Guitar Center Debt Default Emminent

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by flashbak, Dec 6, 2017.

1. HearHear

HearHear Senior Member

Sign of the times. Between I-phones, video games and the internet, what kid wants to waste half their free time practicing guitar chords?

Consider this: The Guitar Center started life as the "Organ Center" back in the 1950's. Makes sense, right? Then in 1971, during the golden era of rock, it transformed into the "Guitar Center". Again, makes sense, right? Now the golden era of rock is long over, and Guitar Center wasn't savvy enough to transform again into something more appropriate for the times. Maybe they should have transformed into "Modern Music Center" or "Instrument-Mart" or "I-Play Instruments" or something more up to date like that. The guitar hero was laid to rest long ago with the cowboy hero before him. Guitar Center should have picked up on that about 20 years ago.

2. defcrew

defcrew Senior Member

They could go back to Organ Center.

Bill Hicklin likes this.
  3. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

Very sad to say, but I think you're spot on :(

4. jdto

jdto Pretend Human Premium Member

It's even spelled correctly right there in the title of the video you posted. And the I key is nowhere close to the E key...

5. Dave_W

Dave_W Senior Member

Yes, I remember. $1000 MSRP guitars that Mars had at $600 were jacked back up to list price by the liquidator, then discounted 10% and progressively higher. People who didn't know better stood in line to pay higher prices!

6. fry

fry Senior Member

Isn’t Carvin doing the same thing currently? Their closeout prices are higher than their prices were before. I can’t believe anybody would fall for it.

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  7. fleahead

fleahead Senior Member

I went to the Arlington Hts (Chicago NW) GC today and was rather taken aback. The entire two facing walls that was strings, parts & accessories was gone, replaced by sound proofed rooms for lessons, strings were on a two faced kiosk, parts on a small wall behind the "repair" guy. Pedals were almost non-existent. Does NOT look like it will survive much longer - gone by Summer I'm going to wager.

8. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

This is how a purchasing call with GC works:

GC: (riiiiiing) Hello, manufacturer? We need XXX,495 units of your new Product Y, and we need them by June 1st and at a cost of $X,195/each.

Manufacturer: Are you out of your mind? That's less money and time than it takes to just make them, much less turn a profit!

GC: That's nice, dear. We provide 2/3rds of your sales though our companies, distribution, and advertising. If you'd like your company to exist next year, so you guys can feed your families, we'll see those Product Y's on our shipping docks by June 1st. If they are late, we pay 20% less. (Click)

Manufacturer: (riiiiiing) Hello, R&D Manager? Sharpen your scissors. We've got to cut corners all over the damn place or we're doomed!

winexprt likes this.
  9. Dun Ringill

Dun Ringill Premium Member

10. fleahead

fleahead Senior Member

I'm not sure that's true anymore. With suppliers now wary of the deep doo-doo they're in, they're limiting exposure. They (GC) used to pull that crap on us all the time and we'd have furious sights with our Nat'l Sales Mgr over it time and time again.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  11. Bill Hicklin

Bill Hicklin Senior Member

These days, the manufacturer's rep would be saying "We aren't sending you diddly until your check clears."

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  12. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

Used to cruise up to RC in ATL too...

Deals from hell on anything...

I think George's (if I rem correctly) thing was 'sell it to em for some price.'

I went up to buy a KB some years back.... Talked to Scott (?) in keys as my bud was out for the day.... I went there to buy the then new badass Ensoniq synth. He said I didn't want that because of service issues. He said you need a Yamaha SY... The SY was 2k. I told him Ihad 1400 cash in pocket. Period. He said hang on. Went in the back, came up with a new in sealed box. He said 'you need a Yama sustain pedal and snagged one. Oh a stand...dbl X brace.... Oh and cables.... Tossed several cables on the pile.... We went over to the register, picked up a calculator and started punching at random.... "Damn. That's amazing. It came to 1400 OTD exactly." "Pull back to the dock and I'll load all this shit for you. " Folks in here that remember the marks on keys and such back then can do the math. They 'washed' at best on the deal. They didn't care... They moved product. LOts of product....

I'd order some JBL drivers for fronts from up there and it was like Crimmus... There were always cables and such in the boxes too...

They had it going on...

Whenever I was in Tampa area back then I'd go to OLD T-bred.... They moved hell out product beyond belief at times...

Both gone now.... Damnit... It was fun to go to those shops...

13. Caleb

Caleb Senior Member

Any day now. Any. Day.

Fiat Lux likes this.
  14. defcrew

defcrew Senior Member

It kind of was. If you went in there and didn't buy something and were heading out someone would yell, "Door!" and you'd get intercepted. A guy would start pulling guitars in cases and laying them on the ground making offers. I bought my old black Tele there.
    SAM_1562.JPG

cherrysunburst00 and ehb like this.
  15. Dilemma

Dilemma Loud Pipes Ruin Naps Premium Member

All this high finance talk is making my head swim. Sadly I don’t understand a word of it, I weld pipe for a living.

Turn me up 5.

cherrysunburst00 and bungle like this.
  16. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

Some manu's seem happy to put most of their eggs in one basket. (GC/MF/123/Ww&Bw)....
    Could be pretty bad if the bottom falls out of the basket....
    Lots of product will pile up with nowhere to go...

I remember the good old days when the manu/jobber reps would drop by the shop to see if you needed anything, sometimes buy lunch, etc... They could find anything you needed...and work with you on any issue... I also remember waaaaay back a guy bringing his trans blue dbl cut guitar he built in the shop to show us... I remember asking him what the three letters on the truss rod cover stood for... Super nice guy...

Now? Well, haven't actually seen a rep in person in a long time... They might be out there....they might not... Who can say... They are elusive... Maybe extinct...

Just a voice on a phone....... which is probably just Watson...

Check this out and just scroll the headings...scary... :
    http://mashable.com/category/ibm-watson/

Uh huh.... I'm on to em... They are gonna have bad situation on that ass before they know it...
    Ain't never turned out well and never will....

[​IMG]

17. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

That was the case sometimes, sure. But then you have an outfit like Strait Music here in Austin, family-owned, two storefronts, and successful enough to be a Gibson dealer. Of course, they're not the only game in town, and I suspect that has a lot to do with it ... if you want to thrive in a guitar town like this, you'd better bring your A-game.

18. pnuggett

pnuggett Senior Member

19. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

You can buy Gibson guitars on Amazon Prime all day long. I don't see the problem for those that buy new.

20. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

Wow that's sad to hear, I spent allot of time in that store in my younger gigging days. Knew the sales manager well and he always gave me killer pricing.