Greer Lightspeed

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by Gridlock, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Member

Planning on buying one of these real soon.

Anyone have any experience with this pedal into a non-master Marshall using a Les Paul?

2. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Member

Bump for help.

3. Liquid State

Liquid State Premium Member

don't have experience with it going into a Marshall, but have one on my board and it is my "go to" low gain OD. It pairs great with my Vox AC10, Princeton Reverb (no master) and my Mesa 5;25. I love it. It also stacks well with my other ODs (BB Preamp, RAT, Simble, and fuzz)
    To put in context, the Lightspeed has remained and the other low gain options: Timmy, FD2, TS, Fuchs Plush, Soul Food, and Prince of Tone are longer on my board.

bulletproof and Gridlock like this.
  4. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Member

Thanks, ordering a Lightspeed this weekend.

bulletproof likes this.
  5. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Member

Bought a Lightspeed. I’ll post a review once it I get to use it with the band.

j5jarod777 and bulletproof like this.
  6. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Senior Member

It's one of my favorite pedals, hope you dig it.

Gridlock likes this.
  7. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Member

Got the Lightspeed late this week, loving it so far with my 1962hw Bluesbreaker. I was actually thinking of selling the BB if this pedal did not work out.

Brought BB out in the living room today, along with the Lightspeed and my Goldtop LP, happy with the pedal at both medium and low volumes. The bigger livingroom with high ceilings (than my studio) really makes BB sound more open and full.

The Lightspeed works as advertised, super organic/transparent and does not kill the dynamics of the amp (seems to enhance).

The Lightspeed will get you into ZZ Top type overdrive and that’s about it, but that’s what I want.

Happy, and can’t wait to use the Bluesbreaker and Lightspeed with the band at this weeks rehearsal.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    Liquid State likes this.
  8. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Senior Member

Amazing combination! My pal uses a BB combo with his lightspeed and various gibson guitars and it sounds so killer.

9. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Member

We got an outdoor gig the end of the month. I want to take the Bluesbreaker (and my main amp an Astoria Custom). I’ll see how well band practice goes this week using the BB and Lightspeed. Sure it will work out.

By the way the Volume control on this pedal is great, not like my second favorite OD pedal, a J-Rocket Dude, that goes from very low to very loud within a quarter turn.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  10. Liquid State

glad it is working out for you.
    I picked up another Vox AC15 yesterday (the AC10 is great, but not nearly everything the 15 is). The LightSpeed had that amp singing last night, great combo as well.

Gridlock likes this.
  11. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Member

Congrats on your AC15, if I was going to buy a Vox, that would be the amp.

12. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Member

Still liking the Lightspeed a lot. Thinking of removing at least two other OD pedals from my board.

roknfnrol likes this.
  13. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Member

Moved two Wampler OD pedals off my board and added two effects pedals.

Now I have just three OD pedals on my board, a J-Rocket Blue Note, a J-Rocket Dude, and the Greer Lightspeed on my board.

14. zaqintosh

zaqintosh Junior Member

Played "edge of breakup" blues tones with Lightspeed for about 3 months, ended up switching back to my Way Huge Green Rhino (basically a Tube Screamer without the extreme mid hump and more EQ options built in) as my always on low gain OD. I tried really hard to like the Lightspeed, but looks like I'll be using it in my roster as a clean boost rather than always on low gain OD.

My analysis:

I play into a very clean Egnater Tweaker and rely entirely on pedals for my over driven / compression sound (tone will be different if you play into an already breaking up amp).

I found that when playing lower notes (open E string, or E string fretted at 1st or 3rd or 5th fret) the Lightspeed tended to sound too buzzy and wooly with the warm tone of the les paul. When I plugged my old Green Rhino back in instead (after using the Lightspeed exclusively for about 3 months) I immediately notice the lower end sounds / rifs had more clarity.. EVEN WITH the 100hz *thump* EQ setting cranked on the Green Rhino.. Still CLEAR sounding bass tones to my ear.

My assumption is this is because the Green Rhino mixes in more of the dry tone of the guitar than the Lightspeed does, and possibly applies it's EQ setting AFTER the gain circuit rather than EQing INTO the gain circuit on the Lightspeed. We all know that boosting bass frequences INTO an overdrive can have sub optimal results, and this is where the Green Rhino shines I think.

Anyhow curious if anyone else notices this?

I also tried the Lightspeed with my Strat, and this issue mostly vanished. Seems to be a thicker Humbucker problem with the Lightspeed. That said, if you use the Lightspeed as more of a clean boost into an already driven amp... Then you'll probably be fine as well, assuming you have the gain very low and "loudness" pumped up on the pedal.

15. Liquid State

I hadn't noticed that as an issue and I use it just as you do; into a clean amp (Princeton of a slight breaking up Vox)... but then I did pick up my pedal used, which means you are not the only person to find issues or have it not work with their set-up.