Guitar Center Debt Default Emminent

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by flashbak, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Dave_W

Dave_W Senior Member

This guy is just another Guitar Center Doomsday Douche spouting off on YT. I'm guessing he's not an economics or business major.

GC has been going out of business any day now ever since it was first taken private in 2007. Could happen, but I'll believe it when I see it.

2. LeftyF2003

LeftyF2003 Premium Member

My local GC is actually pretty good and they've taken good care of me over the years, but as a company I'm not a fan. They've run a lot of "real" mom and pop music stores out of business, and most of them have staff that barely know what a guitar is.

RIP Guitar Denter...

(PS - yes, they've always been in the crapper financially, but they've never been this low on the S&P - for once I think they may actually not be able to dig out without a big influx of capitol)

3. redcoats1976

redcoats1976 Senior Member

meh...ive got plenty of guitars and buy my strings from the local mom and pop store.

4. strat1701

strat1701 El Diablo Cazador De Hombres Premium Member

Fuck man bring it on! I remember when MARS went belly up and they had firesale pricing....I had been eyeing an EC sig strat (the early ones...) and it was marked down to like 700 bucks (at the time in late 90's cash that was an $1800 guitar). I just didn't have it at the time or else it would have been mine. So when GC implodes there will be lots of decent gear at firesale pricing, which now I can take advantage of!

I was in rather good at my local GC, but after my two go to guys in the platinum room left I knew it was only time. They brought it on themselves.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  5. LPMarshall Hack

LPMarshall Hack Senior Member

I like my local GCs and hope they never go out of business.

6. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

I'm doubting they've had access to much of any kind of decent financing for a while now anyway. It probably does mean that have to dig themselves out without help, but I doubt it's much different than it's been for a while. Will they make it? Probably not. Are they any closer to crashing than they were last week? Probably not.

7. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

They've been downsizing for a while. They've sure been reducing the COGS by migrating to more affordable brands, to -- which impacts margins. This is also a sign, because successful companies, especially in retail, move upmarket, not downmarket.

If and when they go tits-up, I'll be waiting at the door too. I hope they don't take Gibson down with them.

NJDevil likes this.
  8. MikeyTheCat

MikeyTheCat Senior Member

I did notice Sam Ash having more Gibsons than I've seen in years, even to the point that Trads were on stands on the floor.

9. THDNUT

THDNUT Senior Member

"So when GC implodes there will be lots of decent gear at firesale pricing, which now I can take advantage of."

:hmm: Well maybe I can pick up a Martin D-100 for $40,000 or so. :applause:

10. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

idiots. all they had to do to save the company was make slash their global ambassador.

Donal, ehb and rockstar232007 like this.
  11. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Mr. Pickles loves you. MWAH! ♥ Premium Member

The way Gibson bullies customer stocking pricing, I'm quite amazed they've lasted as long as they have. There's zero hope for brick and mortar.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017 at 7:10 PM
  12. Dick Banks

Dick Banks Senior Member

People that started digging GC's grave are no doubt in China about now...
    Why is GC a bad store? They will ship in any Guitar you want, return within 30 days for full refund.

13. Bill Hicklin

Bill Hicklin Senior Member

Go on any gun board and check out the threads on Colt and Smith & Wesson.

14. Side Burns

Side Burns Senior Member

Record companies, Gibson, Guitar Cemter......

Maybe this is all just a paradigm shift away from "analog" music.

15. Mowgli5555

Mowgli5555 Senior Member

Guitar Center isn't the devil or anything where I live. However, "we can order that in for you" has the the name of the game, more and more frequently over the years.
    Recently I went in to buy a guitar. It wasn't in stock, so I ended up buying elsewhere online. Even for less cash in the end.

Anyone can order anything online, I go to Guitar Center to get what is needed, on the spot.
    This has not been fulfilled during my last 4 visits, and it just leaves a brown stain all over the store name. Josh

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  16. pnuggett

pnuggett Senior Member

I get all my news from YouTube.

17. jeff_farkas

jeff_farkas Senior Member

Went the other day to get strings.

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  18. defcrew

defcrew Senior Member

I guess I understand the GC, Wall-Mart, etc., hate but I am old enough to remember when Mom and Pop ran all the music stores. Wanna talk about a rip off you should have tried to do biz w those only game in town folks. I've really found the on line folks such as MF to be pretty darn fair. I guess I'm the Devil's Advocate.

19. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

In my experience, this was the case with 3 stores--the 3rd used to be Great, until jr took it over. At that point I quit going

But not at all the case with my Orange dealer. This Ma & Pop place is the absolute best. If they sell what I want, I always buy there. Been that way since 1981. Nice discounts too.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  20. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Senior Member

Yeah. Them ordering it "for you" ends up being way more work for you. Same with the whole "Ship to the store" option on most store websites. Why? I'm online so I don't have to go to the store!