. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

What is it exactly that you are looking to achieve with this setup?
    I ask because when I think guitar DI I think running the dry sound coming directly from my guitar into my daw for re amping purposes.

But It almost sounds like you are looking for a way to run a pedal and or your amp into it, and then running cab sims to simulate a mic'ed amp but at controllable volumes.
    Am I correct?

If this is correct, you should consider an IR loader in your DAW to handle the cab simulation, it gets a much better tone, and sounds much more like a mic'ed cab then some of the built in cab sims of most devices, which are nothing more than EQ curves to simulate the speaker type it is shooting for. If you have an attenuator with Direct out function you could run your amp into your macbook with that, and then use an IR loader.

Of course if this is not what you are looking to do, then just forget everything I just said.:laugh2:

9. northernguitarguy

Thanks for the reply!

Early gift came in last evening from my good ol' uncle and I pulled the trigger on the new H&K Red Box. Huge love for the RB all over the web. I think this will do more than I was looking for. It will be a good cab sim for the SansAmp GT2 pedal I'm looking at. These two running into a Peavey PV6 will form the basis of a headphone amp. But beyond that the Red Box is also a DI for amp recording without the need for amp mic'ing. This will be handy for my live setup and for recording my amps to Garageband on my my macbook (through a Presonus interface). As much as I wanted to support Radial with a purchase, this added feature (and the lower price) makes for a much more attractive purchase. :thumb:

10. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

Just as a suggestion, I would give a serious look to some of the free IR loaders out there, they would act as a plug in in garage band, (I think, I don't use garage band, so I am just assuming it supports plugins) and that will open up a huge scope of cab IR's you would have at your disposal.

11. northernguitarguy

Sweet! I had to google what you were talking about, but they do look pretty cool. When I get to that stage, I may try to tap your knowledge about these, please and thanks. :thumb: