Greco MIK by Cort Identification thread

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by El Greco, May 25, 2016.

1. Satellitedog

Satellitedog Senior Member

Thanks for the comparison Vonserke!

I have recorded short snippets on both pickups today and will edit and post them tomorrow in the Tonefreaks section of MLP. I don't know what's going on with the pickups in the SG, but I'm not a guitar tech either. The current sound is less alive, less inspiring than I hoped it to be, so I'll take it to my local luthier next week for a general check up and measurements, and see what he thinks can be done to make it more raunchy.

2. El Greco

El Greco Senior Member

The standards on the other hand, are not so common as custom models and more difficult to id from a distance or crappy pics on YJ!

MIJ headstock with yellow mop inlay, Mint Collection truss rod cover and rounded bone nut

[​IMG]

MIK headstock with thicker and darker Greco inlay, blank Gibson style trc and brick shape nut

[​IMG]

Big white plastic inlays indicate a Cort Greco[​IMG][​IMG]

Greco in Mint Collection Standards and SGs used very nice inlays, even the lower models have them, such as EG-59-45 and EG-59-50

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also MIK Grecos had cream plastic covers (switch and controls cavity)

[​IMG]

unlike MIJ with black covers

[​IMG]

And the tennon differences
    typical MIJ tennon (Fujigen) it is rounded and extends from the bottom of the cavity, usually has the colour of the guitar (no conductive paint)

[​IMG]

Cort tennon is also long but in the same level with the bottom of the cavity and covered with black conductive paint

[​IMG]

Finally Cort Grecos don't have serial numbers. A Greco without serial is not always MIK cause Tokai made some Mint Collections at some point with no serials as well!

MIJ Greco serials are

the five digit style (first digit is the year)
    [​IMG]

and the 6 digit plus a letter (indicates the month and 2 first digits the year)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  3. wulfman

wulfman ABB Fan Premium Member

Thanks for putting all this info together. The only thing I can add is a Terada-made Greco tenon which is also common in the late 80's and the Tokai-made Greco tenon.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. El Greco

El Greco Senior Member

Yeah I didn't put that tennon
    [​IMG]

cause I wasn't sure if it is Terada or not! Thank you Wulf!

zolko, o0mobius0o and Satellitedog like this.
  5. Satellitedog

Satellitedog Senior Member

2 people like this.
  6. 21stcsm

21stcsm Senior Member

Great stuff!!!

7. Udonitron

Udonitron Psychedelic Stoner Rock Premium Member

Do not overlook the ever poignant open "e" as well. ;)

1 person likes this.
  8. El Greco

El Greco Senior Member

I'm bringing this thread back from the dead, because it seems that not all MIK Greco Customs were made with ebonite fretboard! Here is one that Bat*** is currently selling, with rosewood (?) fretboard, normal size inlays and little different pickup baseplates!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o605/vonserke/greco lp/s-l1600 3_zpsvmnm9wxu.jpg

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o605/vonserke/greco lp/s-l1600 2_zpsuv1tbgry.jpg

http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/o605/vonserke/greco lp/s-l1600 1_zpsnvl4qadg.jpg

Carry on gentlemen...

9. zolko

zolko Junior Member

This is the best thread in that forum to identify various Greco late Mint Collection (and not only) Les Pauls.
    It should be sticked.
    So Grecos were made in four factories:
    Fujigen
    Tokai
    Terada
    Cort (Korea)
    Hard to believe how many MIK (Cort) Grecos are selled on ebay as Made in Japan, From Japan. Sounds like conspiracy byt sellers avoid to show nut shape on photos, not mention showing tenon joint.
    Thank you guys!

10. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Senior Member

True, many even claim outright that they are made in Japan, which is FRAUD.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338014323&icep_item=272963028700

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338014323&icep_item=162751797791

And they are also asking prices higher than many legitimate Japanese models.

El Greco likes this.
  11. bertrand4070

bertrand4070 Senior Member

it is clear the mik custom are mostly ebonite, but is it possible some tokai-made custom have ebony board or they are all (mostly) ebonite to ?