Greenback like speaker at least 65w for a 112 combo

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by LBG, Aug 7, 2017.

1. copperheadroad

copperheadroad Senior Member

I didn't suggest the WGS et-65 because i don't think it sounds like a greenback & I think it sounds more like a smoother Celestion G12T-75 .

northernguitarguy likes this.
  2. LBG

LBG Senior Member

Update for this old thread

I ended up getting a clearance priced Eminence Wizard for $63

It did what I needed it to do. Make my Peavey Encore sound more Marshall and boy does it.

Apparent it's a clone of the G12-H30 which is kinda greenbackish but I could be wrong

3. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

More importantly, how do you like the Emi Wiz?

4. LPV

LPV Senior Member

Off topic but I run my 45w amp into a single creamback 65, at times full out, without issue. I suspect a business decision to reduce warranty claims has led to newer celestions being really conservatively rated.

RAG7890 and northernguitarguy like this.
  5. LBG

LBG Senior Member

It's definitely got a permanent home in my Peavey. Even at low volumes the amp sounds so much fuller and bigger.

The gain sounded kinda "obviously a distortion pedal" on higher gain settings (though it's more of a medium gain amp) with its stock speaker. Which makes sense because Peavey would often use op amps similar to ones in pedals to add either a gain boost or a separate stage altogether in their tube amps.

The Wizard added a messload of clarity and definition to every chord while bringing the whole room to life with sound like a 4x12 coming out of a 1x12.

Power chords sound massive even at low gain. Now with the combination of my Greco LP with the DMZ paf 36's, the Peavey Encore and the Wizard, I get the sounds that my old 2204 jmp used to give me with that lower mid grit that only the early tube Peaveys had and it's what makes me search for these amps. Also when I kick on my bad monkey the whole gain spectrum gets almost brown sound like!

But yeah I may try another wizard out on my PV Bravo 112 if I get bored with the swamp thang in it.

Boss Katana maybe? Probably would get rid of some of that overly thick mids mine in particular has

6. Bluesky

Bluesky Premium Member

Scumback 65 Its a great blue collar speaker. Tons of them are for sale everywhere. Cant go wrong.

7. fry

fry Senior Member

The Wizard's sensitivity is about 103 db, it really cranks.