Greco MIK by Cort Identification thread

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by El Greco, May 25, 2016.

1. El Greco

El Greco Senior Member

Since there was a lot of talking recently about MIK Grecos, I thought we should start a thread about them, and gather all our knowledge here! There is limited info and pics about them and scattered in various threads, making it difficult for a new member to identify what he just scored on YJ!
    Any reviews from members will be very helpful, cause the only thing you can't tell from photos alone, is the playability and the feel of the guitar! Don't forget that these Grecos are probably not dogs, just not MIJ!

Let's start with the LP Custom model cause is the most common and it seems that it was produced in great numbers! The first thing we look in the headstock is the split diamond inlays and the Greco logo, which is thicker and darker than the Mint Collection open ''o''. Here are two examples

The MIJ is from white mother of pearl and thinner
    [​IMG]

The MIK also looks like mop but darker in colour (almost silver) and thicker
    [​IMG]

The truss rod cover is different, the MIJ trc has a unique shape and the MIK is a Gibson style bell shape.

Also the MIKs have a characteristic brick shape white plastic nut like this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and the MIJ Grecos a classic cream bone nut with rounded edges.
    [​IMG]

The fretboard on Cort Grecos is ebonite (artificial substitute for ebony wood) and most of them have noticeably bigger block inlays than the MIJ or other LP customs!
    [​IMG]

To be continued.....

2. Blinkers

Blinkers Banned

Thanks for the info. Was curious about that lately.

3. J-Dizzle

J-Dizzle Senior Member

Did the MIK Grecos ever use the "flowerpot" headstock inlay?

4. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Senior Member

Interesting, I've always been curious about those. How do we know they were made by Cort?

5. El Greco

El Greco Senior Member

No, only the split diamond. The "flowerpot" is a safe choice for a MIJ Greco!

1 person likes this.
  6. El Greco

El Greco Senior Member

Well mostly from routing and cavities, potentiometers used by Cort, nut shape etc. Sometime in the past, I had read the whole story from Kanda Shokai/Greco, but the link is not working now! A good source is wikipedia, but there are many others on the web (including the ''Unofficial official anything GRECO theory photo id related thread'')

7. Satellitedog

Satellitedog Senior Member

Good idea vonserke! I've just finished taking numerous photos of my white MIK Greco SG standard and will compile a set of them, and get back here.

I can say the SG is well made, but I do have some issues with it (as some of you have already read in other threads). Some are cosmetic, some are design related, and some I'll need advice to solve.

PS.: Does anyone know why an avatar picture that is on the profile page, won't appear next to thread posts?

1 person likes this.
  8. El Greco

El Greco Senior Member

Maybe it's the profile's picture and not the avatar? It's little confusing actually

1 person likes this.
  9. Satellitedog

You are absolutely right. The avatar is in a separate section of the menu.

10. Satellitedog

Alright, here come some photos of the MIK SG and some cosmetic nit-pickery about what otherwise is a decent, solidly built and well playing guitar:

The headstock inlays have an abalone-like iridescence, and while they look decent in photos,
    I find them cheap looking in hand. They don't seem to have any depth, and I'm wondering if these
    are just really slim sheets of plastic. They can look sticker-ish, but the logo isn't tidy enough to be a sticker.
    Nonetheless, we've seen uglier Greco logos around here. Also notice this brutish brick of a nut.

[​IMG]

Also check out the super cheap fretboard inlays. They glisten in the sun like cheap pillow case buttons.

[​IMG]

Here's the headstock again. The basic shape looks right, it's big and wide (check out current Burnys, they have a narrow and soft-edged
    variation on the design, which looks cramped and unbalanced compared to this), but the open book's "seam" is the wrong shape,
    diminishing the perfection of the original. Also these Cort SGs have a scarf jointed headstock, as you can see in the 3rd picture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The body looks decent, and has vintage style deep contouring on the top edge, which is lovely. The inner bevels in the horn cutaways
    are not as deep as the real deal, and there's no bevel on the backside of the lover horn, which I don't mind, but some purists may find scandalous...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also unlike Bacchus or Edwards SGs (well some of them) these have the "cold-chisel" type, non-tapering horn points, and they
    are more rounded than I'd like them to be. It's a matter of taste, but I really like the very pointed, very crisply sculpted versions.
    The thick looking poly doesn't help either.

[​IMG]

Also it is heavier than an average SG, it is 7.6 lbs / 3.45 Kgs. I found another Cort made SG standard for sale,
    that one in Cherry Red, which weighed a whopping 8.1 lbs, so I suggest asking the weight of any Cort made Greco before you buy.

P.S.: the knobs and electronics (minus the pups) have been swapped/upgraded by the previous owner,
    I have no idea what the original pots, switch and caps looked like.

5 people like this.
  11. El Greco

El Greco Senior Member

Thanks for the great review! I like it! Looks nice, plays good, it's a decent SG for little money. What's not to like? Maybe the inlays but that's not have an impact on the playability of the guitar! I'd like some pickup cavity shots, when you have the time! Rock on!

12. Satellitedog

Yeah, I'm hesitant about spending more on the guitar. I might change the pickups eventually. The output is good, but it is a bit polite and too warm. I don't know if it's about the pickup height, or the pickups themselves, but as you can see the pickup covers look pretty cheap (they looked like coated plastic at first, but they are metal), so they are most likely the original factory Corts.
    I'm still getting used to the guitar, so maybe I'll have it set up (although it plays well, but I'd like my luthier to take a look at it) and have him look at the electronics and measure the pups. If I keep the guitar, I'd probably swap the neck humbucker to a hb size P90 for more bite and some SG style snarl. It's quite boomy at the moment.

13. Satellitedog

Oh I forgot to mention that the body is a well proportioned three piece under the solid finish.

14. PermissionToLand

IDK if Cort had ever made an SG copy before that. There aren't any in their catalogs (that I've seen). When were these MIK Grecos produced?

15. Satellitedog

Late '80s, early '90s?

16. Satellitedog

On a semi-off topic angle: who did Cort build Japanese market guitars for, historically? I know they produce stuff for big global brands, but I mean lawsuit style Japan only instruments.

17. PermissionToLand

I came across this Maison LP that I believe was made by Cort:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not quite a lawsuit but Japanese market. And another I came across on Yahoo Japan:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. Satellitedog

Is there any info on Cort-Greco pickups? The SG according to the original listing has the stock ones in it, and it would be nice to know what I'm dealing with. I have no multimeter to measure resistances.

19. PermissionToLand

I know Samick typically used Ceramics around 8k, and Corts were often pretty similar in specs (in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they both used Jin-Ah as their supplier). Unless they used different PUPs for the Grecos.

1 person likes this.
  20. El Greco

El Greco Senior Member

One thing for sure is that they didn't use the Mint Collection pickups (Screamin 82) so probably was Korean supplier!

MIJ Screamin 82 pickups with braided wire long leg baseplate and screw holes on one side
    [​IMG]

MIK pickups - short legs baseplate, red plastic wire and no holes for polescrews

[​IMG]

zolko and Satellitedog like this.