GSG 5 or AR 15?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by bildozr, Dec 30, 2009.

1. bildozr

bildozr Deliberately Obtuse V.I.P. Member

My 18th birthday is coming up, and I'm deciding what to gift myself. I can't consider myself a republican unless I own some sort of Gun, that will in time be modded to all ends of the earth.

I can't decide which. I love the compactness and all the ways you can customize an MP5, but then again the AR15 is just awesome, and is so customizable.

So until I can get a license to modify a lower receiver, it will be a semi auto.
    Any thoughts?

2. C Squared

C Squared Senior Member

Parts and Options for the AR system are many and abundant.

Biggest bitch right now is ammo availability :rolleyes:

Both are great reliable weapons.

If you want the best bang for your buck, grab a Moisan Nagant while you're shopping. can be had for around $150 or less, ammo still plentiful, and if you grab a Model 38 or 44 you'll have a 4' flame shooting out of the barrel, grea for Independence Day :D

3. bildozr

Well my biggest concern is the Zombie apocalypse, so it's gotta have room for sights, and accessories...

Although until I get a real license, I'll have no stopping power.

9 mils are still decently plentiful around here, and that's what the stock GSG shoots, and well, a $100 kit for the AR 15 will give you a 9 mm conversion... I'm set on these two. I might just have to get both.

4. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

I'd suggest an M4 version of the AR15 - I currently have a M4 upper on a full stock AR15 lower. Detachable carry handle. It is a nice little rifle.

[​IMG]

5. C Squared

C Squared Senior Member

in well trained and practiced hands a semi will get a LOT of lead downrange in a hurry.

Not sure what the laws are in your state, in CT getting a full auto was a LOT of hassel and for most of guys wasn't worth it. I worked in a gunshop for about 6 years, sold 2 full autos in that time period. Many more silencers for class 3 stuff then anything else.

How much experience do you have with the weapons you're considering?

6. bildozr

That's a nice looking rifle. I'm gonna stick a red dot on whatever I get, as well as a foregrip.

If I go with the 15, The barrel would look something like this
    [​IMG]

7. bildozr

Besides Call Of Duty? :laugh2:
    Nothing really. I've only been shootin' a .22 and .12 guage shotguns.
    My friends got the AR 15, so I'll be shootin with him some.
    I'm signing up for classes.

We don't have strict gun laws at all. You have to have a concealed permit as expected, to carry.
    But for Semi Auto Assault weapons. I think you just have to have a regular license.

Class III for Fully Auto of course.

8. #1guitarman

#1guitarman Senior Member

A semi auto 9mm H&K MP5 will run you around $4,500-$5,500...Used...If you can find one..:shock:..I'd go with the AR-15, although there are several weapons of this style, in semi-auto, that shoot the .308 now...20 rnds of .308 is not something to sneeze at. I believe it'd work during the "Zombie Apocolypse"...but what do I know?..:hmm:..I'm just a redneck..:cool::laugh2:
    I think I'd be checkin' out the AKs if I were in the market...badass lil rascal, tough as 'gator hide, easy to convert, all kinds of upgrades, most @ half the price of an AR...Just sayin':thumb:

9. bildozr

GSG 5 is an MP5 Clone, and they run .22 stock, for $499, not bad at all. My Bad i thought I saw 9mm before.
    STORE.AR15.COM - AR15.Com Store

I was lookin at AK's. I'm trying to find a nice one. I'm into the "High Tech" look.

If I could Afford it my #1 choice would be the civilian FN SCAR.

10. #1guitarman

Dude, do a search, you are not gonna believe what some people have done with the AK-47...High Tech.? everything you can find for an AR, you can find for the AK, and IMHO, the AK is a more dependable shooter...I have used an AK in the past, as well as the .223 M16, 9mm CAR, .308 Stoner weapon system, and the H&K MP5, in both 9mm and .45...amongst about a jillion other different shooters. I find the AK, when equiped properly, to match or exceed the performance of the AR. And we put 'em to the test. Trust me on this...

11. DesertBurst

DesertBurst Senior Member

.22 is not an ideal choice for zombie apocalypse.... you will need some more punch.

12. bildozr

I trust you, are there replacements on the wood? I hate that look.

13. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Just my $.02 - but full auto and burst functions on a light rifle are absolutely worthless. In my military and law enforcement training, I can think of ONE time where I've ever used an auto or burst function on the M16/AR15 - and that was at Army Basic Combat Training - at one training lane - and it was only so that we "knew how to do it" (gotta hold the trigger down til all 3 shots fire). Accuracy is key with a light rifle - burst and auto functions are pretty much worthless.

Now, when I carried a M249 SAW, that was a different story. :naughty:

14. bildozr

I do suppose the AK would do quite nicely during a zombie apocalypse. I might need to kill everything in the room.

15. monkeyboy

monkeyboy Senior Member

I recently bought one of the cold M4 .22 Carbines for about $569. Awesome little gun that I can shoot allllll day long.

16. #1guitarman

You can go as High Tech. as you want, how about carbon fiber, with an enclosed pelican light, red dot cqb sight, fore grip, and folding stock...There are plenty of replacement stocks for the AK, from fully adjustable sniper type stocks, to lil folders...be as mean as ya wanna be...

17. b-squared

b-squared Banned

Here's my two...zombies, beware!

[​IMG]

My 'AK' is an SLR-95, with the add-ons. FN handguard, SAW grip, folding stock...:D

The Bushmaster (AR15) is all stock.

BB

18. Beerdog80

Beerdog80 Banned

AK's are fun (I've got one) but if your into shooting things at distance, they are not as accurate as properly set up AR-15 type weapons. However, you can toss an AK in a river, come back a week later, kick the bolt and it will still fire. :)

Here is a shot of my personal 'fun toy'

[​IMG]

19. b-squared

b-squared Banned

Actually, AKs can be very accurate. My SLR-95 is a forged receiver, not stamped like the standard ones...that makes it very accurate...and just a bit heavier. :D

20. Beerdog80

Beerdog80 Banned

A M249 will fix your zombie problems rather efficiently. :thumb:

And I completely agree with your post brother. I NEVER use the burst/full auto on my GAU. Pointless IMO. I'm all about making the shots count instead of just tossing lead around.