Greenback like speaker at least 65w for a 112 combo

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by LBG, Aug 7, 2017.

1. LBG

LBG Senior Member

I've got an old Peavey Encore 65 tube amp 1x12 combo that puts out a great Marshall jmp like classic rock tone and I'm looking to get it it a little closer to that sound with a greenback sounding speaker.

Basically I need at least a 65w speaker that isn't very expensive like Scumback or Celestion is

I like the sound clips I've heard of the Emi private jack and even more the GB128 but they're both 50w

I had an Eminence Texas Heat in it once and found it way too thick in mids and little to no treble for that amp if that gives you to go by. It didn't have a working speaker in it when I bought it. Currently has what I think is a Peavey scorpion and is nice but could be better

I mostly play LP's, an SG and humbucker'd Strats in it by the way.

Tell me your ideas and I'll listen! Thanks

2. Big John

Big John tastes like chicken V.I.P. Member

Emi Tonespotter

3. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Nitrobattery and bulletproof like this.
  4. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

Funnily enough the Celestion A type sounds very Greenback to me. 50 watts, though.

bulletproof likes this.
  5. irocdave12

irocdave12 Senior Member

Might wanna check out Warehouse Guitar Speaker they are very reasonable on price but get so many positive reviews from many magazines and gear reviews that I've become a convert of their speakers recently after only using celestion n weber

mdubya, musicmaniac and ac/dcfan87 like this.
  6. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

May I suggest you put a WTB in the Classifieds Section for this one: -

[​IMG]

You just never know your luck & the bonus is, it might have hours on it which is even better.

Here is the WGS's stated "equivalent" for $79.99: -

[​IMG]

Good luck.
    :cheers2:

mdubya and yamariv like this.
  7. LenPaul

LenPaul Premium Member

just as said,, the Celestial cream back , pretty close sounding to the old greenies.
    { that wasn't a typo)

yamariv likes this.
  8. blackat

blackat V.I.P. Member

Scumbacks are the only speaker I've found equal to or better than original Celestions.

drugprowlingwolf and ac/dcfan87 like this.
  9. KS 5150

KS 5150 Senior Member

Another vote for WGS speakers. I have them in my JCM 800 Combo & they sound phenomenal :thumb:

10. yamariv

yamariv Senior Member

Celestion 65w or 75 w Creamback. I have one of each in my 212 Avatar Cab and they sound like glorious beasts!!

ac/dcfan87 likes this.
  11. copperheadroad

copperheadroad Senior Member

Celestion g12 65 watt creamback
    probably the closest thing in the WGS brand would be the Reaper HP but it is only 50 watts .

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  12. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

Celestion G12H 75 Creamback. Here is Celestions description.
    "Back in the late 60s, the G12H was created by fixing an 'H' type (heavy) magnet to the body of a G12M guitar speaker. Result: a speaker with more power and a different tonal balance: firmer bass and a more pronounced top end. So we added an 'H' magnet to the G12M-65 Creamback, create a speaker that delivers the sonic signature of a G12H combined with Creamback levels of power handling. The result is the G12H-75 Creamback. It delivers 75-watts of power handling with ease and has unmistakeable G12H tone, with a tighter low end than the G12M-65 Creamback and a punchier, more dynamic high end. The H magnet brings additional focus, body and girth to the Creamback tone. It thickens single notes, resulting in a highly articulate, vocal character. These additional characteristics mean that the G12H-75 Creamback offers exceptional performance when used for lead guitar and sounds massive loaded into a 4x12 cab!"

13. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

I thought it was a good thing to have the wattage rating of your speaker to be less than the wattage your amp puts out. No?

14. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

It's very good if you want to blow a speaker, especially with a tube amp. Amp wattage refers to max headroom output, when tubes are pushed, they exceed the wattage as indicated by the manufacturer. Always go bigger with a speaker.

Rocco Crocco likes this.
  15. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

Ahhh. I had it backwards.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  16. drugprowlingwolf

drugprowlingwolf Senior Member

g12-65 is the ticket. Scumback or old celestions that have been flogged by a big old amp do the trick. My greeny UK reissue sounds more like a 70s blackback greeny - not as close to my prerola greenback. Scumbacks (especially prebroken in) are just on another level. The PVC scumbacks I bought sound a lot like my pulsonic prerola greeny.

There are cheaper options available that will get you close. IME the most important thing is that they're broken in.

FWIW, I routinely run my speakers hard - 50w Marshall into a 2x12 with 25w Greenbacks, AC30 into 2 15w Blues, etc. I've done this at gigging volumes for years without any issue except that I think my tone sounds a lot better because I have the whole rig working harder. Do I dime these amps? No. But they get turned up plenty loud. Do you plan on diming that amp frequently? i ran that same JMP into a single private jack - again, hard. No issues.

I think a g12-65 is your best bet no matter how you slice it - you've got plenty of great options if you go that route.

mdubya likes this.
  17. drugprowlingwolf

drugprowlingwolf Senior Member

Hm. Maybe I'm jinxing myself but I always run my setups like that. 75 JMP50 goes into 2 greenbacks. No problems. Similar thing with an AC30 into 15w Alnico Blues. Maybe it's because I roll my bass almost all the way off, but I've never had anything occur that made me consider stopping. My two cents. Obviously if you're uncertain about anything I'd err on the side of caution - I don't want anyone blowing up their old celestions because of this comment.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  18. musicmaniac

musicmaniac Senior Member

That's the ticket! I've got one and it sounds quite similar.

19. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

20. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Reading comprehension is low in this thread. :p