[Guide/Build Log] Epiphone LP Modifications

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by TehAndrewRyan, Sep 8, 2012.

1. goldtop56

goldtop56 Senior Member

:shock:damn it you did it again!!!:shock: thats it no more!!!! lol:laugh2:

2. goldtop56

goldtop56 Senior Member

have never seen an indonesian epi serial number........ i learn something new every day on here

thank you

3. Barcham

Barcham Elitist Club Member

Well the post was up there for 20 minutes before I came along. What can I say?

I was slow but you guys were slower!

:rock:

2 people like this.
  4. TehAndrewRyan

TehAndrewRyan Member

Oh amazing :)

What's with the last 5 digits, is that guitar #296 made... last year? Or is the production number just random?

5. BryanMichael

BryanMichael Member

Thanks for changing the information about the maple cap. There is SO much bad information on the internet, my first reaction when reading your thread was "Here is someone else that doesn't know what he's talking about." And of course, by confirming that you "read somewhere" doesn't help. I thought you were providing evidence based on a pickup change or something, but I see that it was all pure speculation, which makes sense.

In your defense, Epis have been made of a variety of materials and seem to have inconsistent construction and or quality over the past several decades, so it's always a bit hit and miss...

1 person likes this.
  6. CycleDude

CycleDude Senior Member

This statement always kinda digs at me a bit, because it's a load of BS. I know what YOU mean, but just as an anecdote...

Les Paul made many of his prototypes after hours and on weekends in the Epiphone factory, when it was in NY City. An Epiphone Les Paul is every bit a "real" Les Paul, as a Gibson... and to qualify that statement, those words come from the mouth of Les Paul and his son, Russ, personally.

Russ is a great guy. I've photographed a few gigs for him, and also the Les Paul trio. One day, I was shooting some autographed guitars for a museum exhibit in NJ for Les. I jokingly said to my daughter who was assisting me that day that someone took a sharpie marker and vandalized a guitar and to get the writing off. :wow:

I thought the museum manager was gonna pee himself. I've known him since I was a boy and never saw a man run that fast... ROFL!
    :lol:

7. TehAndrewRyan

TehAndrewRyan Member

I never said that Gibsons are "the real Les Pauls" and that Epiphones just are copies, I just stated that a lot of people I've seen refer to Gibsons as the "real" Les Pauls.

8. CycleDude

CycleDude Senior Member

I know that, dude. I didn't say you did. I know what YOU meant. :thumb:

9. CharlyG

CharlyG Member

i just picked up a set of Seth Lovers for my "Miss Pearl". They are in an Agile 2500 LP copy. The guitar is black, the Seths were chrome, so they pitched the covers and I have a set of Zebra Seths. Since they had a cover, there is no "label". My Epi pups are chrome so they won't go in the Agile. I'll have to find a set of gold pups so I can resell the Agile. The guitar with Seths was $160 so I don't have to get much out of the guitar! Gonna do the pup swap later this eve, I suppose.

10. Barcham

That was a great deal you got yourself there. I have a set of Seths in my Elitist and I absolutely love them! Let us know what you think of them once you get them set up.

11. CharlyG

CharlyG Member

I got the Seths installed and they sound GREAT! Probably the best sounding pups I have owned... I only have two things left to do....... an Earvana nut, and a TonePro bridge/tailpiece. I( well the tech, I got lazy and my local GC tech did the soldering) upgraded the caps as well, btw.

No one will believe me, but there was a hint of some "Dumbleness" with the Renegade cranked.. and that did not happen with the original pups and caps. I gotta take a new pic today with the zebras.....

12. qpHalcy0n

qpHalcy0n Senior Member

Actually, this is incorrect. Your LP Standard is completely Mahogany. I have one of the same year. As I've said, unless it EXPLICITLY STATES "Hard maple top", it does not have one. My standard is Mahogany all the way through, and is VERY evident when you look in the pickup cavity.

The ones in current production that DO are the Tributes and some of the signature models, such as the Slash, Budo, and Bonamassa.

This is okay by me. I wouldn't place a hell of a lot of stock in this.

13. CharlyG

CharlyG Member

Here's an updated pic with the zebra Seth Lovers. PS - I LOATHE these knobs. I may go chrome!

[​IMG]

14. TehAndrewRyan

TehAndrewRyan Member

And this is pretty much my point. Everyone has different sayings about this, and it's hard to be sure which statement actually is correct. I do actually think that your statement, as well as my first one, is correct. Why else would Epiphones have a darker tone than Gibsons?

15. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

Because of the pups........:wave:

16. TehAndrewRyan

TehAndrewRyan Member

If that was the only reason, why would Gibsons be like at least 4 times the price of an Epiphone, when they only have better electronics? Yes, I know Gibsons cost a lot because of that grey text on the headstock saying "Gibson", but still. If the wood didn't make any difference, why buy such an expensive guitar?

17. CharlyG

CharlyG Member

I would guess in the USA, labor has a higher cost than the materials, altho Asian material(wood) is cheaper as well, as it is sourced in Asia. And some of that USA labor could be related(family sense) to the labor in Asia. So I wouldn't go so far as it is just the name on the headstock. I firmly believe, if I gave the exact same materials to the Epi guys as the Gibson guys get, I would like the Epi better.

PS - I also happen to prefer the Epi headstock to the Gibson one(too plain, like Martin)

18. TehAndrewRyan

TehAndrewRyan Member

I guess you're right.

I kinda like the shape of the headstock, I for some reason just don't like the fact that the tuning machines get closer as they go higher up on the headstock, I like the way Gibson did it more. Apart from that the Epi headstock has a pretty cool design.

19. Marshall Junkie

Marshall Junkie Junior Member

This might be a little beyond the scope of the original OP but has anyone had their fretboard changed?

I recently bought a 97 Epi that is looking very worn now I've got into it. Frets I know can be replaced but is it common to change the fretboard out to either mod or replace a worn/poorly looked after fretboard?

Any help, stories or advice much appreciated!

Cheers

20. Barcham

I'd think that changing a fret board would be an expensive proposition.

1 person likes this.