Guess What? It's good to record bass through an amp!

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by MikeyTheCat, Dec 6, 2017.

1. MikeyTheCat

MikeyTheCat Senior Member

Who wudda thunk it? This is really a radical move in the world of recording! I can't believe nobody thought of this before.

Our old friend The Fynn makes a guest appearance.

kiko and Malikon like this.
  2. DarrellV

DarrellV Likes > Posts Silver Supporter Premium Member

Maybe not in the mainstream, but as a Rick player I used to run the split pickup thing through 2 amps and usually ran my treble pup through my guitar amp.

3 reasons.

I couldn't afford another bass amp nor lug it around.

I already had a guitar amp

and I could dial in some extra crunch on the top end ala Chris Squire or Geddy Lee if I wanted to....:dude:

Even now I like to plug into my SVT and pick the signal up off the back of the head to feed into my recording.

It still adds the amp characteristics to the signal making it sound better than dry into the track...:thumb:

Looks like this is along those lines, only MORE so! :shock:

parts and redjunior like this.
  3. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

But every book about music production that I read in the 1980's said it was ok to run a bass directly into the console?

rabidhamster and DarrellV like this.
  4. DarrellV

Yup! They still do and I had to at a studio a while back. had to try to play along with the tracks through his little monitors at moderate to low volume.
    darrell.jpg
    Man! Talk about not being able to get your groove on! I couldn't hear or feel a thing since he had me listening at mix level behind everything else.

Did the best I could but I might as well have been playing to the air unplugged for what I got to hear.

If you haven't played bass I guess its tough to know how anethma that is to generating a meaningful bass line

I can add some SVT mojo to my track in the box too, but on my bass head I have an XLR out with volume and pre or post selection, so why not?

I get to hear it through my favorite rig and pick up a clean un-mic'ed signal.

Les was a big fan of going straight into the console too!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  5. I Break Things

I Break Things Senior Member

I'll go ahead and say it, bass players are underappreciated. Even though the bass isn't in your face like the guitar, they add a lot to the song. Plus, some guys can do some incredible things and really fill in the song and add some cool layers.

DarrellV likes this.
  6. MikeyTheCat

I agree, a good bass player will add drive, and also can add movement to a progression. I think the studio has gotten away from what made a great song's arrangement work and gotten too much into perfection and control.
    I didn't know that most guys were recording bass direct these days but I'm from the days when most Studios had a B15 Flip Top somewhere.
    It's kind of like how I feel about reamping, yes it's nice to find the right amp for a part after it's done, but I always felt that what came out of the amp inspired the playing.

DarrellV and redjunior like this.
  7. parts

parts Senior Member

Always in the studio mixed wet and dry for both bass and guitars..
    "We'll get it in the mix"

8. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

99% of bass players have sh*tty tone regardless of the gear they use.

9. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Premium Member

I guess I'm a bit old school too.... Ain't nothing much better sounding than an old ass Ampeg flip top turnt up.... (not the fluttering flappy dogshit sounding new ones)

I'll let y'all in on a little secret... I break in any new tube amp I get with one of my five string basses... (I play bright round wound skrangs)

Slaps dat paper cone with all kinds of freqs to limber it up.... Doesn't have to be loud.... When I buy a new tube amp, I'll use it as a practice bass amp for a while...Still play guitar through it, but a LOT of bass guitar... Breaks in the speaker very well....

10. MikeyTheCat

But why is that sk8? Anyway to my ears most modern guitar players also have lousy tone, if they have any.

DarrellV likes this.
  11. ehb

Some have no tonez. None. Zero. Not nary one....

Many of em play dead ass flats older than my truck...and love the 'tone'....

What tone? Tone like hitting a big cardboard box with a stick?

You can cut back on the too much but you can't boost the ain't there.
    tao of edro

12. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

Droppin' knowledge with all the experience of a 20yr old :thumb:

DarrellV likes this.
  13. truckermde

truckermde Senior Member

you should know better

DarrellV likes this.
  14. ehb

I do know better and I'm not 20.

15. DarrellV

He could be referring to one of these...
    With Flatwounds!....
    Thick as mud for days!
    Edro brought this up a while back in another discussion on Gibson basses.

Could be why Gibson basses have never been as popular as others .
    Toanez!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

redjunior likes this.
  16. DarrellV

I have heard it live, and on some famous recordings where you think they could have done better.

Now James Jamerson?!! The guy who defined what an electric bass could do was said to have never changed his strings.

He thought the build up of funk on the strings added to the mojo and was afraid of losing the magic if he changed them...

Anyone who has ever heard the likes of The Spinners, or The 4 Tops or countless other hits would have to agree.

17. DarrellV

+1:thumb:

I am old school so you can call me biased. It's ok.
    But since Metalica onward that distorted chugging clipping chainsaw noise they use into today is the complete opposite of tone. In fact, to my ears, it is the exact opposite on purpose. It is completely devoid of all harmonic or melodic overtones, has no beauty or natural resonance, and is basically the same as running a square wave generator into a loud amp that further ruins and crushes the waveform to beyond recognizable.

This seems to be the point and the whole purpose...

redjunior likes this.
  18. DarrellV

Thank you! You have described what a good bass player should do for a song. Not all of them do....Many just follow the root on one end, and others go off the wall artistic playing off the chord centers and beyond because they can.

Some pull it off well.. Others are hard to listen to.
    To me, again, somebody like James Jamerson or Carol Kay are two examples of the complete bass player. It takes more than just the instrument and the ability to play.

It takes an instinct, a gut sense of what sounds the best for a song, and then to not over play it or under state it.
    It's what I refer to as tasteful playing...

+1:thumb: See above!

Yup! Had to try that running live sound a few times.

Guy had an EB-0 knockoff as a matter of fact and I tried to boost some clarity and thin the mud.

The only thing I could get out of that thing for treble was a click or pop when he hit the strings or when they rattled. Nothing else.

It just wasn't there. So mud it was... with an annoying click!:Ohno:

redjunior, I Break Things and ehb like this.
  19. DarrellV

I've done this!

I used to work for an amp and PA company years ago and handled many a new loudspeaker out of the box.

They are the stiffest, rigid, unyielding things you ever want to handle out of the box.

As long as you don't exceed the speaker's wattage rating and don't push it beyond it's excursion (travel) limit, you won't hurt it.

But you are flexing the spider and surround to limber them up by breaking down the fibers and glue just a little bit.

redjunior likes this.
  20. DarrellV

I don't know what they are using for gear, but in this day and age with so many good choices out there, there is no need for that.

There are many that could fall into the don't know, don't care camp.

Many more bands seemed to take the approach where the bass player was considered a necessary evil to the band, and relegated to second class citizen behind the guitar gods! :dude:

These guys come to mind, but are by no means the only ones. The fact that he doesn't feature in the majority of shots tells the story.
    Unless you are a fan, do you even know the bass player's name? Do they have one?

[​IMG]

So yeah, in some bands the bass is less important so it follows that consideration for bass tone can't be far behind.

And don't even get me started on the bass player jokes!