[Guide/Build Log] Epiphone LP Modifications

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by TehAndrewRyan, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Zenzeypher

Zenzeypher Senior Member

when you removed the pickup covers, did you happen to screw the pole pieces flush with the bobbin?

It's a silly question but most people I know don't and unintentionally have them much closer to the bridge due to raising the bobbin to match the previous cover height, hence pole ends closer to the strings, brighter tone?!... but from what I can tell you've radius your pole pieces.

It's a good little article, whilst I don't agree with some of your findings - it's a mute point as you do and it's your guitar.

I love upgrading Epi electronics a full rewire usually takes me an hour to 2 depending if I'm doing the switch and pups or not...I'm slow and methodical haha, I do find epi pots to be hit and miss, some with nice roll off, others not so much.

And you're correct I believe in the assumption that the nut/frets should come nice from factory but with mass production things get sacrificed right?

Also I'm in the camp that wood has little to none tone value on the guitar at all...however Epi tone wood is a wide subject of conversation - but I was led to believe even tho they have a flame veneer they certainly have a maple cap of sorts..

I would avoid the whole presenting opinions as facts thing, so many varied views in here..

2. TehAndrewRyan

TehAndrewRyan Member

Why continuing on that question, we've all come to the conclusion that it's subjective and that I was one of them being able to hear it?

I don't have pictures of the cavity before soldering the new caps, no. Also, why do you need a picture of the back of the headstock?

3. Barcham

Barcham Elitist Club Member

Yes, they do have a maple cap covered with a veneer. I do not know what the OP thinks is under the veneer, but yes, it's a maple cap.

And as a side note...not to disparage the OP in any way for starting this thread...but we already have an amazing thread, it's a sticky in fact, that covers pretty much everything you might ever need to know about getting your favourite Epi to play at it's best. Some people may overlook it due to the title, thinking it only applies to Customs, but it applies to all Epis and there's lots of great info in there that everyone should read and refer to.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/epiphone-les-pauls/14714-complete-epi-custom-setup.html

2 people like this.
  4. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

Congrats on your ears....

With what amp have you been able to hear it ?

I just like to see pics of guitars..........:naughty:

5. TehAndrewRyan

TehAndrewRyan Member

I do know of that thread, and that was part of why I did the scraping of the fretboard and such. I titled this thread "Guide/BUILD LOG" because I wanted to share the procedure with people wondering.

6. Barcham

Don't get me wrong, I love the thread. I love all threads that show people taking the time to get their guitar to where they want it to be. If any of them encourage any of us to take the leap into some DIY work, it's a plus for everyone. More information is always a good thing and seeing how people do their own work is always a pleasure.

Great pics by the way! :thumb:

7. msvsdoj

msvsdoj Senior Member

I haven't tested this and really don't gaf either way, but Sweetwater said they recorded the guitar before they removed the covers for reference. Does that settle it or no?

Here's the link that I copy/pasted from if you guys were interested.

http://www.sweetwater.com/expert-center/techtips/d--02/01/2006

8. TehAndrewRyan

TehAndrewRyan Member

Changed the info in the topic. I for some reason remember reading somewhere that they just used a veneer on top of the "mahogany" body.

9. paruwi

OK, since you can't or wont answer my questions regarding the amp.......

I'll try a new question....

Where did you buy this guitar ?

and a pic of the backside of the headstock would still be nice....

so please would you be so kind and show it ?

I'm not interested in the last four digits....so don't worry

10. Jack Ice

Jack Ice Senior Member

Thanks for the useful thread. I couldn't read everything yet since I'm in rush now, but I will defly sit down to it this evening. Great job!

11. TehAndrewRyan

TehAndrewRyan Member

I'm using a VOX VT40+ as my main amp at the moment. I bought the guitar new at a local music shop here in Sweden, and here's the back of the headstock

[​IMG]

12. paruwi

Thanks !

13. goldtop56

goldtop56 Senior Member

is it me or does the serial number look........ odd, i have compared it to my epis and the numbers just dont look the same, have epiphone changed the font or size of the s/n????:hmm:

14. goldtop56

goldtop56 Senior Member

so when they removed the strings and replaced them did they use the same strings?? surely replacing the old strings with brand new ones would make the sound brighter???

15. paruwi

the serial# is fine !

16. goldtop56

goldtop56 Senior Member

so have epi changede the font or size of font my are both korean so that could be it i guess. just looked odd to me thats all lol

17. TehAndrewRyan

TehAndrewRyan Member

I don't know how to read those serial numbers, where does it say my guitar is made?

18. Barcham

Your guitar was made in August 2011 in Indonesia with a production number of 00296. That is why the font looks different from MiC or MiK guitars - for whatever reason they use a different font there.

19. paruwi

all Indonesian made guitars do have this kind of font...

Your guitar was made Aug 2011 at the Samick Indonesia plant

Edit

should have typed faster..........

but still won by 1 minute to the next post ...
    :D

20. goldtop56

goldtop56 Senior Member

i believe the serial number is

first 2 digits = year
    next 2 = month
    next 2 = factory code
    and the rest of the digits are the number is what number it is off the production line

so if im right yours was made in indonesia (23) in august (08) 2011 (11) and was number 269 of the production line

i might be wrong but i think thats right :)