Greco LES PAUL CUSTOM -- new guitar incoming!! Thoughts?? [pics inside]

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by krugerj, Nov 2, 2017.

1. krugerj

krugerj Junior Member

Hey guys,

It's been a while since I've posted on the forum, how are y'all doing?

So I recently made a Rinkya account to bid on some Japanese guitars (HUUUUGE mistake for my bank account), and like a moron bid on something absent-mindedly, and ended up winning the bid by accident! So I wanted to share the guitar I now own and is currently on it's way over from here! It is (probably) a Greco EG-600 PB Peter Frampton, although the listing did not specify because it was being sold by a non-guitarist as [JUNK].

On a side note, Rinkya's fees are a bit nuts, but I knew what I was getting myself into -- still, the price literally doubled, I won this for 307 USD, and ended up paying 550 USD for it with fees + shipping; still a pretty good deal though. It's going to be a bit of a fixer-upper with the rusty frets and the dry fretboard and the grime all over it, but hopefully it works out! Here's hoping the neck is in good order and it ships overseas without losing it's headstock.

Another Yahoo-box album with more close up detailed pics: https://box.yahoo.co.jp/guest/slide...1&uniqid=ee13d591-5b1d-4835-9389-2014089be534

Let me know what you guys think!!

body.jpg full.jpg rma1570-img640x480-1508831377n0wng79775.jpg

2. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

Hi!
    There seems to be some signs of a paint job at least around the pickups,
    near the nut and stuff. Paint touch-up or full paint job?
    Frets seem down to "not much left".

I'm no Greco expert but it's probably worth what you paid for it
    so you won't lose or lose too much if you decide to sell it.

Let us know when you get it.

3. bertrand4070

bertrand4070 Senior Member

any serial number on the back of the head ?

4. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

Interesting looking pickups, Anyone know anything about them?

[​IMG]

5. stp

stp Member

nice

6. krugerj

krugerj Junior Member

Hm, doesn't seem like a refin to me, might just have been bad paint at the factory. The frets look to me more like "Fretless Wonder" frets rather than filed down to nothing! Doesn't look like it's been touched in a long time, the strings are rusty and one has just been broken for who knows how long -- hoping the neck hasn't been thrown out of wack. That's my conclusion as well, it came out to around 700 CAD in total, which is around what they seem to go for in good condition; might have lost a bit on it. :facepalm:

No serial number to speak of in the photos! When I get the guitar, I'll see if one has been pressed in, but there are no pics of the back of the headstock in the listing or anywhere unfortunately.

bertrand4070 likes this.
  7. Kostas.

Kostas. Senior Member

If the neck shape suits you and the truss rod works everything else is easily fixable. Compared to how a Gibson LPC costs (new or used) it's a bargain and I'm guessing the quality is similar.

8. nigelthebald

nigelthebald Member

Rinkya packaging is amazing. Your headstock should be fine.

9. brokentoeswalker

brokentoeswalker Senior Member

It looks like a late 70's model by the headstock, nibs, and pancake construction. Congrats !!

'78 Catalog

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    krugerj likes this.
  10. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

The only thing I noticed is, that it's backwards.

;)

11. Troy McClure

Troy McClure Senior Member

No serials on the earlier Grecos, looks like a lefty EG600P. I can't see any touch up or bad paint job other than a little bit on the headstock. Round the pups is just a reflection of the pup rings to me. Looks in decent condition from the photos , new set of strings and wire wool the frets and you should be good to go certainly can't see any grooves in the frets and the Japanese do seem to leave them under beds and the strings rust and frets get grubby from the climate. Lefties are rare enough so an original 3 pup Greco for 700 CAD I doubt you'd lose on it. Most of these Japanese LP's are built like tanks so a bit of spit and polish and you should have a decent vintage guitar. I've had plenty from Japan with rusty strings but yet to have one with a duff neck.

12. Angus Blackmore

Angus Blackmore Member

IMG_2767.JPG I'm no Greco expert but had the chance to play the pictured Greco custom, late 80s, when recording my band's latest album a few months ago. It belonged to the producer's son. Extremely heavy @ 10 lbs plus, and it sounded quite raw. It wasn't set up great but you could feel the quality. However it had a very thin neck, too thin for the overall body weight in my opinion. Then again my current no 1 is a '14 trad with a baseball bat neck. However it was still miles better than any epiphone I've played. The Greco you pictured looks much nicer than the one I tried. For what you paid, you got a great deal. Even if you don't love it, it will be an easy sale.

13. krugerj

krugerj Junior Member

Alright, I have received it today, headstock is all on one piece! The electronics don't work at all and it doesn't seem to be in the greatest shape at all, but the neck seems straight and everything seems there. It didn't come in a case, but I commend Rinkya shipping, it was packed really well!! Here are some quick pictures I took. If you guys want I can make another thread!

The serial number is very very hard to see (almost looks refinished), but it doesn't seem to have been refinished if the control cavity is any indication. Thoughts?

The serial number in a certain light looks to me to be "E788376".

IMG_5286.jpg IMG_5287.jpg IMG_5290.jpg IMG_5291.jpg IMG_5295.jpg IMG_5298.jpg IMG_5299.jpg IMG_5302.jpg IMG_5303.jpg IMG_5304.jpg

Attached Files:

14. krugerj

krugerj Junior Member

Some pics of the pickup cavities etc.!

IMG_5311.jpg IMG_5313.jpg IMG_5314.jpg IMG_5316.jpg IMG_5318.jpg IMG_5319.jpg IMG_5320.jpg IMG_5321.jpg IMG_5323.jpg IMG_5325.jpg IMG_5326.jpg IMG_5327.jpg IMG_5329.jpg

Attached Files:

15. guidothepimmp

guidothepimmp Senior Member

congrats. check the jack wiring to start, maay have corroded, otherwise, bit of spit n polish and she hould be a player

16. kiko

kiko Senior Member

Old grecos are good guitars. A lot of these come with thin, narrow necks and some came with Maxon pickups that i personally like.

Nice guitar!