Greta Van Zeppelin

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Caoimhin, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

There was a huge underground scene..and it went from hard rock to crappy garage rock overnight..it was a shitty time to be in a rock band here, unless you were a White Stripes rip off. Plus, there were other bands already doing that in that scene..(NONE of which I cared for) I guess you had to be here..

So in that sense, many feel he did kill rock as they knew it..not everyone likes that style...and many feel a band with out a bassist isn't really a band. Plus, he LIED about Meg being his sister, which is just creepy and weird.

Detroit does suck as far local music goes, and most of the artists that do go national are not a real representation of what is really going on here...or was..I haven't been actively gigging since 2015.

2. Malikon

Malikon 仮面ライダー V.I.P. Member

but has it got.......a shrubbery?

mdubya likes this.
  3. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Lots of wild Sweaty Bush in the 70's and 80's.

The trend was for a more manicured landscape as the 90's progressed.

:confused:

Kris Ford likes this.
  4. Caoimhin

Caoimhin Senior Member

Iggy Pop, MC5, and Death is a good enough reason to have bragging rights for life.

mdubya likes this.
  5. Telechamp

Telechamp Senior Member

Tough crowd here. I for one am glad to see youngsters playing good music.

jco.1, Kashmir, Sp8ctre and 1 other person like this.
  6. MikeyTheCat

MikeyTheCat Senior Member

I caught Wild Sweaty Bush at the Fillmore East. Just amazing.

7. Campbell

Campbell Senior Member

I tend to think he's a bit over-rated...and I don't nessasarily mean that in a bad way. That is to say, he is not a great guitarist, but he does infuse a lot of attitude and, what appears to be, genuine passion in what he does. He's a rock 'n roll guy that plays the guitar, not a guitarist extraordinaire, as it were. I know, it still sounds like I'm knocking him, but I'm not.

As far as this Greta Van Zeppelin goes...I had done more thinking about them...still pisses me off a bit...but, as I was thinking about it, if they only had a different singer, one who wasn't mimicking Plant, we all might be singing a different tune about them (no pun intended). You'd hear some Zep influence in their song stylings, without being assaulted with they Plant cliche driven hipster vocalist (oh yeah, he's a hipster, alright...just look at that tw@t!). So it's their vocalist that is bringing this band down, basically. So unlike a frontman to ruin a band, too (insert eye rolling emoji here).

Kris Ford likes this.
  8. Kashmir

Kashmir Senior Member

Funny that a decent rock band comes along in a seemingly 'rock is dead' modern world, and so many guitarists criticize the sound. I'll say it once again: the band is good, as well as the Plant-like vocals. Who else can actually sound like Plant - not many that I've ever been aware of. Some are close, but that dude is right-on. Gimme more!

Telechamp and Maynar like this.
  9. Malikon

Malikon 仮面ライダー V.I.P. Member

there are plenty of 'decent rock bands' that don't sound like they're trying to sound like another band.

glad you like it, but peoples criticisms are fair.

10. Kashmir

Kashmir Senior Member

Agreed. And there are plenty of musicians and bands who would love to sound like a previous successful band. They're just not capable.

11. DotStudio

DotStudio Senior Member

On the flipside, no one would even be talking about them if it wasn't for the "hipster vocalist ".

mdubya likes this.
  12. Kashmir

Kashmir Senior Member

Quite possible.

13. Campbell

Campbell Senior Member

It's not so much complaining as it is calling out fellow musicians for being lazy by doing a straight up copy of another band. No one is saying they aren't good musicians, it's just cheap and lazy.

All of us are influenced by those who came before. Even rock 'n roll's greatest plagiarist, Mr. Page (Homer Simpson's claims, not mine) has borrowed heavily from the blues greats that came before him, only he put his own stamp on their work. SRV was heavily influenced by Buddy Guy, Albert King and Hendrix, and you can hear it in his music, but he never impersonated them.

If these kids simply presented themselves as a Zep tribute band, I'm sure many here would praise their hard work and effort for how much they nailed some of those Zep sounds...even that damn singer. As I pointed out in my initial review of their video, kudos for younger folks playing rock in today's schlock pop/hip-hop laden landscape, but thumbs down for merely copying another band's style to the point of cringe worthy embarrassment. It's cheap, it's lazy. No sir, I don't like it.

Kris Ford likes this.
  14. Mr Insane

Mr Insane Senior Member

What angers me about this band is that they are only getting attention because they are imitating LZ. They don't have any memorable riffs or anything that people would actually remember on their own.

Meanwhile there are bands that have their own signature sound and doing something different.

The bands that I like usually only have small followings and play in clubs and bars.

Record, radio, and music executives are scumbags who only push what is safe.

If I was to post some bands that I like, 90% of you would be like "meh, they arent LZ or AC/DC"

Sp8ctre and Campbell like this.
  15. Kashmir

Kashmir Senior Member

Lazy? That's funny. I've seen and heard many make the attempt to sound like Zep. They can work at it all they like, but no matter how hard they try, they can't do it.

They don't need to be a tribute band. Their original songs are damn good.

Telechamp and Sp8ctre like this.
  16. DotStudio

DotStudio Senior Member

For what it's worth, the EP's title song doesn't really sound like zeppelin at all. Unless you think anybody with a high pitched voice sounds like Plant.

17. Campbell

Campbell Senior Member

"Hey Jimmy, can you believe they used to give me sh!t over my Plant impersonations..."
    [​IMG]
    To be fair, we all did. So stop crying over these little hipster tw@ts getting raked over the coals.
    This is what we do as a brotherhood of musicians; we call each other out on stuff like this. These
    "kids" should listen to us and revamp their band to sound less like a tribute band and more
    like themselves...if they can. Now, let's all apologize to Mr. Coverdale.

Kris Ford and Kashmir like this.
  18. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

their tour is sold out so looks like im probably not gonna see them. tickets were only $12 when they went on sale now resellers are asking like $50. f*ck that.

19. Kashmir

Kashmir Senior Member

Agreed. It sounds more to me like someone with a high voice singing a Rory Gallagher song. Let's argue that one. lol

20. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

sounds like early 2000's christian rock

mdubya likes this.