Guess What? It's good to record bass through an amp!

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by MikeyTheCat, Dec 6, 2017 at 10:49 PM.

1. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

I always take a DI off a bass guitar when recording or doing live sound. If the player's rig sounds good I will mic it as well. It's nice to have the option of blending the dirt from the miked speaker with the absolute clean clarity and unrestricted bottom end from a DI signal.
    Fender jazz basses....never a problem to make sound good. Fender P basses can sometimes be a bit tubby but still it's a very familiar sound to our ears.
    Mahogany body basses like some of the Gibsons however....MUD! So thick and muddy and boomy....rarely have good luck making them sound good.

parts and ehb like this.
  2. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

I prefer the low end of a Steinway grand tone. I can go any direction from there.

Studio bass way back was dead skrangs deadened by anything that would deaden the dead skrangs deader. Easier to record.

Edit: somebody would have thrown something at em playing live... For beating a big cardboard box...

redjunior likes this.
  3. DarrellV

DarrellV Likes > Posts Silver Supporter Premium Member

Yes! Piano toanez! I love them!

I also like to put a little snarl on the edge for grab with a round deep bottom that seems hollow in the middle for lack of a better way to describe it.

No mud, just a deep almost invisible clean deep bottom with a snarl in the mids to let you know when she speaks. Bliss!!!!

Like this!

I can get these toanez on my Ampeg/SWR Goliath 4 ten! Nirvana!

This is why I prefer to record out of my amps DI instead of a discreet one.

My bass has active EQ and I have destroyed several amps with it in the past. No kidding!

So one of the problems for me going straight in is the lack of tone shaping needed for the best tone before it hits the console.

Who said bass doesn't have tone and can't add to or drive the song!
    Too bad its youtube.. it doesn't do this tone true justice, but you get the idea.

ehb likes this.
  4. ehb

As Freddy said, a Jazz is easy with good skrangs. I usually have nuttin really to do with that strip. P is close with good skrangs.
    Sometimes though, somebody will pull out a mudpuppy from hell that ain't really sure what the knobs do... Especially on their amp... Dogshit would be an improvement...

I have gone onstage and adjusted knobs.... and carried duct tape. :squint:

redjunior likes this.
  5. ehb

If you feed the Slider Munky a full rich signal, it makes his job much easier.

No matter how good he is, there is a limit to polishing a turd.

Most have appreciated help with their rig tone when approached from angle of 'I'm trying to make you sound like god out front but have to get me a better signal to work with.'

Some built in XLR outs sound good. Some don't. Just is.

redjunior and DarrellV like this.
  6. DarrellV

OMG! Yes! Been there, done that, and even used that same phrase.... LOL!

That's why I love this place.

I'm not the only one going through this particular corner of hell!

Most folks in the crowd don't know, don't care, or can't hear any difference anyway.... so this has always seemed like a private hell to me.

Even my wife argues sometimes that I'm just too fussy and not to worry about it. But I hear it.... and it can drive me crazy or ruin an otherwise would have been perfect performance.

redjunior likes this.
  7. DarrellV

Then I got lucky getting one that sounds just like the amp coming out the back!

redjunior likes this.
  8. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

From Metallica onward huh? That's a pretty big broad range there. Kinda sounds like a " these damn kids today don't know what God music is" there have been a ton of high gain times that are phenomenal since Metallica. High gain can be just as tonal as that low gain woman tone is. Just in a different way. Most of the great shredders of the 80's had killer modded Marshall tones. But I guess if low gain is your thing than it's all going to sounds like "those kids and their damn noise"

DarrellV likes this.
  9. DarrellV

I knew I was going to catch somebody with that comment! LOL!

Its just meant as a broad statement for a type of distortion that seemed to come about around the time that reminds me of the triple rectifiers and treadplate amps.

I was working in an amp and PA production facility at the time and I remember hearing that it was a 'then' new technique using zenor diodes to clip with instead of gain stages.

The pros can correct me on this, it was a long time ago, so Metallica being one of the foremost groups as I recall having that heavy sludgy crunch, I used them as an example.

I love a Marshall as much as the next guy. RUSH doesn't play everything clean or quiet, for example so let's not be silly...:laugh2:

It wasn't meant as a flame war ignitor, just a reference point to something I was trying to illustrate. That from around that point forward High gain has gone increasingly skyward.

You said so yourself.

I am by no means against anything distorted. There are tuneful types of distortion. These 2 below are NOT what I am describing in my post. I like these!

And before anyone mentions Tina S she was a follower of this guy and he provided the backing track for her version of this song.

redjunior likes this.
  10. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

On my bench at this very moment is a ricky that I'm converting into a replica of Lemmy's 'Born to Lose Out to Lunch Rickenbastard' bass.

Now there was a guy that ran his bass into some seriously driven guitar amps way before Metallica!

P1070182.JPG

11. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

When I last gigged bass, about 7 years ago, I changed strings fairly regularly, and ran a DI to the board for my main sound. I used my 200w Peavey1x15 for on-stage monitoring and for some grit on the couple of songs we did that could use it.

redjunior likes this.
  12. ehb

Legend Amps out of Syracuse way back had an option for a 57 element built in the cab. Great idea. Great amps. I wish my oak and cane front Legend A30 had that. Love that amp.​

redjunior likes this.
  13. ehb

Another buy that Gib ran into the ground...

redjunior likes this.
  14. Alligatorbling

Alligatorbling ★AstroCat★ Premium Member V.I.P. Member MLP Vendor

I ran the bass directly into the multi tracker for this rerecording with on board effects (i used a zoom R16 multi tracker)

I did some trickery to make the bass sound more like a guitar.

https://soundcloud.com/astrobling/space-ride

redjunior likes this.
  15. DarrellV

Bosendorfer! Go where no man has gone before!

Extends the bass beyond the range of mere mortal pianos, and even if you aren't using them, the sympathetic vibrations from those power cable bass strings fill in the bottom end like you've never heard!

[​IMG]

An amazing pianist, Valentina Lisitsa turned me on to them. She plays some Liszt on one and it'll bring tears to you eyes...

redjunior likes this.
  16. ehb

Way back when I was sound eng for theatre productions at university, in one of the big piano storage cabs just off stage, late night, I would wheel out an ancient Baldwin grand to center stage and play for a couple hours by myself. Loved it over the Steins there....

DarrellV and redjunior like this.
  17. ehb

Cain's Fazioli makes me moist...

redjunior likes this.
  18. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

prove me wrong :dunno: