Grover Question

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by Danomyte, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Danomyte

Danomyte Senior Member

Quick question y'all--

I'm thinking about changing out the Grovers on my 2010 Trad (from chrome to gold, like Jimmy Page, obviously)

Is this the right set? Do they come in different sizes that I need to worry about?

https://reverb.com/p/grover-102g-rotomatic-guitar-tuning-machines-3x3

Thanks!

2. JeffH66

JeffH66 Pelham Blue Addict Premium Member

It depends. Do the Grovers on your guitar now have the screw hole at 6 o'clock or at 4 o'clock? If it's at 6, those should work. Grover also makes a 106g, which is the same tuner, but they are locking. No thumbwheel or screw to turn, just insert the string and wind. The internal cam locks onto the string and you tune to pitch in less than half a post turn. Makes string changes faster and easier, at least in my experience.

Danomyte likes this.
  3. moreles

moreles Senior Member

What do you mean, "right set"? Those milkbottle non-locking Grovers are period correct, but I don't know what ones JP used. Those are probably right, but if you want an exact match, someone will have to chime in, or maybe you can look up the specs. I love the look of Grovers on a LP -- way nicer than those spindly Klusons -- but they do add mass.

Danomyte likes this.
  4. Danomyte

Danomyte Senior Member

That's very helpful, fellas. Thanks! I didn't realize there was the difference in the screw holes. I also just assumed that all Grovers were locking :doh:...so you've definitely saved me some headache.

5. Blue Blood

Blue Blood Senior Member

Also theres bore size to get right.
    USA Grovers (at least my 2 sets) are .380"-.370" ,they have a slight taper.