Greco PU-0 vs Boutique

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by eelpout, Jul 18, 2017.

1. eelpout

eelpout Junior Member

So how bad do these PU-0 humbuckers suck?

I have a Greco EG-800 which needs some basic electrical repair to the output jack. I had planned to play the thing for a few months before any modification in order to get a better feel for the guitar (and pickups), but gravity had other ideas and it's headed to the shop now. Replacing the pickups is something I figured I would probably do at some point (since my 1978 model doesn't have the revered PU-2 or Dry Z), but there is decidedly less information on the PU-0 so I thought I'd ask around to see what the thought was. Sounds like they are a hotter ceramic pickup, but that's about all I could find.

I'm looking for primarily classic rock tones, mostly 70s, but want the capability to go from nice clean tones to ACDC type stuff. Not quite up to the hair of GNR, et al, but I don't want to be limited either. Not interested in anything remotely modern as far as a hard rock tone That seems like it probably lands me in PAF type territory, maybe hot PAF? My aim for this guitar is slightly thicker, chunky type stuff. I already have a tele for twang. I think I'm down to the Motor City Black Belt or Second Degree Black Belt. Any thoughts between the two which might suit me better? I'll be playing through a Blackface Bassman with a master volume and dirt pedals primarily.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

2. wulfman

wulfman ABB Fan Premium Member

I have a few PU-0 and have had quite a few PU-2s as well. My impression is that the PU-0 sounds very similar to the PU-2 pickups. I think they just added a second set of adjustable pole pieces instead of the slugs that are on a regular PAF-style pickup. Note that I did have a PU-0 that had a thick ceramic magnet and 5 wires but the others I have had regular size Alnico magnets and were similar in resistance readings to PU-2s. (8k-ish). I'd advise to try the stock pickups and make sure to try adjusting the polepieces higher or lower to see what kind of variations you can get. You should be able to get decent classic rock tones out of them.

Kris Ford, eelpout and RyanC like this.
  3. eelpout

eelpout Junior Member

Interesting, I was under the impression they were a different beast altogether modeled after more of a super distortion as opposed to a PAF type pickup. Either way, your advice is probably sound. I at least need to give them a shot before replacing.

In this case, will I have any problems installing a new jack plate and output jack myself using parts purchased in the US (Switchcraft long shaft jack and All Parts jack plate)? I'm very comfortable soldering, but I'm not experienced enough with wood or guitars where I'd be comfortable doing ANY drilling where there aren't already existing pilot holes let alone expanding existing routs.

4. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Not sure about those...but the Greco "Screamin 82" sounds like a cross between a Super Distortion, and a T top.:D

eelpout likes this.
  5. wulfman

wulfman ABB Fan Premium Member

You have basically two connections to solder and the jack should fit in the hole ok as far as I can guess. For the jack plate I believe the holes were 25 mm apart on the Grecos but I am not 100% sure about the 70's models. Good luck!

eelpout likes this.
  6. Blue Blood

Blue Blood Senior Member

WCR Godwoods are the perfect Les Paul pickup IMO. I gave up Black Dogs for them.
    Total 70's T-top vibe.

7. 61LPSG

61LPSG Senior Member

I can't add anything to the pup selection, but I will say that you may want to pick a different jackplate. I had 2 of them snap in half just by installing. I even heated the 2nd one with a heatgun to prevent breakage.
    :photos: